- 1 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal, preferably organic
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- ½ baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 c. vegetable oil
- 1/2 c. blonde cane sugar
- Preheat your oven to 400 F.
- Lightly grease an 8×8 pan with a little vegetable oil. Line the pan with parchment paper creating an overhang on each side. These will be your ‘handles’ to lift out the bread.
- Working over a large bowl, sift all of the dry ingredients together.
- In another bowl, whisk all of the wet ingredients making sure that everything is well incorporated.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix with a wooden spoon until there is no visible flour. Do not over mix as this will create a dry, tough bread. Some lumps are ok.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan using a rubber spatula to scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Bake on the center rack for about 15-20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the pan for 20 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack. If you are using a glass baking pan, remove the bread after 10 minutes as it will continue to cook in the pan.
- Serve warm or at room temperature with a little butter on the side.
*If you are using a baking pan larger than 8×8, you might need to decrease the cooking time depending on its size.