light brioche hamburger buns

light brioche hamburger buns | theclevercarrot.com

Now that it’s officially BBQ season, I thought it would be fun to make homemade hamburger buns.

We like our burgers on brioche-style rolls and this recipe looked like a good starting place.

Before I begin, I will tell you that this brioche is lighter than the traditional kind that I’m used to (hence the title). It’s still fluffy and moist, but not quite as eggy and rich. Even the color is a bit lighter. We thought that it was the perfect vessel for a juicy burger and would be great for sandwiches too!

And in my opinion, nothing beats an all natural hamburger bun- can you believe how much junk there is in the store-bought variety?

light brioche hamburger buns |  theclevercarrot.com

1.) Make the dough & let it rise: Mix your dough together using a stand mixer. It will be very sticky and have a shaggy appearance. Place a damp kitchen towel directly over the bowl and allow it to rest until it has doubled in size. Depending on how warm your kitchen is, this will take about 1-3 hours (mine took 1 1/2 hrs @ 70 degrees F.)

*Giving your dough enough time to rise is crucial in bread baking. In the past, I have rushed this step which caused my bread to be very dense. Rise times will vary, so be patient. Remember to watch your dough and not the clock!

light brioche hamburger buns |  theclevercarrot.com

2.) Punch down the dough & portion it out: Once your dough has risen, dump it out onto a lightly floured work surface. Gently flatten or ‘punch’ down the dough to get rid of any air bubbles. Using a bench scraper (or a chef’s knife) cut the dough into 8 equal portions. If you have a scale, weigh each portion so that they’re all the same size. Do this by weighing the entire ball of dough first and then divide by the number of rolls you want to make.

light brioche hamburger buns |  theclevercarrot.com

3.) Shape into balls: Gently flatten each piece of dough like a pancake. Pull up each side pinching it together in the center. Repeat until the ball is sealed. Flip the ball over (seam side down) and move to an un-floured part of your board (it’s easier to roll this way). Place your palm over the top and gently roll into a smooth ball. Transfer each ball onto a parchment lined baking sheet.

light brioche hamburger buns |  theclevercarrot.com

light brioche hamburger buns |  theclevercarrot.com

4.) Let the dough rise again: The dough will need to rise again, this time for a shorter period than the initial rise. The balls should look puffy and slightly risen, about 1- 1/2 hrs. When they’re ready, gently brush each one with egg wash. See how puffy they are?

*At this point, you could add sesame seeds to the top of your rolls if desired.

light brioche hamburger buns |  theclevercarrot.com

5.) Bake: Preheat your oven to 400 F. and place a shallow baking pan on the oven floor. Before the dough goes in, add about 1/2 cup of water to the pan (to create steam). This will help keep the bread nice and moist. Bake for about 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

light brioche hamburger buns |  theclevercarrot.com

light brioche hamburger buns |  theclevercarrot.com

light brioche hamburger buns

Serves: 8 buns
  • 1 c. warm water
  • 3 tablespoons warm milk
  • 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
  • 2½ tablespoons sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 3 cups bread flour
  • ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
  • 1½ teaspoons salt
  • 2½ tablespoons unsalted butter, softened.
  • sesame seeds (optional)
  1. In a glass measuring cup, combine 1 cup warm water, 3 tbsp. milk, yeast and sugar. Let stand until foamy, about 5 minutes. Meanwhile, beat 1 egg.
  2. In the bowl of a stand mixer, add the flours, salt and butter. Using the paddle attachment, mix the ingredients until the butter is the size of crumbs.
  3. Stir in yeast mixture and beaten egg. Run the mixer on medium-low (I used #3 on my Kitchen Aid) until a dough forms, about 5-8 minutes.
  4. Shape the dough into a ball and return it to the bowl (it will be sticky and wet). Cover bowl with a clean, damp kitchen towel and let the dough rise in a warm place until it has doubled is size, 1- 3 hours* See Note.
  5. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Using a dough scraper (or chef's knife), divide the dough into 8 equal parts. If you have a scale, weigh each piece to guarantee that they're all the same size.
  6. To shape the dough into balls, gently flatten each piece like a pancake. Pull up each side pinching it together in the center. Repeat until the ball is sealed. Flip the ball over (seam side down) and move to an un-floured part of your board (it's easier to roll this way). Place your palm over the top and gently roll into a smooth ball. Transfer to a parchment lined baking sheet, placing them 2 to 3 inches apart. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let buns rise in a warm place for 1-2 hours, or until puffy and slightly risen.
  7. To make the egg wash, beat the remaining egg with a splash of water. When the buns are finished with the 2nd rise, gently brush each one with egg wash. At this point, you could add sesame seeds to the top of your rolls if desired.
  8. Preheat your oven to 400 F. and place a shallow baking pan on the oven floor. Before the dough goes in, add about ½ cup of water to the pan (to create steam). This will help keep the bread nice and moist. Bake for about 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Notes
*Giving your dough enough time to rise is crucial in bread baking. Rise times will vary, so be patient. Remember to watch your dough and not the clock!

Comments

Gosh just look at those smooth and glossy tops on the buns! Lovely pictures, Im tempted to make a batch but not sure if our Indian flour will hold up..

Thank you Revati! I’m so curious about Indian flour…what’s it like? I’ve never used it before :)

• Alla says

These were the best hamburger buns I have ever made. I did add half a cup more of bread flour because my dough looked way too wet. And they were gorgeous, lightly sweet, gentle to the bite! Mmmmm. Thanks! Alla

Hi there!

Thanks for the feed back! So glad you enjoyed them! Yes, this dough is definitely wet (which is sometimes tricky to handle). I’m happy to hear that additional flour made it more manageable :)

• Jane says

Hey! I’m in the process of making these, on my second rise. The dough is really nice, all I had was bread flour and pastry flour so I just used pastry instead of a.P. (I prefer a lighter bread anyways). The dough wasn’t too sticky, very nice dough actually. Excited to try these tonight with my home made burger patties!!

• rally says

I made these delicious brioche and they are delicious but I would like ti make som with a thinner crust.
        Can you tell me how?
        Angelica

Hi there! So glad you liked the buns! Thanks for the feedback :) For the crust, it shouldn’t be thick at all… Were the buns fully cooked in the center and lightweight? It’s sounds to me like your oven might be too hot. Check next time with and oven thermometer and/or lower the oven temp about 10-20 or so. Hope this helps!

Ah, yes I have to agree with you on that one Laney. Homemade is definitely the best when you can swing it! I like to make a big batch to freeze… Thanks for stopping by! :)

• Steve says

can I ask how you freeze them?
        do you do it after you have shaped the 8 buns and left them to rise for the final time?
        many thanks
        Steve

Hi Steve! I only freeze the buns after I bake them. I allow them to cool completely, wrap individually in plastic wrap, and then cover in foil (this will add extra protection against freezer burn). They defrost pretty quickly too. Hope this helps! :)

I have never been a very patient bread-maker but when I see these step by step photos and how beautiful these little bundles are, I can’t think of a good excuse why I shouldn’t be making these. And I love the idea of just using good old fashion ingredients without the binders, emulsifiers and preservatives. Just like the olden days — our grandmas would be proud ;-). Lovely illustrations Emilie and a perfect time indeed to be posting these for bbq season — what a glorious day!

