This light and fluffy zucchini slice recipe is a brilliant way to use fresh zucchini when in season. All you need is 15 minutes of prep! Serve hot or cold; it’s excellent with everything.
At first glance, you might think it’s a square quiche. Or perhaps an eggy frittata? Nope, not even close. Zucchini slice is none of those things.
In fact, if you’re unfamiliar with this uniquely Australian recipe, your brain wont be able to label it. The soft, tender texture will knock your socks off. Everyone who tries it, loves it!
What is Zucchini Slice?
Zucchini slice is a savory “egg bake” originating from Australia. The batter is made with shredded zucchini, eggs, flour, olive oil and baking powder, which gives it a light and fluffy texture. I add onions, bacon and goat cheese to my zucchini slice recipe. However, you’ll see variations with corn, chili peppers and even ham.
How to Eat it.
Typically, zucchini slice is served as a “lunch box” snack or side dish. You can eat it hot, cold or at room temperature (I like it warm). For serving suggestions, it’s great with grilled meats, crunchy salads or cut into little squares as a fun appetizer for guests. PS: When I lived in Australia, I never saw zucchini slice in restaurants or anything like that. It’s one of those old-school homemade recipes everyone knew.
Ingredients You Will Need:
- Bacon (I like Applewood smoked bacon)
- Red onion
- Olive oil
- Black pepper
- Baking powder
- Goat cheese
How to Make Zucchini Slice
First: imagine you’re making zucchini bread, but savory. Shred the zucchini; squeeze out the water. Next, make the batter. Combine eggs, sautéed bacon, onions and zucchini; season with salt and pepper. Add the flour and baking powder. Pour into a lined pan, top with goat cheese and bake to golden perfection.
Best Zucchini Slice Tips:
- Bacon. I use thick-cut Applewood smoked bacon for it’s smoky-sweet flavor. You can easily find this in most grocery stores, but in a pinch, regular bacon will do.
- Cheese. Substitute any cheese that you’d like in place of the goat cheese. Try sharp cheddar, feta, Gruyere, fontina, mozzarella (or a combination).
- Zucchini. This mighty squash is mostly water. Squeeze out most of it, otherwise your zucchini slice will be annoyingly soggy.
Zucchini Slice: How to Store, Freeze and Make-Ahead
To Store: Cover zucchini slice in plastic wrap and keep in the fridge. It should last up to 3 days. Bring to room temperature before serving, or reheat @ 300 F (150 C).
To Freeze: Cut zucchini slice into individual portions. Cover tightly with plastic wrap; freeze up to 2 months. Defrost in the fridge overnight. Reheat to serve.
To Make-Ahead: I prefer zucchini slice on the same day it’s made. However, you can make my version 1 day in advance kept in the fridge. reheat to serve.
Tip: Shred your zucchini 1-2 days in advance. To do this, grate the zucchini using a cheese grater. Wrap in a clean kitchen towel and squeeze out the excess water. Transfer the zucchini to an airtight container; chill until ready to use.Print
This light and fluffy zucchini slice recipe is a brilliant way to use fresh zucchini when in season. All you need is 15 minutes of prep! Recipe adapted from Taste.
- 3 cups grated zucchini, well drained (about 1–2 zucchini)
- 3 slices of Applewood smoked bacon, diced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 small red onion, roughly chopped
- 5 eggs
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2/3 cup crumbled goat cheese
- Preheat your oven to 350 F.
- Line an 8×8 square pan with parchment paper for easy removal. Coat with cooking spray (even when lined with parchment, I’ve found that the eggs occasionally stick).
- Using a box grater, shred the zucchini. Line a bowl with a clean kitchen towel and place the zucchini inside. Twist it up to close, and squeeze out as much liquid as possible. Set the zucchini aside until ready to use.
- In a large non-stick skillet, sauté the bacon (no need to for oil) over medium-low heat, about 2-3 minutes. Add the onion and continue to cook until soft.
- Meanwhile, crack the eggs into a large bowl. Add the olive oil. Season with black pepper and whisk well to combine. Toss in the sautéed bacon and onions, and the reserved zucchini.
- To the bowl, add the flour and baking powder. Continue to mix until it looks like pancake batter.
- Pour into your lined baking pan. Sprinkle the goat cheese over the top.
- Bake until the filling is set, about 40-50 minutes. The top and bottom should be deep golden brown. Rotate the pan halfway through cooking time for even browning.
- Remove from the oven and cool for at least 10 minutes before slicing.
Keywords: zucchini slice, zucchini recipe, easy, Australian, homemade, bacon, goat cheese, appetizer, quick bread