the best snack ever: frozen blueberries

the best snack ever: frozen blueberries | theclevercarrot.com

I am not trying to reinvent the wheel on this one but-

Frozen blueberries are the best snack ever!

Have you tried this before? Certainly, we’ve heard of frozen berries for smoothies, desserts, and stuff like that. But this is a game changer. My cousin snacks on them straight from the freezer. She buys a pint of fresh blueberries and freezes them herself. They are so cold and refreshing, it’s like eating miniature blueberry sorbets. On a hot summer day, it is the perfect healthy treat.

Last week we came home with over 5 quarts from berry picking.

the best snack ever: frozen blueberries | theclevercarrot.comthe best snack ever: frozen blueberries | theclevercarrot.com

Besides snacks, frozen blueberries are great to have in your kitchen arsenal.

They can be incorporated into all kinds of desserts and baking, like these cinnamon crumb muffins. And then of course, there are cocktails. Did you know that you can use these guys in lieu of ice cubes? They will keep your drink wonderfully chilled without watering it down (I would put 100 in there). They are super fun to nibble on when you get to the bottom of the glass. Festive and functional. Next time you have a stash of blueberries, freeze some and you’ll see what I mean!

PS- Frozen mango is pretty awesome too. How are you cooling off on these last summer days?

Tips:

• It is not necessary to wash your berries before freezing. The extra moisture will cause them to stick and possible freezer burn. Rinse in a colander before using, if desired.
the best snack ever: frozen blueberries

• fresh blueberries (as many as you want)
*It is not necessary to wash your berries before freezing. The extra moisture will cause them to stick and possible freezer burn. Rinse in a colander before using, if desired.
  1. Place the blueberries onto a rimmed baking sheet. Freeze until solid. Transfer to a Ziploc bag or container.
  2. Alternatively, you can just throw the berries into a container and freeze right away (this is what I do). They don't stick!

Comments

Hi Marilyn! It is not necessary to wash your berries before freezing. The extra moisture from the water will cause them to stick to each other. Freezer burn might occur as well. I would rinse them gently in a colander before using (if desired).

Ruby!! Yay! So nice to hear from you… I know that dark chocolate is really your thing, but you will love these. Now that I think of it, I wonder if you can freeze them coated in chocolate. Hmmm… xoxo

Seriously, there are times I think we were separated at birth. I snack on these about three times a week, even in the midst of winter, they’re just the best thing! As I mentioned on IG, I’ll often douse them in Frangelico and eat a bowl for dessert! :)

Seriously is an understatement! Don’t even get me started ;)
      The addition of Frangelico sounds divine… Have you ever tried blueberry port? I was at a wine tasting last year, and I was served a glass of blueberry port and a piece of dark chocolate. I was instructed to take a bite, and then a sip. I didn’t think that I was going to like it, but surprisingly I did. The combo makes me think of you and your chocolates xoxo

These sound good. Blueberries are really expensive here but I shall have to try some other berries – you make them sound too good not to try.

Really? They’re expensive by you? For some reason, I imagined them growing wild on your farm (good way to start rumors, eh?). Other berries will work too, but there’s just something about the blueberries that are so darn tasty! ;)

Frozen grapes! I almost forgot how good those are… I know what I’ll be picking up this week. I like the green ones ;)

3. Michael McMeekin says

Frozen Blueberries, cinnamon and low fat vanilla yogurt mixed together is the bomb. If you have never tried it, you are missing out.