3. Sue says

Any idea how to make these multi grain ….my husband is diabetic and would love to make these but just a bit less carbs for him.

4. Fatima musa sadiq says

Omg beautiful just before I made this commenr,I rushd to the kitchen nd
    made my dough right now its kept safe nd about to start rising Lol can’t wait….thanks for sharing :-D

5. silvia says

Simply sensational! I wish I had a couple of those right now…Thanks again for another inspiring post! Silvia

You’re welcome Silvia!! You’re such a talented baker, you’ll be able to whip these up in no time! All of your bread looks fabulous :)

Haha… yes. That would be true. But not quite as fun, right? My kids love these for breakfast, myself included. With coffee. Thanks, Anne! :)

Thank you Ale! Yes, it’s a very basic recipe. Once you have the fundamentals down you can experiment with all kinds of different shapes and loaves. It’s very flexible. Enjoy!

6. Ashley says

In the ingredient list it says 3 TB of milk, but in the instructions it says 1 cup. I’m assuming to use the 1 cup. I am planning on making these for Sunday, a reward for my first 5k of the summer! Please let me know, thanks

Hi Ashley! I see how it can be a little bit confusing…
      The ingredients list is correct; use 3 TB of milk. In addition to the milk, you are to add 1 cup of warm water (this part is listed in the instructions and not in the ingredients). Does that make sense?
      I’m going to adjust the recipe just in case others have the same concerns. Thanks for bringing it to my attention!!! And congrats on your 5K! :)

7. James says

I’ve followed this recipe and although they came out quite well I found mine to be slightly harder than I expected. I’ve had similar brioche buns before that were very soft
    and spongy. Any idea where I could be going wrong? Not enough needing, not enough rising? I used a kitchenaid stand mixer with the dough kneading for 10 mins then let the dough rise for 2 hours in a warm room. Then another 2 hours after portioning them. I want to perfect this.

Hi James! Great question. In my experience, there are several factors that can make bread hard/tough/dense/heavy.

Here are some examples:

1.) Too much flour. This particular brioche dough should be extremely wet & sticky. Adding too much flour will make it heavy & dense. Make sure to WEIGH all of your ingredients for accuracy. King Arthur Flour has an excellent master conversion chart that you can reference.

2.) Initial rise time too short. This used to be my #1 problem with homemade bread baking. I always rushed this step and every single time it led to heavy, dense bread. Rise times will vary depending on temperature and yeast strength, so it’s crucial to watch your dough and not the clock. Depending on the day, this dough can take anywhere from 1 1/2-3 hours @ 80 degrees F to rise. In the colder, winter months it will usually take longer. It also helps to proof your dough in the same container every time so you can visualize how fast/slow the dough is rising. When it hits a certain point, you know it’s done. You can monitor the rise time better this way.

3.) 2nd rise time too long. Your dough does not need to rise for as long as the initial rise, nor does it need to double in volume. It’s ready when it’s slightly puffy. If it rises for too long, it will not get enough oven spring to create a round shape. Instead it will be heavier & flat. For the second rise, I usually let my dough rise for 45 min- 1 hour @ 80 F. Again, when it’s cold it might take a little longer (I never go over 1 1/2 hours). When it doubt, it’s better to underproof.

4.) Not enough steam in your oven. Often times this will cause the exterior of the bread to get really hard which hinders the rising process in the oven. Usually your bread will tear or ‘blow out’ as a result.

Based on your experience above, I believe that your dough was kneaded sufficiently (I run my KitchenAid for 8-10 minutes on speed 3). However, I think your initial rise time might have been too short; try increasing your initial rise time and definitely decrease your 2nd rise. And don’t forget to weigh all of your ingredients!

I hope this helps! If you have anymore questions please feel free to get in touch. I’m happy to help. Good luck :)

• James says

Finally nailed it thank you so much. Your extra advice made all the difference and they look identical to your pictures, they are the right softness that I would expect and they taste perfect. Finally a brioche roll worthy of my already perfected homemade burgers.

That’s incredible! I’m so glad that you were able to finally nail down the recipe. Isn’t it tasty? If you have any other bread baking questions, feel free to stay in touch :)

8. James says

I do have another question. What do you find is the best way to store these? I tried wrapping them I plastic wrap but that didn’t seem too good

I find that these are best consumed within 1-2 days of baking. Once completely cooled, I’ve stored them several different ways; sometimes I throw them into a Ziplock back, other times I just cover them with plastic wrap in a big bowl, and I’ve even gone as far as wrapping each one individually in plastic. I usually don’t have a problem with freshness. Hope this helps!

9. Mariz Mansour says

Thanks for this recipe, they look amazing!
    I have just tried another burger bun recipe but it didn’t turn out to be great, however, I am gonna try this recipe soon and even maybe post a picture of the fruits of my labor. :)

10. Emilie says

Hi Mariz!
    I’m so sorry to hear that your other recipe didn’t turn out so well. Such a bummer when that happens, right? I hope you enjoy this one! If you have any questions, check out the comment/convo by James (above). I’ve included some great tips! Good luck :)

11. Will Baker says

Dear Emilie, I tried these last night and they turned out great! I was amazed at how little time it took. Maybe 5 min prep and another 5 to rollout into buns. Easy! I am going to experiment with your recipe by wrapping a salami in the dough and then baking. I will let you know the results.

Welcome Will! I’m so glad that you liked the recipe. It is pretty easy to put together, especially in the warmer months when the dough rises super fast! I’ve also used this recipe for regular sandwich bread, baking it in either 1 or 2 9×5″ loaf pans. You might want to give it a try!
      I think your salami idea is fantastic by the way… I’d love to hear how it turns out. Let me know!
      PS- I will be posting more bread recipes in the next couple of months- be sure to check back :)

12. Rebecca says

Emilie, When I let the rolls go through the second rise, they spread out A LOT over the course of an hour. I ended up reshaping and baking in a dish (packed tightly) instead, which worked fine. Any advice as to why they might have spread so much during the second rise?

Hi Rebecca!

This happens to be a high hydration dough, which just means that it contains a large amount of liquid. The extra moisture in the dough causes it to spread out when rising. It’s actually very common.

To avoid this, my best advice would be to make sure that you shape the ball into a tight ball in order to successfully hold its shape. If it’s not tight enough or the seam is not closed underneath, it will spread. To do this, you need to create adequate surface tension when rolling. After tucking all of sides underneath the dough and closing the seam as best as you can, place your palm over the top (cupping the dough). Roll it towards you and around in a circle until it gathers into a tight ball. Keep going until it’s nice and tight. It is best to do this on a un-floured surface so that it doesn’t slide around.

