Dinner in 20 minutes? Yes, it’s possible…
With Christmas right around the corner, dinner is the last thing on my mind.
But we have to eat so…
Dinner is usually a stir-fry. You just throw everything into a pan and cook it. No stress. I like this particular recipe as the shrimp and snow peas cook up in a matter of minutes.
Here are a couple of tips:
- Purchase already cleaned and deveined shrimp (frozen works too). This is a huge time saver.
- Use a microplane to ‘zest’ your garlic. This is a great trick for when you’re too lazy to chop and/or don’t want to stink up the cutting board.
- Cook in batches. Overcrowding the pan will make your stir-fry soggy.
- Simplify your ingredients (i.e. don’t add a million things…) This minimizes your prep, which means dinner is on the table in no time.
So, if you find yourself knee-deep in Christmas lights and can’t be bothered with dinner, try making a stir-fry. It’s quick and easy, and a lot cheaper than ordering in.
- 1 lb. shrimp, cleaned and deveined
- 1 garlic clove
- ⅓ c. sweet chili sauce
- 1¼ c. snow peas
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- ½ tsp. sesame oil
- ⅓ c. cashews, roughly chopped
- 1 lime
- 1½ c. jasmine rice, uncooked (or another quick cooking variety)
- Grab a medium size pot and cook the rice according to the package instructions. Set aside.
- In a large, wide skillet warm the olive oil over moderate heat.
- Using a microplane, grate the garlic clove directly into the pan. Alternatively, you can mince the garlic instead. Saute until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the shrimp and saute until pink and cooked though, about 5 minutes depending on size. Remove from the pan.
- While the shrimp is cooking, trim the ends off of the snow peas. Cut each one into thirds, on a diagonal.
- Add the sesame oil to the pan and saute the snow peas until crisp tender, about 1-2 minutes.
- Return the shrimp to the pan and add the sweet chili sauce. Cook until warmed through. Add more chili sauce if necessary.
- Top each plate with some chopped cashews and fresh lime wedges to taste.
- Serve with jasmine rice.