a vegetarian feast!

a vegetarian feast | theclevercarrot.com

The following is a dramatized rant and should be classified as such, not a complaint.

Ahem-

Just when I thought I’d conquered the last zucchini, they sent me more. And potatoes. I could build a small retaining wall out of potatoes. I was forced to relocate my seasonal squash- butternut, acorn, delicata- to the front doorstep. They serve as autumnal decorations alongside my dying mums (thank you rain) because I am officially out of space. As I mentioned, this is not a complaint. It’s more a playful appreciation to my farm share for their generous weekly abundance of food. I’ve put together a petite menu showcasing my creative battle; 5 vegetarian recipes. To my local farmers- thank you. You’ve outdone yourself this year.

This feast is dedicated to you.

a vegetarian feast | theclevercarrot.com

Roasted Bell Pepper Bread Salad

I roasted my peppers at 450 F for about 30 minutes with a drizzle of olive oil. Once blackened, they went into a large bowl covered with plastic wrap to steam (this helps to remove the skin). Then I sliced them into strips.

The dressing was made from balsamic, sliced garlic, olive oil and oregano. Italian deli style. I also baked croutons using leftover sourdough to soak up every last bit of goodness at the bottom of the bowl.

Marinate for at least 30 minutes (or more) for the full effect. It’s worth the wait.

a vegetarian feast | theclevercarrot.com

Spiced Butternut Squash with Smoky Bacon

One lucky butternut was rescued from the doorstep for this!

Cubes of squash were roasted in a dusting of cumin, garlic powder and paprika. I don’t have exact measurements but a light sprinkle of each should do the trick. It’s topped with smoky bacon and baked at 400 F until golden. Not necessarily vegetarian, but whatever. This was my cousin’s idea. Not mine. I just stole it ;)

a vegetarian feast | theclevercarrot.com

Red Russian Kale Salad with Parmesan & Lemon

Have you tried this? Red Russian Kale. What a treat! The leaves are so tender you can eat them raw. This salad is dressed simply with lemon, olive oil and shavings of parmesan cheese. Not pictured: the sauteed version. After taking this photograph I wasn’t in the mood for salad anymore. I wanted something warm. So it went in a pan with sliced garlic, and in 30 seconds I had a new dish.

PS- This stuff wilts down to practically nothing. The amount above could barely feed two people.

a vegetarian feast | theclevercarrot.com

Pasta e Fagioli with Wilted Chard

This is comfort food at its best. It reminds me of a thick, minestrone stew. Made from cannellini beans, tomatoes, macaroni, and swiss chard I ate most of it straight from the pot… and burnt my tongue.

a vegetarian feast | theclevercarrot.com

Spicy Chili Roasted Zucchini

I learned something new with this one. To get a good sear, heat your baking sheet before roasting the zucchini. Once it hits the hot pan it will sizzle. Roast with chili flakes at 425 F until caramelized, stirring once or twice until nicely browned. Zucchini is made up of mostly water and this method is a tasty way to intensify its flavor. This would also benefit from the addition of crumbled feta and mint.

How are you enjoying your veggies these days?

a vegetarian feast | theclevercarrot.com

I wasn’t kidding.

Comments

An abundance of veggies. What a truly horrible, horrible problem to have! That pasta and kale salad scream comfort and warmth and belly happiness. All looking beautiful xx

Ha ha… I know, right? I welcome the challenge, plus maybe the squirrels will enjoy the bounty on my doorstep. Thank you so much and enjoy the recipes :)

Thank you lovely. I don’t think I’ll ever tire of pumpkin and this is a fun, flavorful way to enjoy it. It’s very lightly spiced. My cousin came up with this creation one night when we were over for dinner, and everyone really enjoyed it. Plus bacon. Everything is better with bacon ;)

How about I trade you for cake?! Normally, I’m not a huge bell pepper fan (especially green) but I love them roasted. It reminds me of a good antipasti platter with roasted red peppers & fresh mozzarella. My favorite. They’re so easy to roast and you could easily freeze whatever you’re not using. They can stand up to a zesty, herby marinated with crusty bread. Enjoy :)

Just when I thought I was over chard, I’m liking more and more again. My usual is to saute it with lemon and garlic but those hearty leaves are perfect for soup. They hold their shape much better than spinach, although I do like the latter in soups as well. And yes, bacon is fabulous! I’ve been using Applewood smoked bacon for most of my recipes because I like the thick cut and I only need 1 maybe 2 slices for flavor. Less is more ;)

This post speaks to me! I have been looking for new veggie recipes to try to get out of my usual rotation. I can’t wait to try the Roasted Bell Pepper Bread Salad. I LOVE roasted bell peppers and definitely cannot wait to make it. Thanks :)

Yay! Thank you, Kerri! One of the reasons why I wanted to do a post like this, was to showcase several things at once with hopes to inspire others. Meal prep can be overwhelming sometimes! If you like roasted peppers, I think you’ll enjoy this bread salad. You could even add tiny balls of fresh mozzarella to the mix. The longer it sits in the dressing the better it will taste :)

3. Emilie says

Hi Denise! Thank you! It’s funny, because when I made all of this food I told my husband, you better be into veggies tonight! And then I found out he was working late and wouldn’t be home for dinner. So I was ‘stuck’ with all this. Once quick call to my parents and we feasted together, family style. Enjoy the weekend :)

I do like a good vegetarian feast. It’s amazing how you can stretch out a meal this way. I often think about the farmers who supply this food and how often they supplement with meat. I’m sure it shifts with the season but it’s certainly something to be thankful for! xx

• connie raffa says

Your grandmother use to roast red peppers on the open flame of the stove. How did you roast them? Grandma dressed them in olive oil, red vinegar and garlic. Italian, of course. Love seeing her platter on the www. Auntie

Julie, it is such a great tip! I found out accidentally, as I put the tray back into the oven after I was done roasting the butternut squash- I will never have enough counter space! When I took it out to use for the zucchini, I was too impatient to wait for it to cool down. So I just went for it! I like this method because it ensures that the zucchini will get nice and brown, not soggy :)

Hi Nik! Thank you! That’s why I had to specify that I was not complaining- just needed to vent. And abundance of food is a blessing and very inspiring. I have so many potatoes right now, I might have to try your pea + potato stuffing ;)