Shaping free form rolls takes some practice and I’ve had many epic failures! I’m so happy that you chose to bake it all in one dish instead of giving up. Well done! And I hope all of this information helps… if you have any other questions, please so not hesitate to ask! Good luck :)

13. Laura says

These look so delicious! I am looking at trying them this weekend.

Have you had success doubling this recipe? I know there are some bread recipes that are a failure if doubled. I would love to get a double batch of these, but didn’t know if I should double it or mix two single batches separately.

Hi Laura! You will lOVE these rolls. My kids go crazy for them :)

As far as doubling the recipe, I’ve never done that before so I can’t speak from experience. I would make 2 separate batches this time just to be on the safe side!

Good luck & let me know how they turn out!

• Alex says

I know it’s been a while, but I made a double batch today. They are currently on their last rise. Im a bit worried because on the first rise, I left for about an hour and a half, it rose a little too much. Probably due to the extremely hot weather here. I wanted a brioche bun for sloppy joes, so I’m giving this a try. I’ll let you know how it turns out.

Sounds great! What you are experiencing (fast rise) is normal; baking methods & schedules must be adapted to weather change. In the summer, the dough will rise incredibly fast! But you already low that ;) I think they will turn out great!

14. Sophie says

These turned out fantastically for me – and I am very much a novice baker! Thanks for the lovely, step-by-step tutorial. They were perfectly light for a brioche and not too rich – this is now my go-to recipe for all future buns!

Just a quick question – you mentioned you usually freeze these for future use? Do you freeze at the raw dough stage or once baked? Can you let me know your process for freezing and defrosting these wonderful buns?

Thanks!

Hi Sophie! I am SO happy that you had success with this recipe! Isn’t it fun making homemade buns?

As far as freezing goes, I freeze them after they are baked. Once cooled completely, I usually wrap them in plastic wrap (individually) and then pop them into the freezer. I’m sure you could freeze them in a large ziploc bag as well. Just make sure to stack them in between parchment paper so that they do not stick.
      I hope this help! :)

Just baked a full batch of these to complement a pulled pork I made the day before. Followed directions to a T (though I had to mix by hand because I don’t have a stand mixer). Still turned out perfectly! Definitely bookmarking this one for future reference :)

Hi Julian! Thanks for taking the time to comment… I always enjoy hearing about the different experiences people have with the recipes (and don’t get me started about bread- I could talk about that for ages!). And you mixed everything by hand? That’s fantastic! Good to hear that it didn’t give you any trouble :)

16. James says

Hi Emilie, these look amazing ! can’t wait to try this recipe. Just a quick question, not sure if someone has already ask this and iv’e missed it. Just wondered if u can freeze these and how long will they keep if so.

thanks James.

Hi James! After I bake the rolls (and they have cooled completely), I individually wrap them in plastic wrap and place into the freezer. They should last about 3-6 months, but if wrapped properly possibly longer. I hope this helps! :)

You’ve created a monster! These turned out so well that I want to make them every day. I cook a LOT (and have my own food blog too) but making yeast breads is new for me. These were easy and are gorgeous and delicious. We will be channeling summer and having burgers on these tonight. Thanks for a great recipe!

Ha ha… a bread monster? Those are the best ones! ;)
      I’m so glad that you decided to give this recipe a try. Yeast breads are not very difficult, and once you get going it’s hard to stop! And knowing that you can make bread from scratch is very rewarding. We love these rolls for sandwiches too- they’re the kids’ favorite. You can even make mini ones to dunk in soup… Thanks for stopping by Sarah! :)

18. dora says

Making my second batch of these wonderful buns. You will be happy with this recipe, follow to the letter, you won’t be disappointed.

Hi Dora,
      I actually just finished rolling out a batch of these as well! How serendipitous ;) For dinner, we’re having slow-cooked pulled pork, homemade bbq sauce and these delicious rolls! Thanks for stopping by!

19. Lydia says

New to bread making, and I was wondering why you have the additional 1/3 cup all-purpose flour….why not use all bread flour?

Hi Lydia! Great question- the addition of 1/3 c. of all purpose flour gives these rolls a (slightly) cake-y or fluffy texture. This is because it has less gluten than bread flour.

Bread flour on the other hand, has a higher gluten content and is preferred in bread baking for its elasticity and overall texture. In this recipe, is adds a nice ‘chew’ to the rolls. FYI- I’ve made this many times with only bread flour and it works beautifully.

I hope this answers your question! Feel free to drop by if you have any other questions- I’m happy to help ;)

20. Odie says

You mentioned adding 1/2 c of water be added to the pan. Did you mean the pan the buns are being baked on? Wouldn’t that make a gooy mess? Thx

Hi Odie! Sorry for the confusion- The pan that I’m referring to is a baking pan that you place into the bottom of the oven and fill with water to create a steamy environment for the bread. This is separate from what the actual rolls are baked on. The rolls are baked on a baking tray or cookie sheet (not in the pan with water!). Hope this helps! :)

21. Gisli says

Made this recipe twice, failed the first time, succeeded the second time today. Figured that I had too much of yeast and let it rise too much. Now I am gonna make some burgers with these delicious buns :)
    I used all organic ingredients which makes these better in some way ;)

That’s wonderful Gisli! I’m glad that you were able to make successful adjustments to the recipe. And I’m sure they tasted superb with all organic ingredients. That always seems to be the case, doesn’t it? ;)

22. June says

These came out perfect following the recipe! They were so attractive that my husband photographed and posted them in Facebook. Thank you for warning that the dough is very wet! I would have been tempted to add more flour. Will never buy hamburger buns at the grocery store again.

I’ve made these at least ten times and they’ve come out perfect every time….until today. The tops split when they baked, they didn’t brown evenly over the top and, while they are perfectly fluffy on the inside, the bottoms are blackened. Still edible but not nearly as pretty and perfect as they usually are. I can’t think of anything I did differently. Any ideas of what might have gone wrong or how I can avoid this in the future?

Hi Sarah! I’m so sorry to hear about your bread. I have had similar things happen to me in the past so I know how you feel :(
      Although I am not an expert, it sounds to me like your oven could possibly be the culprit. Uneven browning is usually due to inaccurate oven temperatures and hotspots. Also, an oven that is too hot will create excessive ‘oven spring’ (rise). This is not necessarily a bad thing, however sometimes it will cause the outside of the bread to harden before it has had a chance to fully rise. This will cause splitting.
      If you don’t already have one, I would recommend getting an oven thermometer to regulate the temperature. Hopefully that will work! Good luck and let me know how it goes!!! ;)

Hi!
    I made these yesterday and they turned out delicious! I replaced the all-purpose flour by rye flour and sprinkled some caraway, sunflower and pumpkin seeds on top. I kneaded it by hand as I don’t have a KitchenAid (yet!). Served with some chestnut and mushroom veggie burger and that was a great dinner.
    I think they will make a regular comeback during the summer bbqs.
    Thank you for the recipe!

