This dish is one of the most popular recipes on the blog. It’s a one-pan meal that showcases both convenience and flavor. We love it in our house too.
- 1x 14 oz. jar of marinated artichoke hearts, juice only
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 4 sprigs of fresh oregano, leaves stripped
- 1 1/2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 2 tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, left whole
- reserved artichoke hearts
- 1x 14 oz. can white beans, drained & rinsed
- 1/4 c. roughly chopped Kalamata olives
- 1x 8 oz. tub marinated bocconcini (mini-mozzarella balls), drained
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 c. roughly chopped parsley
- 2 tbsp. basil leaves, cut into ribbons
- Marinade: drain the artichokes hearts reserving the juice. To a large bowl, add 2 tbsp. of artichoke juice, garlic, and oregano leaves.
- Cut the chicken into thirds, about 1 1/2- inch strips. Add to the bowl. Cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, maximum 3 hours.
- Bake: preheat your oven to 400 F.
- Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil, sliced onions, and tomatoes to a large roasting pan. Season with salt and pepper and toss to combine. Roast on the center rack stirring occasionally, until the onions are soft and the tomatoes begin to burst, about 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the chicken. In a large skillet warm 1 tablespoon of olive oil over moderate heat. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Brown the meat on both sides, working in batches and transfer to a plate. The chicken will be slightly undercooked.
- Pat the artichokes dry with a paper towel. Cut into quarters.
- Remove the roasting pan from the oven; the onions should be soft and sticky. If not, bake for an additional 3-5 minutes.
- Add the chicken, artichoke hearts, beans, and olives to the pan (not the bocconcini- if you add the cheese too early it will melt all over the place). Roast for about 7-10 minutes until the chicken is cooked through.
- To serve, add the cheese and toss gently. The heat from the pan will soften the cheese.
- Top with parsley and basil leaves, and drizzle with extra artichoke juice if desired.
- Save extra artichoke juice to drizzle over the finished dish for flavor.
- You will need a roasting pan at least 13 1/2 x 11 inches or larger. Otherwise the ingredients will steam instead of caramelize. Use 2 pans if necessary.
- Swap mozzarella for crumbled feta.
- Use cannellini or Great Northern beans.
Keywords: mediterranean baked chicken, mediterranean chicken, chicken dinner, baked chicken