This Torta Caprese (flourless chocolate almond cake) is different than most recipes: it does not require whipped egg whites. It’s rich, fudgy and naturally gluten free! You can make this cake several hours in advance- it gets better as it sits. Recipe adapted from Food Lovers Odyssey.
- 255 g (9 oz) dark chocolate, 60-72%, chopped into pieces
- 225 g (1 cup) unsalted butter, cut into small pats, plus more for coating
- 1/4 tsp fine sea salt
- 25 g (1/4 cup) cocoa powder, sifted
- 250 g (1 1/4 cups) granulated sugar
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 180 g (1 1/2 cups) blanched slivered almonds
- 6 large eggs (about 320 g cracked weight)
- Powdered sugar, whipped cream or both, to serve
Tips, Notes & Substitutions:
- You will need a 9 inch (23 cm) springform pan.
- I recommend Trader Joe’s Belgian Dark Chocolate or Ghiardelli brand.
- You can swap 180 g whole almonds, for 180 g almond flour (don’t go by measuring cup amounts- it’s not an even swap). The texture will change slightly because almond flour is more fine.
- Preheat your oven to 310 F (155 C).
- Coat the bottom and sides of a 9-inch (23 cm) springform pan with butter; line with a circle of parchment paper.
- Melt the chopped chocolate, butter, and salt in a double boiler, scraping down the sides with a rubber spatula as needed. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet, toast the almonds until light golden brown. Pulse in a food processor until fine and sandy.
- In a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment: mix the melted chocolate mixture, cocoa powder, sugar and almond extract until combined. Add the ground almonds; whisk to combine. Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Give is a light tap on the counter to remove any air bubbles.
- Bake on the center rack for about 50 minutes. When finished, the texture will be very moist in the center and more cooked or dense on the outside. Do not over bake. Cool for at least 2-3 hours or more before serving- the longer it sits the better the taste and texture will become. Note: as the cake cools, the center might sink slightly- this is normal.
- To serve, run a knife around the cake to loosen it from the sides. Remove the cake from the pan. Dust with powdered sugar. Cut into slices, plate up and enjoy!
Keywords: Torta Caprese, Italian cake recipe, classic, authentic, chocolate cake, flourless chocolate cake, almonds, gluten free