25. Gloria says

I have made these hamburger rolls three times now – each time with different flours (all-purpose, bread flour, and whole wheat flour). Each time they have turned out wonderful! I have a regular mixer, so I knead the dough by hand for 8 to 10 minutes. I love kneading dough! The first time I made the recipe, I just put all the flour in – the dough was very dry, so I added a little water as I kneaded, and it ended up great. Depending on the humidity, flour amounts can vary, so now I add all the flour, except the last 1/3 cup. Then I can add it if necessary or not, depending on the dough’s consistency. My husband loves having these rolls in his lunch!

Hi Gloria! That’s FANTASTIC! You’ve got the right idea by judging the flour & water amounts based on the current temperature. That’s what it’s all about! I will be posting a recipe for whole wheat rolls myself in a couple of weeks… Stay tuned. Thanks for stopping by to comment! :)

26. kara says

I just made these today and they turned out wonderful !!!! they looked so good and felt bad for eating them :) I now have the perfect bun for this summer’s barbecues.. thanks so much for posting this!!!

You are quite welcome Kara! Eat as much as you want (they go fast, don’t they?) In addition to burgers, they’re great for sandwiches too… my kids love how soft they are. Enjoy! :)

I’ve been trying to make soft buns for burgers for a while, since the ones you can buy here on mainland Europe are disgusting and dry. Most of the recipes I’ve tried so far have been hard and disappointing. I was particularly attracted by this recipe as I’ve made brioche many times (I live in France) and it sounded like a great idea.
    Maybe it was because I converted the cups to grams wrong, but I ended up using half as much flour again in order to produce anything remotely resembling a dough. I ended up using my experience of brioche dough to judge it. It could also have been the European flour, which is quite different from that in the USA. However, once baked they were so soft and tasty! I will definitely be making these again as they were the perfect complement to burgers. Thank you so much for sharing.

Hi Luca! I know how frustrating it can be when a particular recipe doesn’t turn out… I’m glad that you had success with this one! It sounds like your experience with brioche and overall judgement in baking really played a key role in how they turned out. That’s the key to bread baking, being flexible and making adjustments as you go. Thank you so much for taking the time to comment- I really appreciate your feedback :)

Made this tonight. I’ve been working with a variety of brioche recipes. These were amazing. I feel like my dough was a bit too sticky to handle, at least to form. The rolls came out great, but I’d like to know your recipe in Grams to be more precise if possible. Thanks!! :) :)

29. Kristin says

I made these hamburger buns this evening, and they were AMAZING!! Super easy and fail proof :) Thank you for a recipe I’m sure I will use again and again!

You are quite welcome!!! Thank you for taking the time to stop by and comment. I really appreciate it :)

30. PseudoShea says

Made these today using the dough cycle in my bread machine. I halved the recipe (kept the amount of eggs and all-purpose flour the same though) and it made 8 perfectly sized buns. Delicious, soft, and beautiful! Great recipe.

31. Chris says

Trying this now. I made the recipe 1 1/2 times as I had a block of fresh cake yeast that I found for the first time in years. It bubbled like a volcano while proofing in the water/milk mixture! Added a little wheat germ in place of some of the all-purpose flour. Sure hope they come out. I’ve tried many recipes for hamburger buns in the past and hadn’t cared for with the texture for a hamburger but these looked great. Thanks

• Chris says

Great texture and taste. I could’ve made 18 buns rather than 12, though. They’re enormous! I shaped 6 like hamburger buns and 6 as hot dog buns, used 2 sheet pans to bake. I used ice cubes rather than water when ready to place in the oven. Each rose to the size of small loaves of bread. Now, we’ll just use as we would for bread instead of buns. They came out like and airy with lots of layers. I know they’ll toast well, too. Thanks for the easy to follow recipe.

32. Kat says

Hello! Just wanted to say thank you for this amazing recipe. This is the first time I make rolls and they turn out so perfect and lord knows I have experimented with bread and roll recipes for years! My boys LOVED them. Made a batch last night and already have another batch rising =) Thank you Miss Emelie!

33. Emily says

These are my favorite buns! I’ve made several other recipes & nothing can touch these. I make multiple batches at once & freeze the rest. Yummy! Thank you for sharing!!!
    Emily

34. Jose says

Hello! I’ve tried these buns and they are amazing! I just have one question. If you need to make more than 8 buns at a time, say you need around 24 or 32 buns how would you proceed? Can you double the recipe or do you need to make 4 separate batches??

Thank you for your response!!

Hello! I’m so glad that you liked the recipe! It’s one of our favorites too.

In terms of making larger quantities, I’ve only doubled the recipe in my past experience. If you need 3-4x the recipe, you might want to make 2 double batches to be on the safe side (does that make sense?). Alternatively, instead of 8 buns/recipe, you might be able to get 10-12 if you want them a smaller size.

Hope this helps! Happy baking :)

35. Bob says

I was just wondering if I made a larger batch, if there was any stage where it was possible to freeze the pre-baked buns, so I can have them fresh on demand?

Hi Bob! Yes- you absolutely can freeze these buns to have them fresh on demand. What I do, is after I pull them out of the oven I let them cool completely. Then I wrap each one individually in plastic wrap, then foil. The buns can be frozen up to 3 months (if they last that long!). I hope this helps. Happy baking :)

36. Sakura Hyo says

Hi.. I’ve been looking for burger buns recipes that are fluffy and not fall apart when topped with juicy patties. I think I’ll try your recipe and this is perfect time to open up a converter table.

One small question, why don’t you use grams instead for weight measurement? Are cups measurement accurate?

37. Bob says

Hi!

Made these buns and loved them!

If I was looking to make a more traditional brioche bun (that is more eggy and rich), how could I alter this recipe to achieve that goal?

More eggs? butter?

Thanks!

38. Jenn V says

I’ve been using this recipe for years via another food blogger. They always taste great but they end up flat. Using your shaping technique I’ve finally perfected these! Thanks so much!

39. sheema says

Thanks for the receipe ,First time baking the bun I found the bun slightly heavier and denser than the burger buns bought at bakeries.I used organic breadflour ,each bun weighed 111GM ,How to make the bun less heavier and lighter ,what is the differnce in using only all purpose flour instead of bread flour .Thanks

Hi Sheema!

Great questions(s)!

1.) With regards to heavy burger buns, another reader had asked something similar so I’ve copied my response. See below!

2.) The difference between bread flour and all purpose is that it has a higher protein content which gives the bread a better overall structure (and texture). If you used only all purpose, the buns would be more cake-like and not quite as chewy. The type of flour in this case does not affect the weight.

