I’m always looking for new ways to prepare zucchini. Typical household favorites include this soft sourdough zucchini bread, these jammy zucchini quesadillas and this amazing lemony courgette linguine. The possibilities are never ending (so is zucchini season).
But more often than not, we tend to grill zucchini and call it a day. It’s quick, easy, and when paired with fresh basil and a zippy shallot vinaigrette, this summertime white bean salad will transport you to the south of France in just one bite!
HOW TO MAKE PROVENÇAL WHITE BEAN ZUCCHINI SALAD
First, prepare the marinade: dice up a large shallot and combine with tangy red wine vinegar, olive oil, and woodsy dried and fresh oregano. Marinating the shallots will lessen the raw onion-y bite, which is great in a salad like this. It’s like a flavor-packed quick pickle.
Second, grill the zucchini. Make sure to create a nice char to really concentrate the natural flavor. Then rough chop the zucchini and toss with the shallot marinade while still warm. Add cannellini beans for a creamy and delicate texture.
Third, use fresh herbs! Whether it’s tarragon, parsley, chervil or basil the French love adding fresh herbs to their dishes. I chose opal basil for something different.
What is Opal Basil?
Also known as dark purple basil, it’s a unique variety of its leafy green predecessor. Opal basil tastes just like regular basil, perhaps slightly stronger and can be used in all kinds of recipes. The aroma is fantastic. I contemplated making pesto with it, but thought it might look a little noir.
Enjoy this white bean salad right away or chill up to three hours. The longer it sits the better it will taste! It’s fantastic on grilled sourdough bread, as a side dish with roasted chicken and fish, or as a light lunch with a wedge of goat cheese on the side. And it’s naturally gluten free, vegetarian and vegan!Print
This quick and easy Provencal white bean zucchini salad will transport you to France in just one bite! Naturally gluten free and vegan. Best served warm or at room temperature.
- 2–3 medium zucchini
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- coarse salt & freshly ground black pepper
White Bean Salad
- 1 large shallot, diced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 3 sprigs of fresh oregano, optional
- 2 cups cooked cannellini beans or 1x (14 oz) can, rinsed & drained
- large handful of basil leaves, green & purple
- Preheat your grill to high.
- For the zucchini, trim away the ends and slice into planks, about 1-inch thick. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- To prepare the salad, add the shallots, olive oil, red wine vinegar, dried oregano, and fresh oregano sprigs to a large bowl. Mix well to combine. Let the mixture sit out at room temperature to marinate while you grill the zucchini. It will lessen the raw onion flavor in the shallots.
- Grill the zucchini until lightly charred, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a cutting board. When cool enough to handle, dice into bite-sized pieces.
- Stack the basil leaves on top of each other. Cut across into thin ‘ribbons.’
- Add the zucchini, beans and basil to the to the bowl. Season lightly with salt and pepper and toss well. Give it a taste, and add more vinegar or seasoning to balance the flavors.
- Serve warm, at room temperature or chill up to 3 hours.
Keywords: white bean salad, zucchini recipes, summer recipes, easy, French recipes, no cook