the ultimate zucchini slice

the ultimate zucchini slice | theclevercarrot.com

Sometimes, you come across a recipe that’s just a great recipe.

There’s no incredible back story.

No cooking revelation.

It’s just something so delicious, you have to share it with everyone you know.

Case in point: I was lying on a hot and sweaty yoga mat staring at the ceiling. My mind drifted to the recipe archive that lives in my head, eventually making it’s way to zucchini slice. I’ve made it a million times. It’s incredibly addicting.

And it’s going to change your attitude towards the mighty summer squash.

the ultimate zucchini slice | theclevercarrot.comtheultimate zucchini slice | theclevercarrot.com

Zucchini is one of those vegetables we all love when it first arrives onto the scene, then quickly fades into the doldrums, like a boring relationship.

This recipe is different.

At first glance, it might look like an eggy frittata but it’s not even close.

Zucchini slice is a typical Australian recipe, commonly enjoyed as a light lunch or snack. It’s super easy to prepare. What makes it unique in my opinion, is the texture. Combine the creamiest quiche with a bite of fluffy, savory corn pudding (minus the corn), and that’s what this tastes like.

(I know- that doesn’t even make sense).

Allow me to rephrase: it’s soft, light, airy, and not stiff or rubbery at all. I think it has something to do with the 2 teaspoons of baking powder folded into the mix.

Oh, and there’s bacon…

the ultimate zucchini slice | theclevercarrot.com

Now, I call this the ‘ultimate’ zucchini slice because it took me a couple of tries to get it to blog-worthy perfection.

Why?

Zucchini is mostly water.

This can be a real problem in baking because it creates unwanted sogginess.

The key is to drain most of the water from the zucchini before adding it to the batter. If you’ve made zucchini bread before you know exactly what I mean. Place the grated zucchini in a clean kitchen towel, twist it up, and squeeze out as much water as possible.

Then mix all of the ingredients together and you’re on your way to zucchini slice heaven.

the ultimate zucchini slice | theclevercarrot.com

This is my idea of zucchini zen.

The whole family loves this recipe (even the boys!).

Make it once, and you’ll see what I mean.

Kitchen Notes:

• I use thick-cut Applewood smoked bacon for it’s smoky-sweet flavor. You can easily find this in most grocery stores, but in a pinch, regular bacon will do.
  • Substitute any cheese that you’d like in place of the goat cheese. Try folding in 1 cup of shredded sharp cheddar, Gruyere, fontina, mozzarella (or a combination) into the batter.
  • Recipe adapted from Taste.com.au

the ultimate zucchini slice

• 3 cups grated zucchini, well drained (about 1-2 zucchini)
  • 3 slices of Applewood smoked bacon, diced into ½-inch pieces
  • 1 small red onion, roughly chopped
  • 5 eggs
  • ½ cup olive oil
  • freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 cup flour
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • ⅔ cup crumbled goat cheese
  1. Preheat your oven to 350 F.
  2. Line an 8x8 square pan with parchment paper for easy removal. Coat with cooking spray (even when lined with parchment, I've found that the eggs occasionally stick).
  3. Using a box grater, shred the zucchini. Line a bowl with a clean kitchen towel and place the zucchini inside. Twist it up to close, and squeeze out as much liquid as possible. Set the zucchini aside until ready to use.
  4. In a large non-stick skillet, sauté the bacon (no need to for oil) over medium-low heat, about 2-3 minutes. Add the onion and continue to cook until soft.
  5. Meanwhile, crack the eggs into a large bowl. Add the olive oil. Season with black pepper and whisk well to combine. Toss in the sautéed bacon and onions, and the reserved zucchini.
  6. To the bowl, add the flour and baking powder. Continue to mix until it looks like pancake batter.
  7. Pour into your lined baking pan. Sprinkle the goat cheese over the top.
  8. Bake until the filling is set, about 40-50 minutes. The top and bottom should be deep golden brown. Rotate the pan halfway through cooking time for even browning.
  9. Remove from the oven and cool for at least 10 minutes before slicing.

