- 1½ lbs. boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite-sized pieces*
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2–3 tbsp. marinade from artichoke hearts
- 4 sprigs of fresh oregano, leaves stripped
- olive oil
- red wine vinegar
- 1 lb. whole wheat fusili pasta
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 pint grape or cherry tomatoes, whole
- 1/2 c. marinated artichoke hearts, roughly chopped
- 1/2 c. white beans, rinsed + drained (I use northern white beans)
- ½ c. Kalamata olives, roughly chopped
- 1/3 c. parsley and basil leaves, roughly chopped
- 2–3 handfuls of part-skim shredded mozzarella cheese
- salt + pepper
- parsley + basil leaves
*You can substitute with chicken breast (just keep an eye on it so it doesn’t overcook).
- For the chicken marinade, drain the artichoke hearts reserving the juice. To a large bowl, add the chicken, artichoke juice, garlic, and oregano leaves. Drizzle with olive oil, a splash of red wine vinegar, and mix well to coat. Marinate for at least 1 hour, maximum 3 hours.
- Cook the pasta in boiling salted water. Drain and set aside.
- Preheat your oven to 425 F.
- To a casserole dish, add the sliced onions and tomatoes. Toss with olive oil, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are soft and the tomatoes begin to burst, about 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet warm 1 tsp. of olive oil over moderate heat. Remove the chicken from the marinade, pat dry, and season with salt and pepper. Working in batches, brown the chicken on both sides. It will be slightly undercooked.
- Remove the casserole dish from the oven. Add the cooked pasta, chicken, artichoke hearts, beans, olives, and chopped herbs. Stir to combine.
- Top with grated cheese and bake for an additional 5-7 minutes until the cheese is brown and bubbling. If you like it really brown, pop it under the broiler for a minute.
- Remove from the oven and garnish with fresh herbs right before serving.