For the squash
- 1 smal acorn squash, sliced into rounds with seeds intact
- olive oil, to coat
- salt & pepper
For the dressing
- 4– 5 slices of applewood smoked bacon, roughly chopped
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- dollop of apricot jam
- 1 tsp whole grain mustard
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar, plus more to taste
- olive oil, as needed
For the salad
- 1 bunch of fresh spinach, or 1 bag of baby spinach
- 1/4 small red cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 red apple, sliced
- crumbled stilton cheese, to taste
- Preheat your oven to 400 F. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper. Add the acorn squash, coat with olive oil, and season with salt and pepper. Roast for 20-30 minutes until golden brown and tender. When cool enough to handle, remove the seeds and peel off the outer skin. Chop into 1-inch pieces.
- For the dressing, add the bacon to a non-stick pan. Saute over low heat until golden. Transfer to a paper towel lined plate. Drain off most of the oil leaving about 2-3 tbsp. Add the onion to the pan and sauté until soft. Add the apricot jam, mustard, and vinegar and stir to combine. Taste (don’t burn yourself), and adjust with additional vinegar and/or oil, as needed to make enough dressing for the salad. Set aside until ready to serve.
- For the salad, add the spinach, cabbage, and red apple to a bowl. Add the squash.
- Pour the warm dressing over the top (reheat if necessary) and toss gently. Crumble the stilton over the top.
- Serve immediately.