Here are some examples:

I hope this helps, Sheema! If you have anymore questions please feel free to get in touch.

40. Paul says

Hi – Looking to make these to go with my speciality home made pulled pork on Sunday, but what exactly is 2.5 tablespoons of butter? Would like to get that right because the amount of liquid usually affects bread quite substantially. Thanks!

Hi Paul! These buns will be perfect for pulled pork… getting hungry just thinking about it!

You are absolutely correct in having the exact measurements in bread baking. Are you using stick butter? That’s what I use and it has measurements on the wrapper. I line my knife up to 2 1/2 tbsp. and slice.

If you prefer you can weigh the butter with a kitchen scale. One stick of butter is about 4 ounces. So 2 1/2 tbsp. would be roughly 1.25 oz.

Happy baking :)

• Paul says

Thank you so much (not sure we have stick butter in the UK so the weight is perfect).
        I actually made a test batch last night and these are amazing! A little patience required but not difficult at all.
        The fact they are not too buttery means when toasted they are perfect for the pulled pork.
        Thanks again!

Ahhh! I would’ve sent you the measurement in grams- my apologies. I thought you were here in the US. I actually prefer to work in grams anyway ;)

I’m happy to hear they turned out well. You are quite welcome, Paul. Enjoy!

41. Lisa says

Hi there, just wondering if the buns you made were normal sized hamburger buns? I am planning to make them for sliders just want to get an idea of how much to make. thanks :)

Hi Lisa!

Great idea! Yes, this recipe yields normal sized hamburger buns, slightly on the larger size. It calls for 8 buns, but sometimes I make 10. You can easily make sliders (about 16-20 depending) on the size you want. Does that make sense?

Good luck and happy baking! :)

This is amazing! I’ve been searching high and low for a brioche recipe that did not require the baking skills of a trained chef/baker. I will be making this this week so I’ll let you know how it turns out.

Thanks so much!

Thank you, Anh! Personally, I love this recipe. I can’t even tell you many times I’ve made these buns. And once you get the hang of it you can make loaves, sliders, etc. Have fun with the recipe! Let me know if you have any questions!

43. Liana says

Hi Emilie. I made these last night and they look great but to my Aussie taste they are too sweet and rich to use as a hamburger bun – but..think would be perfect for a brioche ice cream sandwich – maybe rum n raisin w some pistachio brittle ..or breakfast w jam.

But I did have some problems with them rising.I’ve never had a problem w bread or brioche before I just put it in the fridge for 4-8 hours but this was flat. So I took it out let it come back to room temperature put it back in the mixer added 2 more teaspoons of yeast sponged with some water and mixed it again adding a bit more flour and this time it rose..just in case anyone has the same problem.

So I’m still on the hunt for a plain soft hamburger roll if you have a recipe?

Hello Liana,

Glad you liked the recipe. You’re right- they would be perfect for brioche ice cream sandwiches. I had that once in Sicily ;)

I am happy to help troubleshoot with regards dough rise:

Did you put the dough in the fridge after the initial mixing stage? OR after you shaped them into buns? And did you do this to delay baking?

Putting dough in the fridge slows down the rise rate. It will never look as puffed and round when compared to dough risen in a warm environment. But it’s still rising. That’s most likely the reason why your dough looked flat. It rose again when you brought it back to room temperature because of the temperature increase.

Surprisingly, this recipe does’t need additional yeast to rise- it’s all about controlling the temperature.

Because it is summer by you, I would just mix up the dough and leave it to rise at room temperature (if your schedule allows). It should rise very quickly- maybe 1 – 1 1 /2 hours. Shape into buns and do a short second rise. Bake as directed.

Does that make sense?

I don’t have another soft hamburger roll recipe as of yet! Perhaps you could decrease the sugar and butter in this recipe? That might be more to your liking!

I hope this info helps, Liana! Happy baking & good luck!

Another excellent post – thanks so much! I found that combining the flour, sugar, salt, and chilled butter in a processor and then pulsing with a dough blade was a decent substitute for a mixer. I then proofed the yeast in the warm milk and water, added the eggs and mixed the dough by hand, adding a few folds to get nice gluten structure. I say eggs because I trimmed back the water and replaced with an additional egg. Once the dough had doubled I placed it in the fridge for 2 hours to assist in the cutting and shaping. They turned out absolutely delicious.

Cheers! Alex @ImmortalPestle

Hello Alexander! That’s brilliant. Thank you for sharing your tips. It’s funny, because I just lent my stand mixer to someone and your processor method comes in handy right about now. Perfect timing! And yes, chilling the dough after the initial rise is smart; the butter has a chance to solidify and makes the dough easier to handle. Good on you! So happy to hear you enjoyed the recipe.

45. Natasha says

Hi Emilie! Greetings from hot and muggy Kuala Lumpur!
    Thanks to your informative blogpost and step-by-step pictorial, my family and I tucked into light brioche buns at dinner today. I must say I almost gave up after the first proofing – it was my first time working with such wet, gloopy dough! I read the other comments that some have kneaded the dough by hand – my hat’s off to them. :)

Thought I’d share my outcome. I was experimenting to make minis for sliders; since this was my maiden attempt, I made half of your given recipe (I.e. For 4 buns), then portioned 30g of dough per bun after the first proofing. Managed to yield a dozen minis, each almost 2.5 inches in diameter. The next time I make your recipe, I’ll bake it as a loaf, just as you recommended in an earlier feedback. Thanks once again!

46. Rosie says

Thank you for this recipe, pictures, and hints. Made these today for hamburgers tonight. They turned out so, so good! Perfect in every way thanks to all the information and details. I’ll be keeping this on hand and NEVER buying those bad grocery buns again!

I am making these right now and my kitchen smells beyond delicious. So excited for these buns, and such a simple recipe to follow, I love it!

48. Monica says

I am so glad I found this recipe on pinterest. The buns, which came out beautiful, were just what I needed to make a tri-tip sandwich made with aïoli and BBQ sauce. Thanks for your step-by-step instructions and the caveat that the dough is sticky.

Hi Monica!

Thanks for the feedback- I love it! Oh my goodness, your tri-tip sandwich sounds absolutely delicious. It’s not even 9AM here, and I’m already craving that for lunch!

Glad you found the tutorial helpful :)

49. Tawny says

I am very new to making bread. The other recipes I have made said to shape the dough into a ball and put in a bowl with a little oil and coat all sides. Do I not do this with your recipe? I was just worried the dough would be very hard to work with and get out of the bowl after rising. Thanks.

Hi Tawny,

What you read about oiling the bowl is very common in bread baking, although not necessary for every recipe. Since there is butter in this dough there’s no need for oil. However, if you feel more comfortable adding a little to prevent sticking certainly go ahead! Do what works for you.

