in my summer kitchen…

in my summer kitchen | theclevercarrot.com

When I was a kid, I was always curious to see what my friends had in their kitchen.

Sugar cereal? Candy? Entenmann’s? Show me the loot!

You have to understand, my mom sent me to school with homemade carrot-raisin slaw packed in 1970’s (brown) Tupperware. I was that kid.

Today, I invite you to explore my kitchen.

in my summer kitchen | theclevercarrot.com

Strawberries!

We’ve been eating juicy, homegrown berries by the handful this year. It’s incredible. The fact that these berries come up on their own with minimal weeding, makes me feel… what’s the word… empowered? (Driscoll’s ain’t got nothing on me!)

Not pictured: fresh whipped cream for dunking.

In my kitchen…

in my summer kitchen | theclevercarrot.com

… is a skillet stir-fry.

My CSA started last week and I’ve been showered with the most glorious vegetables.

These sweet, Japanese salad turnips only take minutes to cook. I included their whole peppery leaves (which I should have chopped first to make them more tender) and a squirt of fresh lemon. Pretty purple chive flowers add a touch of onion-y flavor.

In my kitchen…

in my summer kitchen | theclevercarrot.com

… a goodie bag!

A couple of months ago, I was nominated by Saveur Magazine for ‘Best Photography’ for their annual blog awards. The awards were held this past weekend in Brooklyn… and I lost. But that’s OK. Because the experience itself was worth its weight in gold. I learned a lot about social media and how apparently I’m doing it all wrong, spoke with book editors about the publishing world, devoured the most incredible bleu cheese and drank unique, Argentinian wine! (and exhale) Plus, I got to meet many of my invisible blogging friends which was the best part.

And to you- a huge, HUGE thank you for voting. I know the voting process took some time, and I want you to know that I sincerely appreciate your efforts. ♥

Back to my kitchen…

in my summer kitchen | theclevercarrot.com

You know all about my mint. I won’t wax lyrical.

However, feeling the need to do something with my surplus, I arranged the stalks ‘bouquet’ style with some fresh oregano. Just call me an old Italian lady… all I need is a mustache and a pasta pot.

PS- you see those yellow shears? My mom got me a pair (she’s probably beaming right now) because they cut everything from fragrant herbs to gym mats.

Also, in my kitchen…

in my summer kitchen | theclevercarrot.com

… is Jake. He’s a Fruitarian.

And for a quick kitchen snack …

in my summer kitchen | theclevercarrot.com

Brown sugar-glazed walnuts!

I’ve been craving walnuts like nobody’s business lately- so waxy and buttery. One of my favorite combos are walnut halves with dried cranberries and chocolate covered espresso beans. It’s brain food with buzz.

I threw the walnuts into a salad with strawberries…

in my summer kitchen | theclevercarrot.com

And we’ve now come full circle.

I’d love to know what’s going on in your kitchen this month, so feel free to comment below! All mint recipes welcome.

*Linking up with my fabulous friend Celia for In My Kitchen*

Comments

Hello Anne! Thank you! The salad was made with the most tender Red Boston lettuce. The leaves were so soft. In fact, I’m eating it again for lunch today, although no more candied walnuts… those seem to disappear quite fast ;)

I always wanted to see what was in my friends kitchens too….my mum never bought sweets or biscuits or crisps…but others kids mums did!!! Love little Jake, so cute ❤️

Same here. I think you only realize the value once you become a parent. And I’m still curious to this day! xx

Beautiful strawberries Em! Um, I love your instagram posts, what are you doing wrong? The blog awards sounded like a great experience, bummed you lost but you still won just being recognized for your beautiful work! Lots of love -Kaity

Everything. From what I gathered, one should keep their feed strictly business. And when I say business, I’m referring to your blog, Etsy shop, whatever. Stay focused. No one wants to see your dirty kitchen or your trip to Grandma’s house for dinner. Does that make sense? I struggle with this however, because I like the ‘real’ side. And I want to see it, within reason of course. So we’ll see… or I’ll just have to settle for fewer followers ;) xoxo

It was wonderful to meet you too, Natasa! What a busy couple of days. I hope your travels back to Slovenia were stress-free. Back to baking ;) I just put my starters in new containers today to get some fresh air. They needed to breathe.

