A simple, incredibly flaky apple tart recipe made with all butter puff pastry, hints of cinnamon and sweet apricot jam. Only 7 ingredients! Perfect for parties and weekend desserts!
- 1 sheet of frozen puff pastry, thawed overnight in the fridge
- 1 egg + 1 tsp. water, lightly beaten (egg wash)
- 1/4 cup apricot jam + 1 tsp water (glaze)
- 1/2 scant tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup sugar (I use Florida Crystals)
- 2 medium Granny Smith apples, peeled
- 2 tbsp butter, cut into cubes
- Preheat your oven to 425 F.
- Remove the puff pastry from the fridge (keep in box). Line a rimmed sheet pan with parchment paper. I use the paper that encases the pastry- double check to make sure yours is oven safe.
- In a small bowl or coffee mug, combine the egg wash ingredients.
- In another small bowl, combine the apricot jam and water. Stir well to create a spreadable mixture.
- Mix together the sugar and cinnamon.
- Cut off the sides of each apple; you should have 8 pieces altogether. Place flat side down and cut into thin slices, about 1/4-inch thick. Keep the slices stacked together as you work. It will be easier to decorate the tart this way. Set aside while you prepare the tart.
- Remove the puff pastry from its packaging. Place onto your lined sheet pan.
- Score a 1-inch border around the edge of dough to create a crust. Brush the crust (not the center square) with the egg wash.
- Dollop about 2-3 tablespoons of the apricot jam in the center of the dough. Spread with the back of a spoon to make it even.
- Arrange the apple slices on top of the jam, fanning them out as you go. It’s ok if it doesn’t look perfect. Just make sure the apples are not piled too high on top of each other- they will get mushy. Depending on size, you may not need to use all of the apples. Less is more (eat the rest as snacks).
- Sprinkle the apples with the cinnamon and sugar mixture.
- Add the butter over the apples.
- Bake for about 25-30 minutes, or until golden and crisp.
- Cool for at least 10 minutes before slicing, and for the apples to set.
- Brush the apples with the remaining apricot glaze for extra shine.
Keywords: easy, apple tart, recipe, rustic, French, puff pastry, fall recipes, fall desserts, dessert