maple-candied bacon

Maple-Candied Bacon | The Clever Carrot

If you invited me to a cocktail party, I’d bring this.

Sweet and smoky bacon…

slathered in pure maple syrup with a crisp, candied crust.

It takes only 5 minutes to prepare and 30 minutes in the oven. That’s it. I even foil the baking sheet a million times for easy clean up. Honestly, the hardest part of this recipe is getting the bacon out of the bag.

Maple-Candied Bacon | The Clever Carrot

These make great hors d’oeuvres ( is that how you spell it?) to serve with cocktails. Any leftover bits can be thrown into salads and of course, there’s always the BLT.

Maple-Candied Bacon | The Clever Carrot

Just a little warning my dear friends, these candied beauties are hard to resist!

*See note below for recipe edit.

4.8 from 11 reviews
maple-candied bacon

• 1 lb. good quality bacon, sliced
  • 2 tbsp. pure maple syrup (not pancake syrup)
  • ¼ c. brown sugar
  • 2 tsp. Dijon mustard
  • ½ tsp. Kosher salt
  • ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
  1. Preheat your oven to 350 F.
  2. Wrap a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil and top with a wire rack.
  3. In a large bowl, add the maple syrup, brown sugar, Dijon mustard, Kosher salt, and cayenne pepper. Mix well.
  4. Add the bacon to the bowl and toss gently with your hands. Make sure that all of the slices are evenly coated* See note below.
  5. Place the bacon in a single layer onto the wire rack.
  6. Bake in the center of the oven for about 20 minutes. The bacon will be a bit brown, but will most likely need to bake for another 10-15 minutes. It should look slightly dark (not burnt) and crispy. If you take it out too soon, the texture will be chewy. Be patient!
  7. Remove from the oven and cool for 5 minutes on the rack. Don't let them sit too long or else they will stick.
  8. Once cool enough to handle, you can break the bacon into chards (you'll have about 32 pieces). Alternatively, you can leave them whole.
  9. Serve at room temperature.
Notes
*Note: When using a full pound, the bacon mixture will seem a bit dry when tossing with the glaze ingredients. This is how it's supposed to be. Additional sauce is optional, but not necessary.

Comments

1. Merryl Chantrell says

Wow if they taste as good as they look and as good as you say I’m going to have a go because I have all the ingredients. I do like recipes like this :o)

Hi Merryl! If you like salty, sweet with a crispy crust then I’d say go for it! Note: use 1/4 c. of brown sugar (and not 2 tbsp.) I just caught a typo and updated the recipe! Sorry about that :) Let me know how they turn out!

Now these are the sort of food photos I love waking up to! What a great idea.. I’d invite you over any time if you brought these sweet slices:) I hope you’re enjoying your holidays!! … and that you had a wonderful Christmas Day!! xx

Ha ha…thanks Barbara! It’s a deal- I’ll bring the candied bacon if you make those cute mini hand pies :) Hope you had a great New Year!

I think this could just about do me in, but what a way to go! :) They look amazing, Emilie, and not something I’ve ever heard of before. Thank you! And Happy New Year! :)

Ah, yes they are indulgent indeed! They’re quite the addicting snack too. So much for New Year’s resolutions :)

Hi Sara! Yes, there is enough sauce for the whole pound. It’s not like a marinade where you’d have lots of extra sauce, it’s just enough so that that bacon is lightly covered. If you’d like to double the amount, by all means go for it! Just watch it in the oven as it cooks because the extra sugar in the sauce might cause it to burn.

4. Ambre Keys says

So is it 20 minutes TOTAL time? Or is it 20 minutes plus an additional 10-15? Thanks

Hi there! It’s 20 minutes + an additional 10-15 minutes. When I made it, I found that the total cooking time was roughly 30 minutes. This will all depend on the thickness of your bacon and your particular oven. Hope this helps! If you have any other questions, please let me know :)

Hi, I this recipe sounds great! I’m curious if you had any suggestions for a brown sugar alternative? I’m paleo so I try to avoid sugar but this looks amazing. TIA

Hi there! This is a good question- if you are ok with consuming maple syrup, I would go ahead and leave out the brown sugar and increase the total amount of maple syrup to equal 1/3 cup. Do not substitute with honey (it will burn quickly). Just note that the brown sugar is what ‘candies’ the bacon giving it somewhat of a crunchy outside. With all maple syrup, the texture will be slightly different (but still tasty!) I hope this answers your question. Please let me know how they turn out! :)

• DrIndigoJones says

Hi! I am Paleo too and I’ve found coconut sugar is far and away the best substitute. You substitute it 1:1 and it caramelizes beautifully. It has a richer caramel taste than brown sugar in the first place, but that is just a bonus here. Good luck!

