roasted garlic asparagus

roasted garlic asparagus | theclevercarrot.com

Ah, yes… asparagus.

A sign that Spring has arrived.

Certainly the promise of warmer days are on the horizon.

Right?

Not exactly.

Over the weekend, we got blasted with yet another snow storm. On the first day of Spring, no less! Just when I thought we could put our boots away we were dragging brown, muddy snow all over the house. Again. And when I say ‘we’ I mean the lovely males of the house, cat included (my pretty white front door is covered in muddy paw prints).

But that didn’t stop me.

I braved the elements and found some beautiful asparagus on sale. They probably traveled over 20,000 miles to get to my plate, but I had to have them. They looked perfect. And at $1.99/lb I was feeling inspired.

roasted garlic asparagus | theclevercarrot.comroasted garlic asparagus | theclevercarrot.com

How to Choose Fresh Asparagus

Don’t just grab any old bunch! That’s what I used to do. Asparagus should look shiny and firm with closed tips.

If they look dry or flimsy, pass. If you’re still unsure try snapping one in half; it should break instantly.

Colors: green, purple, and white

Green asparagus is the most common variety and can be found pretty much anywhere. Purple asparagus is a little more difficult to find, usually popping up at farmers markets when available. They’re sweet and less fibrous than the green ones.

And then there’s the coveted white asparagus. These guys are grown in the dark to maintain their pristine ivory appearance. They have a high demand which usually drives up the cost $$$. I haven’t tried white asparagus before but I’ve heard they taste similar to the green ones.

Sizes: skinny, medium, and fat

I like fat.

When in season, and depending on where they’re grown, they taste fresh and grassy. I’m convinced they’re more tender. Some of the best asparagus I’ve ever had were grown locally, here in NY. Regardless of size, it’s a matter of personal preference.

How to Cook Asparagus

As a kid, we used to eat them steamed with vinaigrette for dunking. I ate them so fast I would (literally) suck them down whole like a snake engulfing its prey. And one time I actually choked! I’ll never forget- my mom pulled it out of my throat with her bare hands in one dangly, stringy piece.

OK?

So, no steamed asparagus for us today. I chose to roast them in the oven.

And it couldn’t be easier: 2 bunches of asparagus, 2 cloves of garlic, olive oil, salt & pepper.

Dillon was happy to line up the spears on the baking sheet while I minced the garlic.

Ten minutes later, they were ready to eat!

roasted garlic asparagus | theclevercarrot.com

And to finish, I drizzled them with balsamic glaze and shavings of parmesan cheese. This is optional but incredibly good. Serve with grilled pork tenderloin, steak or as a vegetarian main.

Enjoy!

Kitchen Notes:

• Asparagus suffer from carry-over heat. I’m not sure if ‘suffer’ is the right word here but they continue to cook once removed from the heat. To combat this, I undercook them slightly to compensate.

roasted garlic asparagus

Serves: 4-6 serving as a side dish
  • 2 lbs medium size asparagus, about 2 bunches
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • coarse salt & black pepper
  • balsamic glaze (optional)
  • parmesane shavings (optional)
  1. Preheat your oven to 425 F. Grab 2 rimmed baking sheets and line them with parchment paper.
  2. To prepare the asparagus, trim away the woody ends off the base, about 2 inches.
  3. Add the asparagus, olive oil and garlic to a large bowl. Toss well to coat.
  4. Divide the asparagus between the two baking sheets and spread them out in one single layer. Season with salt and pepper.
  5. Bake for about 7-10 minutes or until almost cooked through. They will continue to cook once removed from the heat.
  6. To serve, drizzle with balsamic glaze and parmesan cheese shavings.

Comments

Separated at birth – I love to prepare asparagus just this way. Doesn’t the balsamic glace just put it over the top? I love that stuff.

Oh yes. Definitely true ;) When your fabulous new kitchen is up and running (how is that going?) don’t be surprised if I show up in your neck of the woods!

I recently bought a bottle of glaze and it’s taking me forever to use it all up- I guess that’s a good thing? I’m using it more and more in my cooking because it’s absolutely fantastic. I love that stuff too.

asparagus is slowly becoming my favorite roast vegetable, after brussels sprouts. it may not feel like spring yet, but signs of asparagus give me hope!

Hi Tory!

Isn’t roasted asparagus delicious? The intense heat really brings out a lovely, nutty flavor. The glaze adds just the right amount of acidity too. It would be great on roasted sprouts ;)

Oh no, Emilie, more snow?! Will it ever end!? So happy you were able to find a bit of sunshine through on sale asparagus! What a delicious way to roast them up! I was at the store last week and saw some asparagus.. I was excited until I saw the ends, split and dried. Then I inspected the tips… some a bit mushy. I gave them the pass…. on to the next store where they had fresh, fresh, fresh! An internal celebration ensued and I did a little happy dance. Warmer days are near! I can feel it! Thank you for this recipe and for your tip about carryover. One doesn’t want mushy asparagus. ;)

Winter has been one storm after another this year! I don’t remember it ever being this bad. And cold. But I know Spring is on it’s way (cue the rain). How about those tulips by you? GORGEOUS!

I hope you do find some purchase-worthy asparagus soon! They are going to be a real treat. And I just know, however you prepare them they will be just delicious. xo

We had more snow too! Just a little on Sunday morning, but it melted quickly. Right now, it’s all dead grass and those dirty piles of snow that are slowly melting, and sunny bright skies (though the temperature is still freezing!). I hope Spring finds you guys soon!

It’s funny that you’ve posted asparagus, as I have been craving it lately too! It just seems like a Spring food, and I am so eager for it to start feeling like Spring. This looks so delicious, and I’ll definitely try your method out with the next batch I bring home!

Have a wonderful week!! xo

Thank you Laura! I’m putting that glaze on so many things! Great on grilled chicken too. Gotta love Trader Joe’s ;)

Hi Jennifer!

I’ve never met a roasted veggie that I didn’t like! They’re so, so delicious. I’m enjoying them in warm salads these days with lots of greens and super tangy vinaigrettes. Can’t wait for the Spring produce to explode. You’re in autumn now, right? Love your part of the world. x

Looking forward to next month when our asparagus will be ready (fingers crossed). I rarely roast it, but will be trying this. Will eat it carefully though and remember to chew not suck.

Haha… yes, you don’t want to do that. Fearless kids, right? I hope you enjoy the roasted asparagus; let me know how it goes! x

Hi Pam! Wow, that sounds absolutely fantastic. I love the sweet potato fennel gratin; will you be posting that recipe? I’d love to try it out! Glad you enjoyed your meal :)