I love my slow cooker.
Throwing a bunch of stuff into an electric pot and letting it cook all day is very appealing. It’s that whole ‘set it & forget it’ mentality. For this recipe, I defrosted boneless, skinless chicken thighs from the freezer and combined it with tomatoes and white beans (I was thinking chili). Of course, when I went digging around for my chili spices I couldn’t find any, so I improvised with taco seasoning instead.
Can you even do that?
I guess so, because it tasted great! I’m not even sure if there is a difference between chili and taco seasoning… I think it has to do with the cumin? Nevertheless, putting this dish together was a snap; it only took about 5 minutes of prep time (ok, maybe 7- I couldn’t find the can opener) and minimal clean up. And now that dinner was sorted, I had all the time in the world to do laundry and chase after naked kids in the backyard.
Six hours later, I was rewarded with a warm, healthy bowl of chili.
Do you have a slow cooker? What are some of your favorite meals? Do tell!
- Commercial spice blends tend to contain chemicals and preservatives. If you’re like me, and are sensitive to MSG, sulfur dioxide (and other mysterious things that you cannot pronounce) stock up with all-natural seasonings, or make your own blend.
- If you prefer, you can substitute with pre-cooked chicken, or chicken breasts for this recipe. I like to use organic, free-range chicken thighs as it is the perfect cut for braising. It’s less expensive too.
slow-cooker chicken chili
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 6 hours
- Total Time: 6 hours 5 mins
- Yield: 6
- 1 1/2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken thighs or breasts
- 1 red onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 x 14.5 oz. cans of diced tomatoes
- 1–2 tbsp. chili or taco seasoning
- 1/4 tsp. oregano
- 1/4 tsp. chipotle powder (optional)
- 1x 14.5 oz can of white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 c. cilantro, roughly chopped
- fresh cilantro
- yogurt or sour cream
- lime wedges
- shredded cheese
- sliced black olives
- pickled jalapenos
- Place the first 4 ingredients into a 5 quart slow cooker.
- Add the tomatoes, seasonings, oregano, and chipotle powder (if using.) Stir to combine.
- Cook the chili on low for 6 hours.
- Remove the chicken and shred the meat using 2 forks. Add back into the slow cooker.
- Add the beans.
- Cook on high until the chili is heated through.
- Taste, and adjust seasoning with more chili or taco spices if necessary.
- Stir in the cilantro.
- Serve warm with your favorite toppings.
I’ve been cooking for many decades, but am a slow cooker novice. Can you please give me an idea of how long it will take to heat the chicken/beans on high when added? Assume just 10-15min.? Thank you.
Alessandra (DinnerinVenice) says
Gorgeous! As usual! Always looking for more ways to use my slow cooker. Yum!
barbara Giacometti says
Looks so good. The weather has gotten so warm again here in NorthEast MS., this is on my list as soon as it gets cool again. Can’t wait!! Love it!
This sounds delicious! I’m having technical difficulties with my crock pot today – could I adjust this recipe to cook it on the stovetop?
Absolutely! I would saute the onions, garlic & seasonings (in olive oil) until soft. Add the chicken thighs. Add the tomatoes and simmer on low heat (lid on) for about 1.5 – 2 hours, or until the meat is pull apart tender. Add the beans & cilantro right before serving.
I hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions! I’m happy to help :)
That sounds perfect. Thanks so much Emilie! :)
You’re quite welcome Kathryn! Enjoy :)
Laney (Ortensia Blu) says
Just when I was looking for something new for the slow cooker your terrific recipe appears! Perfect timing and love everything in this recipe especially the white beans…
Barb Bamber says
I love my slow cooker as well! What an awesome recipe, I’m getting my cooker out.. we had a ton of snow today, I wish I had that chili cooking right now. (I recognize that pretty plate.. don’t you love it:) xx
Kelly @ Inspired Edibles says
Absolutely delicious! There’s nothing like the convenience of the slow cooker and when the result is this tasty it’s a win/win — I’ll I need now is a wedge of lemon on the side ;-). Heheh, your son is so cute!
(I can’t wait till my slow cooker arrives from Canada… we are still in transition and I am trying hard not to buy doubles of everything but I’m lost without the essentials!!).
I made this today and it is delicious! Thanks for sharing!
Laura (Tutti Dolci) says
Please pass me a spoon so I can dig into this chili!
Maria | Pink Patisserie says
So, so pretty, and so easy! I love my slow cooker too. I agree with you about the spice thing. I only make my own taco seasoning now and it’s WAY better and so much better for you! I think I know now what will be for dinner this weekend!