Hi there! Thanks for the tip. I’ve never used coconut sugar before but now I will be on the lookout! I’m looking forward to that rich, caramelized taste :)

6. Meagen says

This sounds amazing!! I wanted to make this for my boyfriend for valentines day and was curious about something. I have seen something about forming the bacon into a heart shape and baking it in the oven. Is it possible to do this and have the maple glaze turn out the same or do you think it would mess with the end product too much. Thanks!

That sounds amazing!!!

Since I haven’t made these myself, I would feel awful giving out any misleading advice… But, to be honest with you I don’t think that the glaze would mess with the end product. You just have to keep an eye on your hearts while they bake, as the tips and rounded edges tend to brown faster than the rest (to avoid this, just keep rotating your pan). If you happen to have the Pinterest recipe I could take a look and give you more specifics.

Also, if you don’t have time to experiment before Valentine’s day I would suggest making 1/2 glazed and 1/2 plain (on 2 separate trays). This way you’ll have back-up :)

Like I said, I can’t speak from experience but I hope I answered your question! Good luck and let me know how they turn out!

7. Candice says

How long will these last at room temp. Wanting to make these for my fience for our wedding day gift. It’s the bacon that bonds us. <3

Hi Candice! What a wonderful wedding gift idea.
      From memory- I usually make these in the morning, and leave them out on the counter for a couple of hours. I am not sure about the exact amount of time, because everyone eats them so fast!
      FYI- I leave the bacon on a parchment lined plate (so that they do not stick), uncovered.
      Hope this helps :)

8. Tee says

How would I go about storing this? Air tight container? Would you refrigerate it?

Hi there!
      It’s funny because I’ve never had to store these- everyone eats them so fast!
      Many of you have emailed me asking the same question, so I’ll be making a batch over the weekend. I’ll have to hide them from my boys and report back! I’ll keep you posted :)

Hi Tee,
      I just wanted to let you know that I made a batch of this bacon on Friday, and have been storing it in an air-tight container in the fridge. It’s Sunday now, and they’re still good! Before serving, I would bring these to room temperature.
      Just note that when bacon gets cold, you’ll see some of the residual fat on the slices. However, this seems to dissipate when brought to room temperature. You could always blot it away with a napkin as well.
      Hope this helps :)

Hard to resist? Nah… I can’t see that at all! ;-). These candied delights look incredible Emilie. I make something similar with brown sugar – it’s a well loved treat in this home for sure. (If I ever need to get my boys out of bed in the morning – bingo! :)). I really like how you’ve packaged the bacon in paper here (fun pub feeling) and the cocktail display as well – lovely!

Thanks Kelly!!! How clever of you to bait your boys with bacon. I love it. I wish mine would actually sleep in for once, and stay in their bed..ha ha :)

10. ELIZABETH BAKER says

Am I to seperate the slices individually before tossing in ingredients, or leave the pound intact then baste?

Hi there! You will need to separate the slices before tossing into the glaze.Do not leave the pound intact.

Here’s what I do:
      1.) Mix up the glaze in a large bowl.
      2.) Add the entire pound of bacon (slices separated) and toss gently with your hands. When using a full pound, the bacon will soak up all of the liquid (it may seem a bit dry but this is what you want). Make sure that everything is well coated.
      3.) Bake as directed.

If you have any other questions, please let me know!

Thank you so much! They’ll be great with your Sunday pancakes :) Any leftovers can be used in tons of things (salads, sandwiches, soup toppings etc…) Enjoy the recipe & thanks for stopping by!

11. Tracy says

This was a good recipe. My marinade seemed runny and I had plenty for the pound of bacon. Also, I found there was a thin line between crispy and burnt. I actually liked the bacon a little less cruncy and a little chewier. Thanks for sharing – I am trying again.

Hi Tracy!
      I’m glad that you liked the recipe :)
      The next time you make this, double check that your oven is the correct temp. using an oven thermometer. If it’s too hot, it will cause the bacon to burn! Also, try rotating you pan halfway through cooking time. This will help it to brown evenly (the tips tend to get a little dark no matter what).
      But if you like your bacon less crunchy anyway, just pull them out of the oven before they get too brown. That will be your best bet!
      If you have any other questions please let me know! Good luck :)

Hi Tracy!
      I’m glad that you like the recipe :)
      If you have any other questions please let me know! Good luck :)

12. Moira says

These were amazing. No, the hard part is not removing the bacon from the package…it is not eating them all as soon as they are cool enough to handle!!! Thanks for this great recipe.

Ha ha… I guess you’re right! I’ve been guilty of eating them burning hot too! They’re too hard to resist (and I have absolutely noooooo patience!) Thanks for making the recipe!!!
      PS- I’ve been freezing any leftover bits and adding them to salads with dried cranberries & goat cheese. Yum!

