butternut squash stuffed mushrooms with goat cheese + balsamic glaze

butternut squash stuffed mushrooms with goat cheese + balsamic glaze | theclevercarrot.com

I ate a poisonous mushroom once.

My free-spirited self wandered out into the backyard and just went for it. I was three. I don’t actually remember this but my mom does. According to her, I ate a lot of unauthorized things. I would even snack off other peoples’ picnic blankets at the beach. Restaurants were a nightmare. Oh, and you know those red snot berries that grow on pine trees? (I’m not a botanist- I apologize for the poor reference…). I wanted them SO badly for my witch’s brew in my imaginary cauldron with mud and sticks. You see? I was always into food. Life at three years old was one big communal table.

It still is.

butternut stuffed squash stuffed portobellos with goat cheese + balsamic | theclevercarrot.com

These portobellos are mushrooms you can eat.

I like them stuffed whole and baked with caramelized root vegetables and goat cheese.

Start out by roasting your butternut squash with a touch of brown sugar and fennel seeds. The sugar makes them slightly sweet while the fennel adds an Italian flare. Then brush the inside of each mushroom cap with olive oil, garlic and fresh herbs. Fill with roasted squash, tangy sun-dried tomatoes, Panko breadcrumbs (go crunch!) and cheese. Bake until warm and golden.

And here’s a thought: what if we went mini? How about baby bellas stuffed with the same mixture and served family style for a meat-free appetizer.

Serve these mushrooms for dinner or as a light lunch with baby kale and a generous drizzle of balsamic glaze. The glaze is so good. My husband, who lovingly announced that he hates mushrooms just so happened to eat two of them…with the kale. Imagine that.

Big thanks to my friends over at Q Squared NYC  for providing these pretty white plates (my fave!), slate platter and chic flatware for this recipe. Always inspiring.

Tips:

• Because mushrooms are made up of mostly water, do not soak them clean. They’re like sponges. Brush with a paper towel to remove any dirt and grit.
  • The best way to store portobello mushrooms is in a brown paper bag. Plastic packaging traps in moisture and can make them go bad quickly.

baby kale | theclevercarrot.com

butternut squash stuffed mushrooms with goat cheese + balsamic glaze

Squash
  • 2 c. butternut squash, cubed
  • 1 tsp. olive oil
  • 1 tsp. brown sugar
  • 1 tsp. fennel seeds
Mushrooms
  • 4 portobello mushroom caps, stems removed
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 1 tbsp. olive oil
  • 2 sprigs or oregano or thyme, leaves stripped and roughly chopped
Filling
  • ¼ c. sun-dried tomatoes in oil, roughly chopped
  • ¼ c. Panko breadcrumbs
  • ¼ c. goat cheese, crumbled
To serve
  • 4 handfuls of baby kale or arugula
  • juice of ½ lemon
  • 1 tsp. olive oil
  • ¼ c. shaved parmesan cheese
  • balsamic glaze
*Serves 2 for dinner or 4 for a light lunch or appetizer.
**Because mushrooms are made up of mostly water, there's no need to soak them clean. Brush with a paper towel to remove dirt and grit.
  1. Preheat the oven to 425 F.
  2. In a large bowl, add the butternut squash, olive oil, brown sugar and fennel seeds. Season with salt and pepper. Toss well to combine. Transfer to a rimmed baking sheet and roast for about 15-20 minutes, or until golden. Set aside.
  3. Reduce the oven to 375 F for the mushrooms.
  4. For the mushrooms, combine the minced garlic, olive oil and chopped herbs. Brush the inside of each mushroom cap with the mixture.
  5. For the filling, combine the sun-dried tomatoes and breadcrumbs. Mix well.
  6. To assemble, fill each mushroom with the roasted butternut squash (you will have extra- just eat it) and top with sun-dried tomatoes and breadcrumbs. Dollop with goat cheese. Place the mushrooms into a parchment lined baking tray.
  7. Bake until the mushrooms are tender and the tops are golden brown, about 10-15 minutes.
  8. To serve, dress the baby kale with lemon and olive oil. Transfer the greens to a platter and arrange the stuffed mushrooms on top. Garnish with shaved parmesan cheese and a drizzle of balsamic glaze.

Comments

Your recipe is beautiful! I love portobello mushrooms and I usually stuff them with blue cheese. But I had never thought of including butternut squash and goat cheese. I need to give them a try! Thanks for the recipe :)

Thank you Del! I forgot how much I love these guys too. Blue cheese stuffed mushrooms sounds delicious! That would be lovely paired with the sweetness of the butternut squash. My cousin makes a mean stuffed mushroom with sausage too~ Enjoy xx

2. Laura says

Love this idea! I may sub feta cheese because I love feta on anything, but this looks like a delicious fall recipe. Can’t wait to make it!!!

