This easy, 3 ingredient “no-cook” pizza sauce recipe tastes so light and fresh, you’ll never buy store-bought pizza sauce again! Use it to top my sourdough pizza or any pizza crust you’d like. It takes 1 minute to make!
- 400 g (14 oz) can of whole-peeled plum tomatoes, preferably San Marzano in puree
- 2 fresh basil leaves
Notes & Tips:
- I recommend the following brands for canned tomatoes: Cento, Mutti, La Valle and Jovial
- If you don’t have a blender, food processor or hand-held stick blender: finely chop the tomatoes by hand. Don’t dump the tomatoes with their juice onto a cutting board (it’s way too messy). Pull out the tomatoes and chop them separately, one-by-one. Then, add back to the canned tomato puree and mix well to form a cohesive sauce.
- Add the canned tomatoes and a pinch of salt to a high-powdered blender (or food processor).
- Pulse a few times, about 10 seconds, for a slightly chunky texture.
- Pour into a small mixing bowl, tear in a few basil leaves and stir to combine. Give it a taste. Add more salt if necessary.
- Cover with plastic wrap (or transfer to a small jar) and leave at room temperature for up to 1 hour. Store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Freeze up to 3 months.
Note: For smoother pizza sauce, extend the blending time until almost smooth. Strain a fine mesh strainer to remove the seeds.
Keywords: tomato, canned, no cook, recipe, quick, easy, sauce, pizza, basil, Italian