coconut mango muffins

coconut mango muffins | theclevercarrot.com

I’ve always been an early riser.

Reveling in the calm before the morning storm of breakfast requests and pint-sized demands happens to be something I look forward to. Sometimes, I’ll even force myself out of bed early, just to steal a few caffeinated moments to myself.

The other morning, while everyone was fast asleep, I tip-toed downstairs and into the kitchen.

I made muffins. Drank coffee (in silence). Watched the heavy snow fall outside.

And in between bites of freshly baked coconut mango muffin, I couldn’t help but wonder: was that crunch from the coconut? Or was it an egg shell?!

coconut mango muffins | theclevercarrot.com

Ever since I learned how to cut a mango properly, I’ve been using them in all kinds of recipes.

I love their silky, soft texture bursting with sweetness.

One of my favorite things to do, is to cut up a mango into bite-sized pieces and throw them in the freezer. I buy a whole bunch when they go on sale. My kids love frozen mangoes as an after school snack, and they’re great for smoothies. The color of a perfectly ripe mango is absolutely gorgeous too (it makes me want to get a pedicure).

These muffins also include shredded coconut and a few white chocolate chips.

They are a tad bit sweeter than the muffins I would normally make, but I was in the mood. Call them a cupcake, if you want.

The texture is light, bouncy and would make a fun addition to your baking gig.

coconut mango muffins | theclevercarrot.com

Oh, and by the way, it was definitely an egg shell!

Kitchen Notes

Tips: These muffins are best consumed on the same day as baked (the mango will soften the muffins as the days go on).

Substitutions: White chocolate chips add extra sweetness and texture, but if you don’t have any, just leave them out!

If you don’t have buttermilk, sometimes I’ll thin out a little bit of yogurt with milk to emulate the texture. It’s not an exact swap, but it works in a pinch. Just make sure the buttermilk and/or yogurt is at room temperature before using otherwise the muffins will be rubbery.

Make- Ahead: Pre-measure the dry and wet ingredients respectively, and combine when ready to bake. The dry ingredients will last up to 1 year stored in an air-tight container or ziploc bag. The wet ingredients 1-2 days, chilled (whisk well before using).

coconut mango muffins

Serves: 10-12
Dry ingredients
  • 1¾ c. all-purpose flour
  • 1½ tsp. baking powder
  • ¾ c. sugar
  • 1 c. mango, cut into bite-sized cubes
Wet ingredients
  • 2 eggs
  • ⅓ c. melted coconut oil
  • ¾ c. buttermilk, room temperature
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
Toppings
  • unsweetened coconut flakes
  • white chocolate chips
  1. Preheat your oven to 375 F. Line a muffin tin with baking cups.
  2. In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and sugar. Add the mangoes and toss gently to coat.
  3. In another bowl, whisk together all of the wet ingredients until well blended.
  4. Gently combine the dry and wet ingredients. Try not to break up the mangoes or over mix the batter; you will have tough muffins.
  5. Spoon the batter into your muffin cups, about ⅔'s full.
  6. Sprinkle some of the coconut flakes and white chocolate chips over the top.
  7. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted.
  8. Cool for 10 minutes inside the tin. Transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling.

Comments

I made the mistake of telling Traci (@Vanilla and Bean) that we hadn’t seen a single snow flake all winter…oops! We got hit pretty hard too here in central NJ. So glad you posted the muffins! I’ve been thinking about them ever since I saw the pic your Instagram feed! Making asap! :)

Ha! Be careful what you wish for, right? Good thing the snow is pretty much melted now. I’m wondering if that will it for us this winter (nothing compares to last winter, ugh). Wishful thinking!

2. Laura says

Hi
    Yr muffins look so yummy , great for breakfast but I am lousy riser , so, probably make it for afternoon tea time .,just wondering what is your way of cutting the mango . Thanks for sharing .
    Regards
    Laura

Hi there! There are a few ways to cut a mango. My preference is to use a mango pitter first to extract the most fruit off of the pit. Then I score the two halves (criss cross pattern) and cut off the cubes. Works like a charm!

Baking muffins and watching the snow fall is enough to make me want to be a morning person. I too would love to hear your secrets to cutting mangos.

Ahh… doesn’t it sound so dreamy? Don’t worry, the tranquility doesn’t last for that long! As soon as the boys are up the circus begins! Oh, and about cutting mangoes- jump up a few comments! I’m still learning, but the mango pitter is a fantastic tool. x

Celia, I think mangoes are incredible too. I like them when they’re slightly underripe, both tart and sweet in taste. Have you tried using buttermilk powder before in baking? I’ve recently started experimenting with this…

Isn’t it? Smells like a tropical vacation! Or suntan lotion! Or a pina colada! LOL. Thanks, Bec! Hope you are doing well! xx

The snow was spectacular! But mangoes, coconut and palm trees sound really good. Love the recipe! But I’ve never mastered the art of cutting a mango – wouldn’t a tutorial (or a video!) be nice…just sayin’ xo

Hi Laney! There are so many great mango cutting videos on YouTube. But honestly, for me, it’s all about the mango pitter. It extracts the most fruit off the pit and then you can score the halves (criss cross pattern) from there. I think that’s your best bet! xo

I love how you used mango in these muffins to bring some tropical sunshine into your snowy morning Emilie! These sound so scrumptious, I think I will have to give them a vegan try (!!!). I’m totally an early riser too, soaking up moments of quiet, still solitude before the day begins. Totally sets me straight. Hope you got to have a few more of these this morning and are staying warm!! xo

Mango and Coconut is a dream. They are super gorgeous. We eat so much of Mango in India, you have no clue. My pops would peel the mango so neat that there will be one long strand of peel. There’s a reason why they call it the king of fruits.
    Love this my dear and your pictures as always are dreamy.
    xx

Oh, that is something I would love to see! Recently, it’s been my mission to master cutting a mango properly. I’m getting there. I love all the different varieties of mango too- such a wonderful, versatile (and tasty!) fruit. Thank you, Asha! xoxo

Emilie, I love the feeling of heavy snow-fall complimented with meditative silence and delicious baked goods (aka these killer mango muffins). With coconut and white chocolate, I can only imagine how lovely a treat to enjoy the early morning with. xo

Danielle, it’s absolutely the best. Even without the snow. Love that quiet, solitary time. And with coffee and baked goods? Heaven! xoxo

I think we’ve all had moments when there’s been some egg shell in the muffin mix (or the meringue, mousse or lemon curd!). I guess at the end of the day it’s extra calcium, right?! If it helps, I made a shredded carrot salad tonight with chopped dates, pomegranate and roasted almonds. Whilst crunching down on a piece of ‘extra hard almond’ I thought to myself, “hm… maybe that was actually a date pit!”. To be honest, I’m still not sure what it was… but luckily, all of my teeth are still intact.

These muffins seem to channel summer flavours for me. I love, love mangoes and make the most of the sweet glut of fruit each Australian mango season. Like you, I freeze the chopped flesh for when they finally disappear from the market shelves (which will sadly be very soon over here) to enjoy throughout the colder months. I get some coconut and try these muffins… maybe accompanied by the morning quiet, like you did. Gorgeous post Em xx

9. Emilie says

Hello Laura! Glad to know I’m not alone ;) And ps- your carrot salad sounds absolutely amazing (minus the mysterious pit, of course). What kind of dressing did you use? I want to make it! Thank you lovely! xoxo