Good luck & happy baking! :)

50. luneseven says

Thank you very much for this wonderful yet uncomplicated recipe!
    I made 16 mouthwatering slider buns that came out perfectly after an initial rise of 1-45 min and a second rise of 1 hour.
    My husband and guests were happily surprised to know I could bake. :-)

That’s fantastic! So glad the rolls were a hit. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave feedback. I really appreciate it :)

51. Paige says

Hi Emilie

Your recipe looks really good. How long can I keep these buns after baking? If I wanna make a smaller batch, do I just halved all the ingredients?

Hi Paige,

These rolls are best consumed within one day of baking. Since they do not contain any preservatives, they really don’t last that long.

I wouldn’t have the recipe; I would follow it as is and freeze any remaining baked rolls for future use. Just make sure they’re completely cool first. Then all you have to do is defrost them when you’re ready. That would be your best bet!

Hi Michelle,

Weigh the entire ball of dough first and then divide by the number of buns you’d like to bake. That will give you the weight for each one.

52. fiona says

This recipe is fantastic ! Only discovered it last week and have made numerous batches now. we’re headed into autumn now so perfect for our soups and burgers. This would have to be the most successful and easiest recipe I’ve come across. Tonight we did half and half wholemeal flour with a touch extra yeast for safety and they were perfect ! Thank you so much for sharing !

Hi Fiona! Glad you liked it. These rolls are definitely great for soups and burgers- you can make them mini too ;) Enjoy!

53. Nikki says

Hi! So I saw this recipe the other day and it looked so easy, and all the comments were good, so I thought I’d try it! However after the second prove I know have a baking try full with one big blob of dough and I can’t think how I’m going to salvage it… Any suggestions? I followed the recipe so carefully and can’t think where I went wrong.. though before the first prove I did think my dough was a bit wetter than yours looks in the photos … I had to use a ton of flour just to be able to shape it into balls! If anyone has any ideas let me know asap! Thanks!

• Nikki says

Hey! So I left it about another 30mins and then just scraped it all off the tray and made 8 new rolls (I had worried this would ruin all the proving…) and just went ahead and baked them. And they turned out great!!! Definitely think my mixture was too wet though as when I shaped them they kept falling flat like pancakes… So I just got them in the oven as quick as possible and then they rose and all was well :)
          Thanks for such a great recipe!!

Hi There!

When your dough is wet like that, it definitely needs more flour. Sometimes this happens due to inaccurate measuring or just because it needs more flour on that particular day. The good news is that now you know what extremely wet dough feels like- next you make this, add more flour until you are able to shape it comfortably. These things happen in bread baking and you have to make adjustments as you go!

Good luck and let me know how it goes!

54. Linda says

hi!,

I weighed everything out very carefully and after the first rise, the dough was so sticky it was impossible to handle. I had to use a lot of flour to make it manageable so that I could roll it. Unfortunately, the dough spread out a lot and it didn’t work out. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
    Linda

Hi Linda,

It sounds like there was too much water in your dough. Even though you weighed your ingredients (that’s great!) this often happens in bread baking. Sometimes you have to add more flour or water depending on your surrounding temperature. Keep in mind, this dough is naturally wet. So for next time, I would recommend adding a touch more flour to the initial mix to see if you have better results. Also, if your balls of dough aren’t shaped tightly enough they well spread.

55. Mike says

Great recipe ….had problem during the second rise…I covered them loosely with plastic wrap, but it got stuck on them and the tops were ruined after removing…any ideas???

Hi Mike,

Sorry to hear about that! Next time, lightly coat the plastic wrap with cooking spray or gently brush with olive oil. This way they won’t stick.

Hi Emilie, I just wanted to say I tried your brioche buns recipe today and my husband used them in his bbq brisket slaw recipe. They’re absolutely amazing. In the next couple weeks we are going to post the recipes of both the buns and the brisket and if you want you can take a look. And of course I am going to link to your recipe.

57. Taylor says

Do you think it would be possible to make a recipe of this into baguettes instead of buns? Baking time would be different I know but I’d definitely like a brioche baguette.

58. MJ says

Hi!

I would love to try your recipe. I did one before but it just turned out like a scone and I was so miserable after. The problem is – I don’t have a kitchenaid and I was wondering, is it possible to hand-knead the dough and still have it turn out as amazing?

Hi MJ! Don’t give up! Do you know how many ‘scones’ I’ve made before getting it right? ;)

You can make this by hand, but it will require a fair amount of decent kneading to develop the gluten. And if not properly developed, it will taste quite dense. This dough is wet, which is why I prefer the stand mixer for easy kneading. But don’t let that stop you- I say, give it a go and see how it turns out. Good luck!

59. Brian says

Wonderful stuff…so soft and fluffy, just thought I would mention since I only cook for one or two folks usually, for those that prefer, you can freeze this dough after the first proofing and it still comes out nicely…first time baking this I portioned the dough in quarters, froze three in individual zipper bags (light coat of shortening on the inside, and do your best to remove all the air…check in about an hour and remove any additional gases from yeast activity) and used the last quarter to make 2 buns. When you want to use it, just take it out a couple hours ahead, let thaw for about 30 minutes, will still be stiff but if you work it a bit by hand will warm quickly, then form your buns as usual and let them rise that second time and carry on as usual…don’t know if you should freeze for more than about a week though as I’ve never tried longer than that…once again though really good stuff

60. Brian says

Also meant to add…used the Tangzhong or Water Roux method with this…works beautifully :). Cheers

61. George says

made as per recipe, but they turned out to be dense, not light as shown in the picture above. What did i do wrong?

Hi George!

So sorry to hear that! There are a couple of factors that could have contributed to heavy/dense bread.

One possibility is that you added too much flour by accident. But most likely, it’s because of an inadequate fist rise. How long did you let the dough rise after you mixed it? It can take anywhere from 1-2 hours to double in size depending on how warm your kitchen is. If this step is rushed, the gluten will not have time to develop therefore resulting in dense bread. Also, how long was your second rise? This could be a potential factor too.

62. Tony says

This is an Amazing recipe, i use it now in my restaurant , people love it as i do! Thank you it is amazing! ~Chef Anthony

Oh my goodness, that’s one of the best complements I’ve ever received! What kind of restaurant? How fantastic. Thanks for sharing, Anthony!

63. Dinah says

Thank you for the best brioche bun recipe! These have never ever failed me and are now a family staple. So much better than anything bought! I have shaped them into hot dog rolls as well. The children ask for this all the time. I follow the reciepe to the letter and it the buns come out perfectly. Yummy! Dinah

64. Marty D says

I will never use another recipe again. I’ve tried others, but was disappointed by something about all of them. These are what I was looking for. Soft but sturdy enough, beautiful, and easy to work with. These will be perfect for my pulled pork I worked so hard to smoke yesterday!

Hooray! I can definitely relate to your frustrations- bread quests are quite serious business and I’m so glad that you are happy with these rolls. Your homemade pulled pork sounds divine. I’d love to hear how it all came out. Cheers! Thank you!