Don’t even get me started on feta! I put that in EVERYTHING. Just call me the feta queeen, and you can be the princess (insert kickline emoji girls here). Let me know if you’ve added it to your menu this week- although it sounds like you’ve got your hands full ;)

Yay! Vegetarian food can be a little tricky for me, as I try to aim for something both satisfying and filling. Not just greens on a plate! This is just a different way to eat something fun. I hope you enjoy! Oh, and the paper bag trick is the best (if I can ever find one…) Try it!

Yum!! I’ve stuffed butternut with fetta cheese before, but never thought to add mushrooms to the mix, what a great combo! I’m glad the poisonous mushroom didn’t do you any long term harm, Em! xx

Oooo… stuffed butternut? I’ve never tried that! You know, I’m staring at 2 baby butternuts as we speak from my weekly vegetable share. They are the cutest things ever (the size of my palm). I think I might try stuffing them for dinner as per your suggestion. They are the perfect size. Thanks for the idea love! xx

4. ruby88 says

Wow, your gorgeous photos are always an inspiration. Portobellos are a great option when I get tired of eating meat. They are very satisfying. I like the idea of the butternut squash…just a hint of sweetness along with the balsamic. Mmmm, can’t wait to try!

Why, thank you Miss Ruby! I agree- portobellos are definitely a good sub in for meat. They have a really nice (I can’t say beefy, can’t do it!) texture. In addition to stuffing them, I like them marinated and grilled. They make great burgers with smoked mozzarella and grilled sweet onions. I’m drooling now, sorry. And the GLAZE!!! My new obsession. So good.

Haha, sometimes I think it’s precisely those ‘unauthorized things’ that make us stronger. Beautiful recipe Emilie and I especially love that last photo – stunner! I’m overdue to enjoy a portobello mushroom recipe – great inspiration. I have to say they make the most attractive and delicious receptacles!

I sure hope so! I was the worst when I was a kid (or so I am told…). The innocence of a child is quite remarkable.
      You’ll find that this recipe is very adjustable to suit whatever tastes you like. One thing I did find while experimenting, was that it needed crunch. The squash, cheese and mushroom itself has a very similar texture profile. The addition of Panko really made it pop. Enjoy, Kelly and I can’t wait to see your new virtual transformation :) xx

Yay for balsamic glaze! I totally agree! This stuff has been around forever but it’s my new favorite thing. I’ve tried making my own in the past, but it boiled over onto my stove and was such a nightmare to clean. Or maybe I should stop talking on the phone while dealing with hot liquids… Having a bottle in your pantry is such a sweet convenience.

Thank you Dana! I’ve been so inspired lately by all of the lovely fall produce. I love to eat what’s in season- it’s so good for you too! xx

Me too! The fun thing is that you can really play around with the ingredients to make it what you want. This is a fun seasonal version, but I suspect I’ll be switching it up quite a bit. With cheese, always.

Beautiful, and utterly mouthwatering. I just love your site because you do things that others do not. You are so creative, and everything is so beautifully shot. This is just wonderful.

Hi Laney! You know what makes it? The dried fennel. I coat the squash in olive oil, a pinch of brown sugar and these wonderful anise flavored seeds. I could just eat the filling by itself! And I did ;)

7. Stephanie says

I will be making these for the second time tonight. This is my new favourite way to eat portobello mushrooms! Amazing recipe. :)

8. Jane says

For the balsamic glaze…did you just reduce some balsamic vinegar? These mushrooms look so good and I love roasted butternut squash! Thank you!

Hi Jane,

No, I bought balsamic glaze from Trader Joe’s. You are more than welcome to make your own here, it’s just as good. I would reduce a little balsamic with a splash of honey. Watch it closely so it doesn’t burn :)

You most certainly can! A mini version would be fantastic. I haven’t tested this myself, in terms of how long it will take to cook, but mushrooms in general are pretty easy to watch in the oven. Just keep and eye on them- once tender but still holding their shape, they’re ready. Enjoy!

Hi April!

Wonderful! The mushrooms should be ready in about 15-20 minutes. Double check at the 15 minute mark to make sure- they should be soft but still hold their shape when baked. :)

9. Kim says

Hi Emilie – can you clarify how much goat cheese this calls for? The recipe says “1/4″ – is that 1/4 cup or 1/4 of a log? Most of the goat cheese I see comes in a log. This is a really nice site!

10. mina says

Hi there,
    Just wondering if you think this could be made with sweet potato instead of squash? If so would you alter the times at all?
    thanks!

Hi Mina!

Great question. Yes, you can use sweet potatoes instead of butternut squash. I’ve done it before and it’s delicious. Just make sure not to cut the sweet potato cubes too small; they will over cook. Roast in the oven (same temperature as indicated above) until almost cooked through, about 15-20 minutes. Check on them at the 15 minute mark to see what’s going on- they will finish cooking once stuffed inside of the mushrooms. Then, continue with the recipe as written.

Have fun with the recipe, enjoy!