I love my slow cooker.
Throwing a bunch of stuff into an electric pot and letting it cook all day is very appealing. It’s that whole ‘set it & forget it’ mentality. For this recipe, I defrosted boneless, skinless chicken thighs from the freezer and combined it with tomatoes and white beans (I was thinking chili). Of course, when I went digging around for my chili spices I couldn’t find any, so I improvised with taco seasoning instead.
Can you even do that?
I guess so, because it tasted great! I’m not even sure if there is a difference between chili and taco seasoning… I think it has to do with the cumin? Nevertheless, putting this dish together was a snap; it only took about 5 minutes of prep time (ok, maybe 7- I couldn’t find the can opener) and minimal clean up. And now that dinner was sorted, I had all the time in the world to do laundry and chase after naked kids in the backyard.
Six hours later, I was rewarded with a warm, healthy bowl of chili.
Do you have a slow cooker? What are some of your favorite meals? Do tell!
- Commercial spice blends tend to contain chemicals and preservatives. If you’re like me, and are sensitive to MSG, sulfur dioxide (and other mysterious things that you cannot pronounce) stock up with all-natural seasonings, or make your own blend.
- If you prefer, you can substitute with pre-cooked chicken, or chicken breasts for this recipe. I like to use organic, free-range chicken thighs as it is the perfect cut for braising. It’s less expensive too.
- 1 1/2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken thighs or breasts
- 1 red onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 x 14.5 oz. cans of diced tomatoes
- 1–2 tbsp. chili or taco seasoning
- 1/4 tsp. oregano
- 1/4 tsp. chipotle powder (optional)
- 1x 14.5 oz can of white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 c. cilantro, roughly chopped
- fresh cilantro
- yogurt or sour cream
- lime wedges
- shredded cheese
- sliced black olives
- pickled jalapenos
- Place the first 4 ingredients into a 5 quart slow cooker.
- Add the tomatoes, seasonings, oregano, and chipotle powder (if using.) Stir to combine.
- Cook the chili on low for 6 hours.
- Remove the chicken and shred the meat using 2 forks. Add back into the slow cooker.
- Add the beans.
- Cook on high until the chili is heated through.
- Taste, and adjust seasoning with more chili or taco spices if necessary.
- Stir in the cilantro.
- Serve warm with your favorite toppings.