For The Dough
For The Fruit Filling
- 350 g sliced fresh peaches (about 2–3 whole peaches)
- 4 fresh strawberries, halved or quartered
- 12 g (1 tbsp.) granulated sugar
- 12 g (1 tbsp) cornstarch
For The Crust
- 1 egg
- 30 g (1/3 cup) flaked almonds
- Creme fraiche or powdered sugar
- Make the sourdough galette dough (step-by-step recipe here).
- Preheat your oven to 375 F/ 190 C.
- Make the Filling: Cut the peaches into 1/2-inch slices. Quarter or halve the strawberries if they are large. Add the fruit, sugar and cornstarch to a bowl. Toss lightly with a spoon. As the fruit sits, their natural juices will release and puddle at the bottom of the bowl. Cover and chill until ready to use.
- Roll The Dough: Remove the dough from the fridge. Let it rest for 15-30 minutes (it will be easier to roll). Roll the dough into an 11-inch circle. Do this in between 2 pieces of lightly floured parchment paper. Once finished, transfer the dough on top of the parchment paper to a rimmed sheet pan.
- (Optional next step): Place a 10-inch dinner plate on top of the dough. Lightly trim the edges with a knife. This step is 100% optional but helpful if you are obsessed with perfect circles. Rough edges are fine.
- Assemble the Dough: Spread the apricot jam on the base of your dough, leaving a 1-inch border. I use a small offset spatula for this. It’s great. Using a slotted spoon, place the fruit (leaving the residual juice behind) in the center of the dough leaving a 2-inch border. Fold the edges over the fruit, overlapping the sides as you go.
- Make an egg wash by beating an egg with a splash of water. Brush the outside of the dough with a pastry brush or folded paper towel. Add flaked almonds to the outer rim, using your hands to make them stick.
- At this point, you can wrap and chill the assembled galette for up to 1 hour. Or, jump to the next step.
- Bake & Cool: Place the sheet pan on the center rack. Bake the galette for 50 minutes. Cool for at least 30 minutes before serving. The fruit filling needs time to firm up (like lasagne).
- Serve with creme fraiche or powdered sugar.
Keywords: sourdough, sourdough discard recipes, easy, peaches, strawberries, galette, French, Italian, dough, homemade, buttery, flaky, rustic, recipe