13. lauralee says

loved this recipe! however when i made it, and lined the pan with foil, there was a crack in the foil and maple got under the foil and now it has stuck to the pan as the maple has hardened into the rock, any tips on how to remove the foil ?

Oh no, what a bummer! Here’s what you do:

Place your pan into a 300 F oven. The heat will soften the maple syrup making it liquid again. Once loosened from the pan, remove from the oven and wipe away any syrup/grease/foil with a paper towel (you want to do this when the pan has cooled down slightly so that you do not burn yourself!) Clean thoroughly with soap and water and you should be all set!

Hope this helps! :)

14. Sheila says

Can you use thick sliced bacon or should it be the thinner sliced? Can’t wait to make this.
    Thanks. Sheila

Hi Shelia! I’ve only used the thin kind for this recipe, but I’m pretty sure the thick variety will be just fine. The texture might be a little chewier because of the thickness, but it will still be delicious! I hope you like the recipe :)

• Sheila says

How can I not like it? It sounds amazing. I told my hubby if he got the bacon I would make it for him today. I will sure let you know how this turns out. Thanks for sharing it.

15. Debbie says

This has been tried in my family… umm tried????? I should have said made and DEVOURED. I no sooner get it out of oven and i got a waiting line. This is awesome and must say that for a different house warming gift, shower take along or a general meal enhancement.. we sometimes have it with pancakes. Thank you so much for posting this last year.

You are quite welcome Debbie! I’m so glad that you and your family like the recipe. We devour it too in this house, like wolves :)

I just wanted to say thank you! This recipe was a hit not only with my other half but I made it and took it to my culinary school, and my presentation (on bacon) was a hit! I love it so much I re-blogged the recipe…I can’t get enough of it! Thank you again!

17. Darla Price says

This sounds like the perfect PMS food…maybe I could drizzle chocolate or caramel over it as well….I can’t wait to try it!! :)

18. Mandi says

We tried chocolate covered bacon for Father’s Day. The sweet/salty combination was perfect. I imagine this will be just as yummy. Thank you for sharing.

New to your site — came through via pinterest but adding you to my reader! LOVE your photos, they are perfect! And this recipe is obviously amazing ;)

Hi Carol!

I use regular, good-quality bacon (streaky) from the grocery store. It’s nothing fancy!

I went to a restaurant in Virginia that served this bacon with deviled eggs topped with bacon crumbles and candied pecans. It was one of the best things I’ve ever tasted. I said I would eat it for breakfast every day. Now I can and that might be a problem…

21. james says

Never though it was possible to take BACON to a new level, well you did, it is a 25 out of 10. Thinking of buying 100 pig so I won’t run out. Thank you Thank you Thank you

Hi James! Thank you so much! It’s definitely a favorite in our house. We never have anything left! :)

22. Debbie says

I was wondering if turkey bacon would work because we do not eat pork. Am anxious to try this delicious looking recipe.

Hi Debbie! You know, I’ve never tried this with turkey bacon before, but I’m pretty sure that you will have similar results. As always, keep an eye on your bacon while it’s in the oven. Do let me know how it turns out! I’m so curious… Thanks for stopping by & good luck! :)

Bravo! This recipe is bacon-tastic! We tried out the recipe for a potential Mother’s Day snack and I don’t think Mom’s gonna get any! We’ll need to revisit the grocery store in the morning!

Yay! So glad that you liked it! I think the hardest part about this recipe is actually ‘saving’ it for when you’re supposed to eat it. It’s too hard not to pick! I hope you had a wonderful Mother’s Day. Thanks for stopping by to comment :)

24. Seeley says

Would it ruin it to make it and put it in the fridge overnight? It looks amazing, but I won’t have time to make and cool it for a week-night dinner party. Thank you :)

Hi there! Great question. I wouldn’t recommend chilling the bacon in the fridge overnight; the residual fat and candied crust will get too hard. When it comes back to room temperature, the texture will change and may not be as crisp. You don’t want to take that chance!
      For prep ahead strategies, measure out all the ingredients the day before (or morning of) and get your baking pan ready. Remove the bacon from its package and place into a large bowl, covered. When you are ready, all you have to do is assemble and bake. Although this doesn’t cut down on cooking or cooling time, it will give you a couple of extra minutes in the long run. Every bit counts! Hope this helps :)

25. Pamela says

Had breakfast for dinner tonight and made this along with soft scrambled eggs. Set the oven to 375 and baked for 25 minutes. Delicious!!

Hi Pamela! That’s fantastic! I love the idea of breakfast for dinner. Always a good excuse to eat bacon, right? Thanks for the feedback ;)