Comments

1. Christine says

Thank you for this!
    I have been grating zucchini and dumping it in everything imaginable, from meatballs to cookies..and not always with perfect results (water) can’t wait to try it!! XO

Hey you! You are quite welcome :) I know that feeling, grating and dumping an endless amount of zucchini into everything with questionable results! Seems like such a good idea and first an then you’re side swiped with sogginess. The good thing about zucchini slice, is that it tends to be forgiving if under baked and/or there’s too much water in the batter. xo

Just the thing I need to put into cold boxes that are headed up to the fields during harvest. Now need to wait for my courgettes to ripen.

Hello Julie! Everyone in our house loves these little squares, which is a rare occurrence. Usually, someone has something to say, especially when vegetables are involved ;) But this was a hit! I’ve experimented with other ‘add-ins’ and it is quite flexible. Have fun with the recipe, do let me know if you make it! x

I’m sold on the ultimate zucchini slice… and as I was reading, I paused for a moment to think about a recipe in the archives, in my head..a zucchini bread yes, unlike this one though. Then I was quickly snapped back upon the closeup shot pre-bake. My mouth started watering… seeing that floating cheese. This is on the list my dear. Thank you for sharing zucchini zen!! xx

Excellent! You know, although it looks very similar to a savory zucchini bread the texture is much softer, squidgier (word?) and almost quiche-like. I’m telling you, it’s very unique. You can absolutely adapt this to suit your taste possibly swapping out the bacon for something else with a hint of smoky flavor (I’m at a loss of acceptable substitutes as my morning caffeine has yet to kick in!). Enjoy finding your slice of zucchini zen, Traci ;)

Hello Katrina, I’d like to think so! It’s quite unique, super tasty and just something fun and different to make with zucchini. x

4. Beverley says

i can’t get enough of courgettes and it’s a bonus that my friend grows her own. This would ideal for a girls lunch served with salad. I love the sound of the texture too. Another delicious recipe xoxo

If words can sound ‘pretty’, than courgettes (and possibly aubergine) take the lead! Love it.
      This slice recipe would be a wonderful additional for a luncheon. You can make it in advance and a fresh green salad on the side would be perfect. Perhaps, some chilled white wine or rose would be nice too. xo

Your ultimate zucchini slice looks mouthwatering, and yes, it does resemble frittata :) In fact, I think your recipe just inspired me to make a vegan frittata. I totally agree, getting excess water out of grated zucchini is very important when baking.

Doesn’t it, Jennifer? A vegan frittata sounds really cool. No eggs, obviously? I’m so curious how you’d make it! xo

This reminds me of the zucchini bread my mom used to make. I haven’t seen a version like this since I was a kid! Thanks for bringing me back to some great memories of running inside to the smell of a deliciously fresh baked summer treat. I will give it a try!

7. Stephanie says

This looks fantastic! I have never made a savoury zucchini bread before. There are a couple of monster zucs in the backyard right now and my boyfriend has called a few to make his amazing zucchini relish… but I might just have to steal one to make this!

Hello Stephanie, zucchini relish sounds fantastic! I don’t think I’ve had that before… just the neon green stuff the comes out of a bottle lol ;) I’d love to try a fresh summer version. x

Ah beautiful!! I love zucchini slice, it was a (nearly) weekly feature in my school yard lunch box, while I was growing up. Love idea of the goats cheese – much better than the ‘Bega Cheese’ cheddar of my childhood xx

Okay, so I had to look up ‘Bega Cheese’ because I wasn’t sure what it was… you are too funny! I think the goat cheese is a nice upgrade ;)

This looks fabulous! But then, I love zucchini, and use it in my cooking in so many ways. One of my favorites is similar, but it’s actually savory pancakes. You can play with the batter, adding walnuts and parsley or anything, really… Cheers to zucchini!

Yum, you had me at walnuts and parsley… See, that’s what I love about recipes; they’re meant to be adapted. thanks for the inspiration, Mimi!

Right? I forgot to mention that during my mental departure to recipe-land, my yoga instructor was spraying the room with heavenly lavender… oh my goodness, it was divine. Funny how things happen ;) x

Hello Annie,

No, I have not made this with GF flour. You most certainly can try! I would be careful with coconut flour though, it tends to be very ‘thirsty’ so it won’t be an exact replacement by measure. If you experiment, do let me know!