- 4–5 baby artichokes
- 1/4 c. olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- salt + pepper
Black pepper-lemon vinaigrette
- zest of 1 lemon
- 6 tbsp. fresh lemon juice, about 2 lemons
- 2 tsp. honey
- 1/4 garlic clove
- 1 heaped tablespoon of Greek yogurt or low-fat sour cream
- 3/4 c. olive oil
- salt + pepper
* This recipe makes more than enough vinaigrette. Save some for salads and roasted vegetables.
- Preheat your oven to 425 F.
- To prep the artichokes, trim the bottom stem about 1/4-inch. Using a vegetable peeler, peel the stem (like a carrot) to remove any thick, fibrous strands.
- Next, remove most of the outer green leaves. Keep peeling until you have reached the light green center (you will remove about 3/4’s of the artichoke). The texture of the leaves will be papery thin.
- Using a sharp knife, cut off 1/3 of the pointy top.
- Slice the artichokes in half lengthwise.
- In a large bowl add the artichoke halves, olive oil, garlic, and season with salt and pepper. Toss well.
- Transfer to an iron skillet placing the artichokes cut-side down.
- Bake in the center of the oven for about 25 minutes, checking after 15 minutes to ensure even browning.
- Meanwhile, make the vinaigrette. Add the first 5 ingredients to a blender. With the machine running, slowly stream in the olive oil to emulsify. Add salt and pepper to taste. Transfer to a small bowl.
- Remove the the artichokes from the oven.
- Arrange onto a serving platter or serve directly in the skillet. Enjoy warm, with vinaigrette on the side for dunking.