The best apple cake with a buttery crumble topping! Moisture from the chopped fresh apples perfectly fluffs up the cake when baked. It’s highly addictive and the perfect homemade treat. Recipe adapted from Donal Skehan.
- 1 stick (113 g) of unsalted butter, softened, plus extra for coating the pan
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 apples (or 1 large apple), peeled, cored, and chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- *You can also use my crumble topping recipe on pg. 79 in my cookbook)
I used a standard 9-inch springform pan for this cake, although the original recipe calls for a 7 or 8-inch pan. Adjust your baking times to suit the size of your pan.
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Coat the inside and sides of a 9-inch springform pan with butter and a sprinkle of brown sugar.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar together using an electric mixer, about 1-2 minutes.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, and continue mixing until fully incorporated.
- Add the flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Mix gently to combine- the batter will be thick. Fold in the apples.
- Scrape the batter into the pan.
- For the crumble topping, add all of the ingredients into a small bowl. Mix with your fingers until small crumbles start to form. Scatter evenly over the top of the cake.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool before serving.
Keywords: fresh apple cake, best apple cake recipe, easy, moist, irish apple cake, apple cake with crumble topping