I love your iced mint tea idea- that’s certainly a good way to use up a whole bunch!

Look at your strawberries! I find it the most exciting thing to have my plants actually growing and producing fruit despite my abysmal gardening skills. I think it might be another week or two before my mulberries are ready to eat and I can’t wait!

I’m so happy for you about your Saveur nomination. Even without winning, it’s a huge thing to be there and it’s awesome to be recognized for your beautiful work! xo

The set it and forget it mentality, I’m totally with you! I proclaim (ever year) that I’m going to go full on with my garden, but when the plants and herbs come up by themselves, who needs me? My husband is a master at weeding. I like that.
      Oh and mulberries… My best friend had a tree in her backyard growing up (or was it the neighbor…) and those little berries stain like crazy! Our hands and feet were purple for days. Good memories though. What are you going to do with them?
      And thanks so much about the awards! It really was such an honor to be there (cliche, sorry) and a great experience overall. xoxo

So how the heck do the birds, squirrels and chipmunks not eat your strawberries? What’s your secret because yours are beautiful Emile! Although I have lots of tiny wild strawberries growing in my grass and I have no idea how they got there – my dog loves them.

Because my birds, squirrels and chipmunks are disguised as little children- those berries don’t stand a chance with my boys! Everyday when Dillon gets home from school, we go on a strawberry ‘hunt’ and he ransacks the whole patch. It rains, they grow back, repeat. Trust me, I don’t have a secret. I have a black thumb.

Wild strawberries are quite special, don’t you think? Do you have enough to actually use/eat or are they just randomly scattered…

5. Ruby88 says

Emilie I just love your photos! There is something so real yet artful about them. Just look at the joy on Jake’s face. I’m glad your experience at Saveur brought great friends. Oh and the old lady Italian thing with the herb bouquet? Tooooo funny. :) P.s. I always wondered what other people ate too! LOL

Well, thank you very much Ruby! I enjoy being the photographer ;) And yes, I am an old Italian lady for sure… minus the facial hair lol

6. Colleen says

Good morning from Australia!
    How funny to read about the brown Tupperware, I Can relate to that as well, I was also that kid. We didn’t have a lot of bought snacks or biscuits from the supermarket, it was all home made and all my sister and I wanted was bought biscuits from the shops like all the other kids. When I look back we were the lucky kids. I follow a few food bloggers and I must say I like yours the best. Your photography is always beautiful and real! have a creative day in your kitchen.
    Colleen

Hello Colleen! Welcome! You know, it’s funny- when my oldest was really little, he used to boast to his friends how his Mommy made him muffins and special cookies… and now he wants store-bought snacks just like his friends at school. HEARTBREAK! As you mentioned, I think you only realize how lucky you are when you look back.

And thank you so much for your sweet words! I’m so happy you enjoy the blog. I hope to see more of you here in our little community! Cheers!

My Instagram feed is all wrong then too – oops. Sorry you missed out on the awards but hey that’s a great goodie bag. That salad looks incredibly summery – how wonderful you can grow your own strawberries.

One day we’ll all figure it out! The way I look at it, is I have to be too planned or strategic with my social media posts, I’ll loose all spontaneity. Where’s the fun in that? How’s life by you these days? xo

Those strawberries look yummy and so ripe for the picking. (Salivating…)

I like playing with colors with the food on my plate and that salad looks very very delightful! I can just imagine the crunch of the walnuts, the crispness of the lettuce and the tartness of the fresh strawberries – just wondering which dressing did you use?

Thanks for sharing what you have in your kitchen :) I will need to add mind to my herb garden repertoire for that bouquet soon.

Hi Jennifer! Thank you! For the salad, I made a vinaigrette with balsamic, a hint of Dijon and olive oil. Recipe coming out in the book ;) xo

It was so great getting to meet you and share lunch together during the panels day Emilie! You are such a sweet person and just absolutely shine. Was such a treat getting to chat a bit and look forward to following along on your great space here! Love this post idea of showing whats in your kitchen (and your “fruitarian”! Haha!). Congrats on growing those strawbs too! Homegrown are the sweetest!

