chickpea panzanella

chickpea panzanella

Have you ever had a kitchen sink salad?

That’s what this is with a prettier name. It was going to be a Greek salad but somehow I got derailed when the bread went in. Mmm…bread.

As you can see, there’s a lot going on in that bowl. The line up includes chickpeas, mini cherry tomatoes, bread chunks, feta, lemon zest, basil and celery leaves (my new favorite ingredient by the way). It’s dressed with lemon juice and lots of good olive oil. So basically it’s a big bread salad with lots of stuff in it. Or better yet, a chickpea panzanella with a Greek twist? That sounds better.

The beauty of a salad like this is that you can throw in/take out whatever you’d like. However, if you’re in the mood for something crunchy and refreshing, this particular combination fits the bill (celery leaves! celery leaves!) It’s a great salad for a crowd or better yet, a little bowl of heaven to enjoy at lunch.

5.0 from 2 reviews
chickpea panzanella

Salad
  • 1x 14 oz. can of chickpeas, rinsed and drained
  • 1 c. mini cherry tomatoes, halved
  • 1 c. bread chunks, torn (day old is best)
  • 1 c. cucumbers, thinly sliced
  • ¼ c. sweet onion (I use Vidalia onion), thinly sliced
  • ¼ c. Kalamata olives, pitted and chopped
  • ⅓ c. feta, crumbled into large chunks
  • 1 lemon, zested
  • handful of celery tops
  • handful of basil, torn up with your hands
Dressing
  • juice of ½ a lemon + more to taste
  • ¼ c. good quality olive oil
  1. Get yourself a giant bowl.
  2. Dig out your mandoline if using (I highly recommend) and thinly slice your cucumbers and onion.
  3. If you do not have day old bread, simply tear some up into bite size chunks. Toast in a 350 F oven for about 10 minutes or so. Don't burn them!
  4. Meanwhile, zest your lemon and set aside.
  5. Add all of the salad ingredients to the bowl, minus the feta (if you add it too early, it will crumble and disappear into little pieces when tossed).
  6. Add the lemon juice and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and give it a toss.
  7. Now fold in your feta.
  8. Taste your salad and if you need to, adjust with more lemon, olive oil and seasoning.

Comments

Such a pretty salad! I make a similar one at the lake when I don’t have time to fuss. Actually, I’ve come to prefer these to most salads, because they’re unique each and every time. I love the ingredients you’ve added to yours!!

• theclevercarrot says

Thank you so much! I could’t agree with you more- these salads are great time savers and often more interesting than most salads. The variety of ingredients makes them fun. It’s a great way to use up summer veggies too! Thanks again for stopping by :)

2. Ruby says

Kitchen sink salad. A great name for something you wouldn’t expect to look so beautiful. I love the idea of the pieces of bread tossed in. Instant dunk!

• theclevercarrot says

Thanks Ruby! Yeah, my kitchen sink should never be photographed (ha ha). I happened to use sourdough in this recipe and it was great. The bread makes it. You’re right, it is an instant dunk!

• theclevercarrot says

Thank you so much!!! I could too. At least it’s healthy! Thanks for stopping by :)

• theclevercarrot says

Thanks so much- this dish is one of my favorites. I make it a lot in the summer and it travels well to bbq’s. Gotta love that!

Welcome Becca! Thank you! It definitely happens to be one of my favorite salads- everything I love in 1 bowl :)

3. Kelli says

I made this tonight (sans celery tops) and loved it!!! It was so fresh and so flavorful! Will totally be making this again. Thanks for the recipe!

You’re quite welcome! Oh, I’m so glad you like this!!! Isn’t it light & tasty? I love this salad, especially for entertaining :)

4. Tracy says

I made this a couple weeks ago. It is so good. So tasty. Didn’t get a chance to buy celery tops but still good. I’m making this again this evening for a Mother’s Day dinner with family. Thank you for sharing !!

5. Sue says

Loved this salad! Beautiful! Next time, I would add garlic to the dressing and / or some honey.

That’s sounds yummy! Glad you liked the recipe. Thanks for stopping by Sue! :)

6. Susan Parker says

The best quality of oil you can purchase is at an Oil & Vinegar shop such as Oil & Vinegar USA or any of the mom and pop oil speciality shops. Just google oil and vinegar shops and your city and it will locate any shops in your area. You will notice the difference right away and you will never again buy your oils at the grocery store.

Great tip Susan! I have to agree with you on that one… there are so many good olive oils found in specialty shops these days. The best ones have both harvest & expiration dates in addition to where they’re from. You can definitely tell the difference! Thanks for stopping by! :)