65. Andrew says

These are the best for burgers! A lot of home made bun recipes are way too hard and crusty to use as hamburger buns but these are the real deal. Soft, airy and slightly chewy, but still substantial enough to hold a sizeable burger patty!

I hate the cheapness and taste of… well I don’t want to name names, but I’ll just say I WONDER how I lived with grocery store buns my whole life! Thanks Emilie!

66. Jane says

I just had to comment because I made these yesterday.
    I have never baked any bread or anything like that before and your instructions were so easy to follow and my buns turned out exactly like yours! Everyone loved them, I had them with beef brisket and coleslaw. So yummy.
    I feel lucky to have gotten brioche right for my first time, but I must thank your recipe and instructions!

Thanks so much :)

Jane

Jane, that’s fantastic! Thank you for taking the time to comment- I love feedback. Glad you had success baking bread for the first time, that’s incredible. I’ll be dreaming of brisket and coleslaw for the rest of the day ;)

67. Shannon says

Made this yesterday to accompany short rib burgers… I was a bit intimidated by the process (I am not a baker and most attempts at bread and bread related products have been failures for me) and even along the way I was concerned that they weren’t going to come out BUT they were PERFECT. The only thing that was a bit different for me was that I too left them in the kitchen for the first rise at ~70 degrees (thermometer read 70-72) but the dough just wasn’t rising. My husband turned the oven on and set the dough on top and it rose beautifully… the second rise was the same, they weren’t rising until I propped the door open to the oven for a bit ~81 degree kitchen temp. Anyway, lovely rolls and this will be my go to recipe!

Hi Shannon! Fantastic!

Sometimes the rising process just takes a bot longer… it’s possible that your ingredients were cold, which would increase the length of time. As for the second rise, again it all depends. That’s why it’s always best to watch your dough and not the clock ;) But, since they turned out okay, you did it!

68. AtulNHS says

It’s 2 in the morning when i finished baking this bun. It is all worth the effort! Fyi, i didnt divide the dough into 8 propotions. Instead i baked them once as one huge 8-inch bun as i have an 8-inch beef burger patty and no huge bun could be found around in any store in my country. I am from Brunei btw and I am very satisfied with your recipe. Easy to follow, easy to bake. :) thank you so much for sharing the recipe.

Hi Emilie! Just wanted to let you know that I tried this recipe and it worked out great. Haven’t made brioche before and was super happy with the result. I only had light rye bread flour so though they might turn out a bit dense, but gave them a little extra time on the second rise and they turned out really light. Cooked the buns the night before and kept them in a zip lock bag until we ate them the next day – they were still super soft. Also worked well in the sandwich press the day after. I’ve linked to your recipe over at my blog :)

Thanks!

70. Lavonne cooper says

Can I use my bread maker for the dough? Do I need to adjust the ingredients and can I form the buns straight from the bread maker and place them in the oven?

Hi there! I’m sure you could use your bread maker for this, however, I haven’t tested it myself so I’m unsure how to advise!

If I were you, I’d look through the manual (with recipes) that came with the machine. Look for something similar to this recipe and follow the instructions from there. That would be the best bet! Good luck :)

Very nicely presented page and recipe. I am a bit of a brioche burger bun nut and tried your recipe and it works really well. The crumb is excellent! I learned this little trick if you want the crust to be softer – just put the buns in a ziplock bag for a day or so and the residual moisture will be absorbed by the crust.

72. Dana says

These turned out great! Bakery quality! I subbed veggie oil for butter, all purpose flour for bread flour, and water for milk as that’s what I had at home and there seems to be no deleterious effects. This will be a go-to roll recipe for me as you could make a lot of variation from the theme: sweeten the up with some cinnamon and sugar on top or maybe more savory with some shredded hard cheese! Thanks for the recipe!

Also- just an aside- I wish comments would filter so I could see feedback more easily from people who have actually made the recipe- because there’s a lot of comments (deservedly so) merely stating how tasty and beautiful they look. One of the deciding factors for me trying a recipe at all is comments from people who have made the recipe and if it’s harder for me to find constructive comments like that I usually don’t try the recipe. Just something to think about in the future….

• Fazzy says

You are quite the clever carrot. Essentially doubled your recipe to make 40 slider size buns. Perfect at 400 for 20 min. Crusty,flaky crust and soft,fluffy middle. Thank you!!

73. Michele says

Hi! I’m excited to try this! About how large were the finished buns? I need mine to be about 2″ in diameter.

Thanks!

Hi Michele!

These are larger than 2″ rolls, about the size of a standard hamburger bun. If you want something smaller, you can divide the dough into smaller portions to achieve your desired size.

74. Sophie says

Emilie,

After making quite a few (ok, lots of) adjustments based on what I had at home, I’m thrilled to say these are fantastic. You’re a clever carrot! I bake my own bread all the time, but being in Italy, usally a simple focaccia/crusty rolls. I miss the soft rolls from the UK, so thought I’d try these.

I converted the whole lot to grams, used soy milk and sunflower spread (margarine) instead of dairy, and instead of bread flour, manitoba 0 flour, plus a bit of 00 pasta flour. I also made them by hand. Yup, by hand. I just kept stirring and scraping for 10 minutes while I watched a documentary!

It’s also very cold where we are right now, so I just went for the three hour/two hour rise without paying too much attention… and they were divine. Shiny brown tops and sesame seeds that stayed on, fluffy and soft and gorgeous. I just made veggie burgers and roasted fries to have with them, and I can’t quite believe they came from my very own hands (and this magic recipe, of course)! They’re honestly store-bought quality, which gives me faith in doing as I do, making everything from scratch.

I can’t wait to browse your site for some more baking ideas. I’ve got the bug! Hopefully won’t have to tinker around with the next ones quite so much, haha. Thank you again lovely baker! :D Xx

Hello Sophie! Thank you so much for your feedback! I’m absolutely delighted that you had success with the recipe, and what incredible adjustments you made! Now that you’ve got the bug, I hope you have a go at some of the other bread recipes here on the site. Happy Baking! xx

75. fayola says

I used this recipe and it was super easy. My bread came out a lovely golden color and is still soft and tasty after 2 days. Thanks for this great recipe.

76. Zach says

We have made these buns plenty of times now they are the best hamburger buns EVER! We would never go back to buying buns because these are so perfect and easy to make!!

77. Gena says

I am an amateur chef at a summer market and historically have purchased rolls from a local bakery for my dishes. I decided this winter that I would take the time to find a good recipe so I wouldn’t have to spend $1 for each slider sized roll this up coming summer. This is a keeper!!! I was so impressed with texture as well as flavor…not to mention looks. They are amazing. I used all purpose flour (I added 3 cups and then eye balled maybe enough to make it a high moisture dough – I make old fashioned donuts with a high moisture dough as well and have an eye for what it should look like) and they turned out great. I proofed them for 1 hour in my oven for the initial ferment, and then for half an hour for the second ferment. I will be making this again but weighing out the flour to get a weight as I like using weights to bake large batches with so I can get consistent results as well. Thank you again! Amazing!

