- 1x 14 oz. can of chickpeas
- ¼ c. flour
- ¼ tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. sweet smoked paprika
- ¼ c. ground parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp. roughly chopped rosemary
- ½ c. Italian-style seasoned bread crumbs*
- salt + pepper
- olive oil cooking spray
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- splash of water
- 1/4 c. roughly chopped herbs, such as parsley and basil
- Small block of parmesan cheese for shavings + extra ground parmesan to taste*
- 1 lemon
* You can also use seasoned Panko breadcrumbs.
** Substitute for with Pecorino cheese for a piquant, salty flavor.
- Preheat your oven to 425 F. Generously coat a rimmed baking sheet with olive oil spray.
- Rinse and drain the chickpeas. Pat dry with paper towels as best you can (they will not be completely dry).
- For the egg wash, lightly beat the egg and water in a bowl. Set aside.
- Place the flour into a shallow bowl.
- Combine the garlic powder, paprika, parmesan cheese, rosemary, and bread crumbs. Mix well until everything is blended together.
- To bread the chickpeas, you will need to work in batches. Begin by rolling a small portion of the beans in flour shaking off any excess as you go.
- Coat them in the egg wash, draining off the extra liquid.
- Add them to the bread crumb mixture. Toss well with your hands so that they are evenly coated. Repeat this process until you have used up all of the chickpeas.
- Place the beans onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Coat thoroughly with olive oil spray. Shake the pan once or twice to move them around and spray again. They key to a golden crust it to make sure that they have an even application of oil.
- Bake for 15 minutes, tossing once halfway through cooking time.
- Remove from the oven and season with salt + pepper.
- Transfer to a serving platter.
- Using a vegetable peeler, shave some of the parmesan cheese over the top. Garnish with extra ground parmesan to taste.
- Top with chopped herbs.
- Serve warm with a squeeze of lemon.