Oven-roasted with pancetta and drizzled with thick balsamic syrup, this Brussels sprouts recipe comes together in 30 minutes and is the perfect balance of salty, sweet, bitter flavors. Recipe adapted from Ina Garten.
For the Sprouts
- 1 1/2 pounds brussels sprouts, trimmed & halved, leaves reserved
- 4 oz pancetta, cut into 1/4-inch pieces (I used 2 oz hard salami)
- 2 tbsp– 1/4 cup olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 tbsp reduced balsamic syrup, or make your own (see note below)
Homemade Balsamic Syrup
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp sugar
- Preheat your oven to 400 F. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Add the sprouts and the reserved leaves to the sheet pan. Add the pancetta (or salami). Coat with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Roast for 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally for even browning.
- Towards the end of cooking, prepare the balsamic syrup. Pour the vinegar into a small sauté pan and sprinkle with sugar. Reduce the mixture over medium-low heat; it will only take 1-2 minutes. Keep your eye on it so it doesn’t burn! You should end up with 1 tbsp of reduced syrup.
- When the sprouts are ready, drizzle the hot balsamic syrup directly over the pan. Toss well to combine.
- Serve right away.
Keywords: brussels sprouts, pancetta, balsamic glaze, roasted, Ina Garten, Barefoot Contessa, side dish