Jessie, it was an absolute pleasure meeting you as well. And… CONGRATULATIONS to you my friend! Sending you huge hugs and lots of love :) xoxo

The quintessential strawberry picture – your opening photo is so timeless and beautiful! I would love to feature your kitchen in my Inspired Kitchen Series! I’ll email you details in case you’re interested :) xo

Amanda Jane, thank you so much. My kids think I’m absolutely nuts- “Don’t eat the berries, Mommy has to photograph them first!” But they get it though ;) PS- sent you back email today…

Always a pleasure reading you Emilie.. and your kitchen. So much going on! Lovely strawberries. They’re stunning and I’m sure more delicious than anything one can buy at the store. Congratulations on your nomination, regardless of the outcome. The memories will last a life-time.. as well as trying to figure out social media (I need help baaaaddd!!). Jake.. he knows where it’s at. Smarty pants.

I have mint overflowing my garden too! I need mint recipes!! Actually I have peppermint though, is that different than normal mint for recipes? I’ve also got a rhubarb plant that I has named The Beast because ever year it comes back at least twice as big as the year before…any rhubarb recipes?!

I should’ve walked down the aisle with mint… I just decided ;) So, I think peppermint, spearmint and mint are cousins. They’re not exactly the same but I’m sure you can use them interchangeably.

You are quite lucky with your rhubarb, beastly or not! You know, I’m a bit of a traditionalist with rhubarb and love a good old fashioned fruit crumble with strawberries. Macerate the fruit in sugar first to extract some of the moisture and bake with a brown sugar oat topping? That’s what I would do. With vanilla ice cream/frozen yogurt (Stonyfield makes a good vanilla frozen yogurt) or a dollop of creme fraiche. xoxo

Nothing beats strawberry season, right? It’s like biting into a juicy, ripe tomato- pure heaven. I hope you are enjoying your stash as well… let me know if you make anything good! ;)

Stunning photography. The strawberries look delicious. What a fantastic collection of IMK goodies. I hope you get a chance to check out my IMK too. Best wishes. Emma.

Welcome Emma! Thank you so much! I will definitely pop on over for sure :) Have a wonderful weekend!

Emilie, your photos are GORGEOUS (whether you won or not) — congrats on being nominated! That goodie bag looks like it contains some flavorful consolation. Love your lil’ fruitarian, too. :) And strawberries…

Congratulations Emilie on getting nominated for the Saveur photography awards, I can see why! I love seeing your bright summer kitchen snaps this month. Me on the other hand have entered winter, and while its a fab season in its own way, its good to see a pop of summer freshness! I do like your strawberries, they do have a way of looking after themselves.
    I might pop the kettle on and take a wander around your lovely blog.
    Cheers, Kirsty xx

Somehow I’ve quit getting posts from you! Weird! Lovely photos as always – you should have won! Your strawberries are beautiful. We’ve had so much rain that mine are done. My daughter was visiting and bit into one of the last strawberries I’d placed in a bowl, and there was a worm in the berry. Needless to say, she’ll probably never eat another strawberry in her life! And she’s 31!!!

Oh no! Perhaps, your ISP unsubscribed you by accident? I’ve seen that happen before. I hope you re-subscribe and if you have any difficulties please let me know :) Happy to see you back!

That’s too funny about your daughter. My son is the same way; he’s 4 (LOL). We’ve had a lot of rain here too and a couple of wormy strawberries in our bowl, definitely makes for a fun surprise. All good things must come to an end, right? xo

Welcome Maree! Sadly, those were the last of our strawberries from the backyard this season. It has been raining so much here, they’ve become all water logged and mushy, although the worms don’t judge ;) Thanks for stopping by!

I know you :) Welcome Laura! Thanks so much for taking the time to comment- I really appreciate it. Don’t be a stranger! xo

17. celia says

You lost? What do you mean you lost? I voted 47 times! :) Well, I didn’t, but only because they wouldn’t let me. I think you have the most beautiful photos of any blog ever. And I’m SO happy to know that all those wild strawberries that were growing in the backyard when you moved in are STILL growing in the backyard. Big kiss for that beautiful boy of yours! And give it time, the moustache will come.. ;-)

Oh those strawberries! Also, I think our mothers might be related – I still have nightmares about carrot and raisin salad to this day. A belated congrats on your Saveur nom, win or not how very fabulous!

19. Ruth Napier says

I just signed up today and love your website…..beautiful things and pics and all seem very healthy…looking forward to many more enjoyable recipes here and thanks for your beautiful recipes