78. M says

Thanks for posting this recipe, I made them and they’re just perfect! Look just like the picture and totally delicious.
    I find though that they break up under a big juicy filling where the burger buns I can buy in store hold together til the last bite.
    Does this happen to anyone else – or is there something I can do differently when making them?
    Thanks again!

79. Hilda Chang says

Hi Emilie,
    Nice to know there is a lighter version of brioche recipe, I love brioche though try to watch my weight as well. If I use instant dry yeast,do I need to modify any other ingredients ?
    Thank you.
    Hilda

Hello Hilda,

You’re in luck- this recipe uses instant dry yeast! It’s sometimes referred to as rapid rise or fast acting yeast…

I just made these today because I needed some rolls for the sliced rump roast with gravy that I had.These were amazing,maybe the best roll I ever had.The buns are real thick and soft and are perfect for beef or turkey with gravy.The recipe was very easy and the only thing I did differently was not putting the pan with water in the oven(I forgot)and I baked them at 375 degrees for 15 minutes.They turned out so good.Now I have a recipe that I will always use instead of buying expensive rolls at the store.Thank you very much for this recipe.

81. Rachel says

These were awesome! They smelled wonderful while baking. And oh boy, you were not kidding that the dough would be wet and sticky. I felt like it took an act of God to remove it from the blades and then my hand!

Hi Rachel! So glad you like them! Yes, the dough is sticky ;) Sometimes I flour my hands a bit when dealing with the dough, that might help!

82. A C says

I made these buns today.. they looked amazing until i added the egg wash and then they all flattened :( they still tasted pretty good but were not tall fluffy buns like the ones in the photos.

Hmm… not sure why that happened! I’ve never heard of an egg wash flattening the dough. Perhaps it was slightly over proofed? Sorry I can’t be of much help :)

83. Victoria says

Just made these today for burgers. Very easy!! The dough was a bit messy to work with without wet hands (got lazy), but so worth it!! Thanks for your recipe! Mine looked just like yours… That’s rare! :-D

84. Margaret says

I don’t have a mixer… will these turn out okay mixing ingredients by hand, and then kneading the dough?

Hello Margaret,

You can indeed mix the dough by hand but it is incredibly sticky. It also requires sufficient kneading. I just wanted to give you a heads up ;)

85. Mary Augustine says

This was an epic fail. What size pan do you use after you shape them and let them rise again. I used a 15×10. It was obviously too big because I had one big FLAT piece of dough after 1 1/2 hours of rising. Did you actually get those to rise into round buns like in the picture? Do you have any suggestions?

Mary,

Your dough turned out flat because it rose for too long. In the directions, the rolled balls of dough only need to rise until “puffy and slightly risen” which can take anywhere from 1-2 hours. In your case, 1 1/2 hours was too long. This is not your fault- if your kitchen was particularly warm or the dough wasn’t shaped tight enough the dough will spread. The size of the pan isn’t necessarily the issue here (although, feel free to place the balls of dough in a coated 9×13 or 8×8 inch pan for a more snug fit).

Also, you’ll notice in the notes section to “watch you dough and not the clock.” This is crucial. Bread baking is an art- it requires flexibility and adjustments to the initial recipe as needed. When you follow these steps, they will look like the picture. Hope this helps!

86. Erena says

I just made a batch of these buns happy days I only needed 4 buns I turned the other half into gooey buns with a1/4 cup butter and 1/4 cup of ghee creamed with 1/2 cup brown sugar 1 tsp salt “roll” dough, spread, a layer of sugar mix and finish like cinnamon buns then put the rest of the sugar mix into the bottom of a 9″ pan. Arrange and bake until light brown and hollow to the knock. When you pop them out of the oven immediately and very carefully flip them out onto a cutting board, leave it for a few minutes to get all the gooey going mmmm. So light you can eat two before feeling stuffed.

87. Pappe says

Those buns look really great, and I really want to try your recipe, but I (comming from Saxony) have some trouble understanding your ingredients list. I already found out, that “all-purpose flour” corresponds to type 550 wheat flour here, but I could not find out what “bread flour” is. Could you give me a brand name or a linkt ot the “bread flour” product you usually use? I assume, it’s also wheat flour?
    Also, as cup is defined in so many different ways (customary, legal, imperial, canadian, metric) and is a measurement of volume, could you please give me a hint, how much one of your cups weights, preferably in gramms?
    Pappe

Hi there,

All-purpose flour would be equivalent to plain flour or regular flour. But I think you’ve already figured that one out!

Bread flour is also known as ‘baker’s flour.’ If you can’t find baker’s flour try looking for something with a higher protein flour used for baking. Both are made from wheat.

For measurements, try plugging in what I have listed into an online converter for measurements in grams (including the liquid). That would be the most accurate. Hope this helps!

88. Judy Blunden says

These buns are perfectly balanced – light, not too sweet or eggy, and the right amount of salt. I followed the recipe exactly except for turning the buns over at the end of the cooking period and baking a further 5 minutes as I felt the moisture in the oven meant they seemed a little undercooked on the bottom. I also used my new discovery – Platinum yeast by Red Star (from Food For Less) – which has made an amazing difference to the success of all our bread making. Great recipe and a keeper !

89. Mary Augustine says

Thanks Emilie, Yes, the first time I let them rise for too long and they spread too much. I have made these numerous times since and they have been the the best hamburger buns. I have even used this recipe for hotdog buns and for lobster rolls too. Thank you for a great recipe – Mary

90. Shari says

These are perfect! I make these and nothing else now when we have a need/want for buns. They are so soft yet hold up incredibly well after adding condiments. One thing that may help people who are new to making bread items with an egg wash is to note that the tops will be almost crunchy when they come out of the oven but soften perfectly as they cool. I was one that didn’t know this lol.

Hi Emilie,
    I own a New American Restaurant and our chef has been making insanely good burgers for years. One key has been the brioche buns that we have been paying top dollar for. As we started varying the sizes of our burgers for different occasions, the bun size needed to vary with the patty but the local bakery we use could not keep up with us. I thought, hmmm, if only I could find a delicious and easy recipe that I could knock out quickly, I could make our custom buns in any size. I found your recipe and instructions to be helpful, easy to follow, and most importantly – DELICIOUS!
    Thank you for the great recipe. No modifications needed (other than time and temp depending on ovens and room temp as you mention in other posts) and these buns are a huge money and time saving hit.
    Cheers!
    David

These brioche buns are my favorite! My husband gave me a kitchenaid mixer for our wedding anniversary in July. Today is the 2nd time I make these! They are currently in the oven and my house smells sssooo yummy!! Thank you for posting this recipe.