- 1 1/2 c. flour (2 tbsp. removed)
- 2 tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1 stick of unsalted butter (8 tbsp.) softened
- 3/4 c. sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 3/4 c. buttermilk
- 1 c. blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- 2 small red apples (unpeeled), thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp. sanding sugar
- Preheat your oven to 350 F. Line a muffin tin with baking cups.
- Measure out 1 1/2 c. of flour, making sure to remove 2 tablespoons.
- In a large bowl combine all of the dry ingredients. Sift no less than 3 times, 5 times for best results! Set aside.
- In an electric stand mixer, add the softened butter and sugar. Cream together until light and fluffy, about 1-2 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Add the eggs, 1 at a time and beat until well incorporated.
- Add the vanilla.
- Working in batches, and the buttermilk and dry ingredients. Mix until incorporated.
- Fill each baking cup about 2/3 full. Top with blueberries and about 3 apple slices, tucking them gently into the batter.
- Sprinkle with sanding sugar.
- Bake in the center of the oven for about 25- 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
* To turn this recipe into a cake, lightly grease a 9 inch spring form pan. Bake for about 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted. Cool on a wire rack before serving.