This light and fluffy zucchini slice recipe is a brilliant way to use fresh zucchini when in season. All you need is 15 minutes of prep! Recipe adapted from Taste.
- 3 cups grated zucchini, well drained (about 1–2 zucchini)
- 3 slices of Applewood smoked bacon, diced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 small red onion, roughly chopped
- 5 eggs
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2/3 cup crumbled goat cheese
- Preheat your oven to 350 F.
- Line an 8×8 square pan with parchment paper for easy removal. Coat with cooking spray (even when lined with parchment, I’ve found that the eggs occasionally stick).
- Using a box grater, shred the zucchini. Line a bowl with a clean kitchen towel and place the zucchini inside. Twist it up to close, and squeeze out as much liquid as possible. Set the zucchini aside until ready to use.
- In a large non-stick skillet, sauté the bacon (no need to for oil) over medium-low heat, about 2-3 minutes. Add the onion and continue to cook until soft.
- Meanwhile, crack the eggs into a large bowl. Add the olive oil. Season with black pepper and whisk well to combine. Toss in the sautéed bacon and onions, and the reserved zucchini.
- To the bowl, add the flour and baking powder. Continue to mix until it looks like pancake batter.
- Pour into your lined baking pan. Sprinkle the goat cheese over the top.
- Bake until the filling is set, about 40-50 minutes. The top and bottom should be deep golden brown. Rotate the pan halfway through cooking time for even browning.
- Remove from the oven and cool for at least 10 minutes before slicing.
Keywords: zucchini slice, zucchini recipe, easy, Australian, homemade, bacon, goat cheese, appetizer, quick bread