- 2 cups quick oats*
- 2 cups puffed rice cereal (I used Rice Krispies)
- 1 tbsp ground flax meal
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
*It is important to use use quick oats, and not old fashioned rolled oats or instant oats. They are essential in binding the bars hold together.
- Grab an 8×8 cake pan and line with a piece of parchment paper, leaving some to hang over the sides for easy removal.
- Place the quick oats, puffed rice cereal and flax meal into a large bowl.
- Melt the coconut oil, honey and brown sugar in a small pot. Bring to a gentle boil and simmer for 1-2 minutes. This is a crucial step; if the honey and sugar are not completely dissolved the bars will not stick together properly. Don’t rush it. Set aside to cool for 1 minute so that it doesn’t melt your chocolate chips.
- Pour the honey mixture into your bowl. Mix with a wooden spoon until well combined and then scrape down the sides with a rubber spatula. It should look sticky.
- Mix in the mini chocolate chips.
- Tip the mixture into your lined pan. Tear off another small sheet of parchment paper and place on top. Press down with your hands to flatten everything together.
- Refrigerate your granola for about 1-2 hours or until firmly set. When ready to slice, lift the base out via your parchment paper ‘handles’ and slice into bars (or squares).
- To store, wrap up the entire cake pan or place cut bars in an airtight container in the fridge.