Guess what time it is?
IT’S PRE ORDER TIME!
Have you purchased your copy of Artisan Sourdough Made Simple?
I have to tell you, I am so proud of this book.
From morphing my ghetto-fabulous kitchen into a full time bakery, to writing endless chapters out of my bedroom with a cat perched on my lap, and scouring the internet for vintage props until 2 AM (from Tasmania to be exact- I found a great shop on Etsy!), every single moment of this project has been painstakingly worth it.
You want to know why?
Because this book was a journey of the heart.
It was also a labor of love. And as cliché as it all sounds we do strange things for love. It pushes us out of our comfort zone in pursuit of curiosity, excitement, and mystery. When you strip it down to its very core, in my opinion that’s what sourdough is all about.
It’s always been a dream of mine to write a beginner’s guide, and to represent those eager to get started but confused about where to begin. That was me! My goal with this book was to simplify the process while staying true to the art, making it more approachable for both beginners and seasoned bakers alike.
And now, what started as a dream is your new go-to guide!
So what’s inside?
The number one question I’ve been asked over the years is how to create a sourdough starter.
So, first and foremost you’ll learn how to make your very own starter to use with the recipes in this book (if you already have one, that’s fine too).
Now, please, please, please don’t be intimidated by sourdough starters. Somewhere along the line they’ve earned a diva-like reputation requiring all sorts of time and attention. It doesn’t help that every baker has a different way of doing things which makes it even more confusing.
But I want you to understand something: there are NO rules with sourdough, just guidelines and my hope is that this book will streamline the process. Just go at your own pace. Be kind to yourself. And, if there’s a little voice inside your head trying to grab your attention, do me a favor: listen.
Sourdough is part science (oops, I almost wrote silence) and part intuition. If you hang onto the recipe too tight you’ll miss all of the beautiful signs along the way.
Okay, so what else?
Once your starter is bubbling and ready to go, so are you!
My Everyday Sourdough is a great place to start your baking adventures. This is my basic go-to recipe. The dough is easy to handle and the instructions are straight forward and simple to follow. If you like sandwich bread, another suggestion would be my Country Farmhouse White. I make this every week for my family and it literally lasts for one day, tops!
My editor has made it several times too, and her husband likes it so much he told her not to make anything else!
More Useful Info About The Book:
- All of my doughs are essentially ‘no-knead’ and benefit from a convenient overnight rise. This is the easiest way to work sourdough into a busy, modern schedule.
- The measurements are listed in both grams and cups. I prefer to weigh all of my ingredients on a kitchen scale for consistent results. However, I understand the metric system can be a point of contention for some people so I’ve included the approximate volume amounts as well. Decide what’s best for you!
- I use King Arthur Flour. This quality brand is excellent for baking and is available at most grocery stores in the U.S (you can also order online). Use this flour as a starting point if possible. I also like Trader Joe’s all-purpose flour which I use to feed my starter- it goes crazy for it! If you don’t have access to these flours, choose another quality brand that is unbleached and chemical free.
- Additional chapters include: Recipes for Leftover Sourdough Starter, Whole-Grains & Specialty Flours, Sweet & Savory Artisan Loaves (make the Decadent Chocolate Chip- yum!), Pan Loaves, Focaccia, Bread Art and so much more.
- Worried about shaping techniques? In the back of the book, you’ll learn simple ways to shape round and oval loaves, rolls, and sandwich bread. You’ll also learn different types of scoring patterns for when you’re ready to go all Picasso on your bread. Each technique includes plenty of step-by-step photos so you’ll know EXACTLY what to do.
Where Can I Buy the Book?
So glad you asked! This book is available in the U.S & Internationally.
When you pre-order now, it will be shipped on October 24th 2017 which is my publication date. Plus, it’s currently offered at the lower pre-order price so grab a few copies for holiday presents ;) And don’t forget to share this book with all of your baking friends!
- Amazon (Prime members enjoy free shipping + speedy two day delivery!)
- The Book Depository (FREE WORLDWIDE SHIPPING)
- Barnes & Noble
And of course, where ever books are sold.
♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦
I’m incredibly fortunate to have written this book. I really pushed myself to create approachable, yet inspiring recipes while anchoring myself to the moment and remembering to make it fun. Sourdough is a tradition that is meant to be shared and I can’t thank you enough for all of your kind comments, pictures, and feedback over the years. I’m excited to see what you bake from this book!
On a personal note, I wouldn’t be where I am today without the encouragement of my dear friend Celia. She spearheaded my sourdough journey and her spirited zest for life has inspired to me live out loud, write from the heart, and most of all bake from the soul. To a friend I’ve never met in person (but have known for many lifetimes) I am forever grateful for her infectious enthusiasm from the bottom of my heart.
I have to tell you one last thing before my computer starts smoking from all this typing…
I mentioned earlier that this book was a journey of the heart, remember?
When you have a minute take a look at the front cover of the book (about 3 o’clock). Do you see it? Two slices of bread form a little heart right there in the bowl! I didn’t even realize it! My mom’s friend Nancy pointed this out.
Someone once told me that the best things are always hidden in plain sight. And that my friends, without a doubt is the magic of sourdough.
Welcome to the journey…