Just a quick one today- because by the time you read this, I will be hundreds of miles away! We’re headed up to Lake Placid for our annual family vacation. I am so ready…
Right before we left, I made a sun-dried tomato vinaigrette for a pasta salad that I was going to eat in the car. Grilled chicken, whole wheat penne, baby spinach… I take road trip food very seriously. With the leftover dressing, I made this potato salad. Creamy fingerlings are gently simmered until just tender, and then cooled before slicing. The potatoes are tossed with dollops of rich, sun-dried tomatoes which happen to be quite thick (almost like a paste). A heavy hand blankets the dish with fresh summer herbs. Really get in there and make it good; add a bit more vinegar, seasoning, and herbs as you like.
What you don’t see pictured here, are the blanched green beans that I added at the last minute for dinner- that’s a good one.
Well friends, it’s officially vacation time over here! Looking forward to some fresh mountain air, s’mores, and cocktails by the fire. I hope you all are enjoying your summer wherever you are in the world! xx E
Sun-dried tomato basil vinaigrette
- 1/2 c. roughly chopped sun-dried tomatoes, packed in oil
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 6 basil leaves, roughly chopped
- salt + pepper, to taste
- 1 lb. fingerling potatoes, left whole
- 1/3 c. roughly chopped parsley
- handful of basil leaves, cut into ribbons
*Taste this salad as you go, adding a bit more vinegar, seasoning, and herbs if you like.
- To make the vinaigrette, add all of the ingredients to a mini food-processor or blender. Add 1 tbsp. of oil from the jar sun-dried tomatoes. Run the machine until blended; the mixture will be chunky. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Place the potatoes into a pot, and add just enough water to cover. Bring to a gentle boil and then reduce the heat to low. Simmer for about 20 minutes, or until a potato easily releases when pierced with a pairing knife. Drain and set aside to cool.
- Slice the potatoes in half lengthwise, and place into a large bowl.
- Add dollops of tomato vinaigrette and toss gently with a large spoon.
- Add the fresh herbs.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve at room temperature.