With just 4 ingredients and a quick vinaigrette, this simple fresh corn and tomato salad recipe will be your go-to summer side dish. I love it served chilled with grilled chicken or shrimp and sourdough bread. Recipe adapted from Ina Garten’s Barefoot Contessa Cookbook.
- 5 ears of fresh corn, shucked
- 2 cups sun gold tomatoes (or super ripe cherry tomatoes), halved
- 1/4 cup very small-diced red onion
- 1 tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced fresh basil leaves
Notes & Substitutions
- It’s important to dice the red onion into very small pieces (large chunks will taste too strong). Alternatively, use sweet Vidalia onions or scallions instead.
- Ripe red cherry or grape tomatoes can be used instead of sun gold tomatoes. However, sun golds are exceptionally sweet!
- Fill a shallow pan such as a 9×13- inch brownie pan (or something similar), halfway with cold water and a few handfuls of ice. This is your ice bath for the corn.
- In a pot of boiling salted water, cook the corn for 3 minutes. You are not cooking it all the way through; just blanching it to remove some of the natural starch. With tongs, transfer the corn into the ice bath to stop the cooking and to keep the color bright yellow. Once cool, remove to a cutting board and pat dry.
- Using a large knife, slice off one side of the corn while it’s still on the board. Use the tip of the knife for guidance. Roll the cob over (flat side should be facing down now) and slice off the next side. Keep going until you’ve cut all all sides.
- Add the corn to a large bowl with the tomatoes, red onion, vinegar, and olive oil. Sprinkle with a good amount of salt and pepper, to taste.
- Just before serving, toss in the fresh basil. Taste again for seasonings (add more salt if necessary!) and serve cold or at room temperature.
Keywords: Ina Garten, best corn recipes, corn salad, fresh corn, csa recipe, how to cut corn, sun gold tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, Barefoot Contessa, easy corn salad recipe