hawaiian marinated flank steak

hawaiian marinated flank steak | The Clever Carrot

My husband announced that I needed more meat recipes on the blog. Typical guy…

But he was right- I glanced over my recipe collection and realized that I only had a couple of chicken dishes and a stir-fry. Not good. So in order to ‘beef up’ my recipe index I’m happy to share my Hawaiian marinated flank steak. It’s something that I’ve been making for years and is always a crowd pleaser. It’s my go-to recipe.

Behold… the marinade.

hawaiian marinated flank steak | The Clever Carrot

This is the star of the dish.

I use a bottled variety called ‘Veri Veri Teriyaki’  by Soy Vay (you’d know the name if you saw the label) and it’s probably the most delicious teriyaki marinade I’ve ever had. You can get it in most grocery stores, including Trader Joe’s. They make a great knock-off version for half the price. It’s so darn good, there’s no way I can replicate it. I’ve tried and I just can’t do it! And because I can’t help myself, I add a little ginger, rosemary, and pineapple juice for some island flare.

hawaiian marinated flank steak | The Clever Carrot

This steak is grilled to perfection and served alongside a simple green salad or tomato salad. With the leftovers, I like to make quesadillas, salads, and wraps with goat cheese. Or you can just pick at it straight from the fridge (that’s what I do). OK. I’m hungry now ;)

Tips:

• *In addition to flank steak, you can substitute skirt steak or rib-eye.
  • *For the best flavor, marinate your steak for at least 24 hours.
  • *To make a glaze, boil the leftover marinade and reduce it by half. Brush the steak with the glaze while on the grill.

5.0 from 2 reviews
hawaiian marinated flank steak

• 1½- 2 lbs. good quality flank steak*
  • 1 bottle Veri Veri Teriyaki marinade (Soy Vay brand)
  • 1 c. pineapple juice
  • 1 inch piece of ginger, sliced
  • 2 large sprigs of rosemary
  • olive oil
  • salt & pepper
*In addition to flank steak, you can substitute skirt steak or rib-eye.
  1. In a 9x13 baking dish, add ½ bottle of the marinade (save the rest for another use), pineapple juice, ginger, and rosemary. Whisk to combine. Add the steak, making sure that it is covered with the marinade. Add extra teriyaki and pineapple juice if necessary. Cover with plastic wrap and marinate in the fridge for at least 24 hours.
  2. Remove the steak from the refrigerator about 30 minutes prior to cooking. Taking the chill off helps the meat to cook evenly.
  3. Heat your grill to high. Remove the steak from the marinade and pat dry with paper towels. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
  4. For the glaze, pour the remaining marinade into a small saucepan. Bring to a boil and then simmer until slightly thickened and reduced by half.
  5. Grill the steak for about 6-8 minutes on each side (medium-rare), brushing them with the glaze in between each turn. Increase cooking time depending on your temperature preference.
  6. Remove from the grill and let rest for at least 10 minutes so that all of the juices can evenly distribute. Thinly slice on an angle and serve with desired side dishes.

Comments

The photo of this on instagram made me drool! I’ve been waiting for this post, thanks Emilie! :)

OK. This is happening here THIS WEEKEND. For ages I have done a soy, garlic & ginger marinated flank steak. I must try this island version. Thanks!

3. Mary says

This looks like a great recipe. I also tried numerous teriyaki sauces. Sam’s club used to have great one but they no longer carry it. Then I found one on Amazon that was good but again they stopped carry it. I found the Veri Veri teriyaki at a local specialty store when I used a Groupon but regular price was expensive. I then found it at Walmart for $2 less. We lived in Hawaii when my husband was stationed there and most of the teriyaki sauces do not compare to what is sold here. I usually marinate steak and fish (Tilapia). Thanks for the recipe. I will have to try soon.

This lokks truly wonderful.. your husband was right to get you to include this.. it will be a feature in our garden this weekend!

Thanks! x

Well, thank goodness for FB allowing me to keep track of all your gorgeous recipes even during the chaos of a move. I had to come and have a closer look at your Hawaiian steak — I’ve had it on my mind since you first posted it! You know, in addition to the flavour, I think one of the things I appreciate most about your work Emilie is that you keep it simple. No matter how outstanding a recipe may be, if it’s too complicated, I simply can’t go there time wise (busy working mom thing). Steak & salad is one of my favorite meals and your photos make this version simply irresistible! I want this for breakfast :).

Hi Jim! The olive oil is to have on hand if you need it for your grill or grill pan (so that it does not stick). There is no measurement as it is based on necessity. :)

Hi Kris! We love this recipe in our house- we use the marinade for chicken & salmon as well. Enjoy! :)

6. Freya Plower says

Here’s an actual review. This was FANTASTIC!!! Fantastic doesn’t even begin to cover it. It was so easy and delicious. I used it in tacos. I fry my own taco shells which is well worth the effort. It was flavorful and the meat was super-tender. My daughter, who thinks she doesn’t really like beef, ate the scraps that were left on the cutting board much to everyone else’s disappointment. Thanks so much for this delicious recipe. I will use it in many things.

Hi Freya! How nice of you to stop by and comment- I always appreciate feedback :)
      Your taco idea sounds fabulous. I’ve never fried my own shells before, but now I’m definitely intrigued… Sometimes I’ll slice up this steak nice and thin and add to soft tortillas topped with coleslaw. That’s a good one too. But more importantly, I’m glad your daughter ate the scraps! Always a plus when the kids like it, right? Thanks again for stopping by!

Hello! I’m currently living in London and there is no soy vay! Don’t even get me started on living without Trader Joes… Any suggestions on making this without it? Thanks!

8. Diana says

If I can not grill it how long do I cook it in the oven and on what temp. Thanks

Hi Diana! If you’d like, you can broil the flank steak (on a lined rimmed pan for easy clean up) for about 5-6 minutes/side. This will give you medium rare. Cook the steak for longer if you prefer, however I suggest no more than medium or else it will become tough. After it’s done, allow the meat to rest so that the juices can redistribute. Slice against the grain & serve. Hope this helps! :)