Perfect vegetable side dish? This is it. Garlic scapes are the shoots that grow out of garlic bulbs. They’re super simple to prepare — saute with lemon and butter, and savor every last bite!
Fiesty little things, no? These are garlic scapes. In late spring/ early summer, they pop up at farmer’s markets and CSA boxes all over the country. If you see them, grab a bunch. What a seasonal treat!
So, what are they?
Garlic scapes are the shoots of a growing garlic bulb, They look like long, green spirals with scraggly tips. Sometimes, they even have buds at the end. What’s interesting, is that garlic is harvested twice: one for the curly scapes and the other for the bulb itself.
What do Garlic Scapes Taste Like?
When cooked, they are mild and slightly sweet in flavor (think roasted garlic) and boast an asparagus-like texture. Such a unique combo. When served raw, such as a garlic scape pesto, they are a bit more pungent.
Recipes to try?
There are several ways to prepare garlic scapes; they make an excellent vegetable side dish.
You’ll love this simple recipe with lemon butter. It requires zero planning and very little effort. Ready in under 10 minutes! It’s an excellent introduction.
PS: Garlic scapes also delicious grilled (serve with steak!), used as a pizza topping or diced into cheesy omelettes. No matter how you prepare them, the smell of warm, fragrant garlic will tantalize your senses. Delicious.Print
Perfect vegetable side dish? This is it. Garlic scapes are the shoots that grow out of garlic bulbs. They’re super simple to prepare — saute with lemon and butter and savor every last bite!
- 1 bunch of garlic scapes
- 1 tb. unsalted butter
- olive oil
- salt & pepper
- Trim the ends and tips off of your garlic scapes. Cut into manageable pieces that will fit into a large skillet.
- Over medium heat, warm the butter and a splash of olive oil.
- Add your garlic scapes to the pan. Season with salt and pepper and sautee for about 3-5 minutes. Add a splash of water and cover with a lid. Continue to cook for another 3-5 minutes.
- Your garlic scapes are finished when they are crisp tender.
- Transfer to a serving dish and squeeze over some fresh lemon. Add salt and pepper to your liking.