7 ingredient apple tart

7 ingredient apple tart | theclevercarrot.com

I’m one of those people who makes their own pie crust.

I find it therapeutic (and tasty!).

Making pie crust isn’t necessarily difficult, but I do empathize with those who’d rather rearrange their shoe closet instead. I suspect it’s the rolling and handling of the dough that’s off-putting to some (even myself depending on mood).

In any event, there is one dough I exclude from my baking repertoire: puff pastry.

7 ingredient apple tart | theclevercarrot.com

Homemade puff pastry requires time and patience.

Both of which can be lacking around the holidays.

For sanity’s sake, it’s perfectly fine to use good-quality puff pastry from the grocery store (see kitchen notes below for recommend brands).

And the rest is easy:

• This recipe only requires 7 ingredients, 4 of which you most likely have on hand: sugar, cinnamon, eggs & butter. Maybe apples, too.
  • No rolling required! I’ve designed this recipe so that 1 standard sheet of puff pasty is all you need. Just place it on a sheet pan and you’re ready to go. By the way, pre-rolled puff pastry comes wrapped in parchment paper; use that to line your sheet pan ;)
  • Make this in advance. Bake the tart in the morning, and reheat in a low oven before serving.
  • This dessert is perfect for when you just want a ‘bite’ of something sweet after dinner. Makes 12 squares.

7 ingredient apple tart | theclevercarrot.com7 ingredient apple tart | theclevercarrot.com7 ingredient apple tart | theclevercarrot.com

To begin, peel your apples- I’m using Granny Smith. Cut off the sides into ‘cheeks’. No need to core.

Thinly slice the apples, keeping them stacked together as you work. It will be easier to decorate the tart this way.

Score a 1-inch border around the pastry to create a crust. Brush with egg wash.

Dollop the inside of the tart with apricot jam. Add your sliced apples on top, fanning them out as you go.

I lightly piled some of the apples towards the center (the boys kept wrecking my patterns), which is totally fine. We’ll call that rustic, okay?

Sprinkle the apples with cinnamon, sugar, and dot with butter. Bake for 30 minutes until bubbling, golden and crisp.

This tart tastes just like an open face apple pie, with a buttery, flaky puff pastry crust. The aroma is out of this world! The steam and moisture from the apples combine with the apricot jam, making the apples all sticky and delicious. It’s wonderful hot, cold, standing, sitting- I’ve tried it every which way. Try spreading a little more jam over the apples straight from the oven for a glossy glaze.

And if you’re lucky, you might even score a piece with caramelized cinnamon sugar around the edges…

7 ingredient apple tart | theclevercarrot.com

Kitchen Notes:

Puff pastry brands-

• Dufour is a great. The flavor is excellent. And it’s all butter. However, the dough comes in one big block as opposed to convenient pre-rolled square sheets.
  • Trader Joe’s sells the pre-rolled puff pastry sheets, which I love. They come individually wrapped and you get 2 sheets per box.
  • Pepperidge Farm also makes puff pastry and is probably the easiest to find. The sheets (2) come individually wrapped. However, their ingredient list is a little too long for my liking and includes partially hydrogenated vegetable shortening and oil. If you’re going to indulge in puff pastry, go for all butter.

*Whatever brand you choose, remember to defrost your dough overnight in the fridge, or for a few hours at room temperature before getting started. Puff pastry is usually sold frozen.

7 ingredient apple tart

Serves: 12 squares
  • 1 sheet of puff pastry, thawed
Egg Wash
  • 1 egg, lightly beaten
  • 1 tsp water
Apricot Glaze
  • ¼ cup apricot jam, divided
  • splash of water
For the Tart
  • ½ scant tsp cinnamon
  • ¼ cup sugar (I use Florida Crystals)
  • 2 medium Granny Smith apples, peeled
  • 2 tbsp butter, cut into cubes
Kitchen Notes: this tart can be made a few hours in advance and reheated in a low oven to serve.
  1. Preheat your oven to 425 F.
  2. Remove the puff pastry from the fridge (keep in box). Line a rimmed sheet pan with parchment paper. I use the paper that encases the pastry- double check to make sure yours is oven safe.
  3. In a small bowl or coffee mug, combine your egg wash ingredients.
  4. In another small bowl, combine the apricot jam with a splash of water. Stir well to create a spreadable mixture.
  5. Mix together the sugar and cinnamon.
  6. Cut off the sides of each apple; you should have 8 pieces altogether. Place flat side down and cut into thin slices, about ¼-inch thick. Keep the slices stacked together as you work. It will be easier to decorate the tart this way. Set aside while you prepare the tart.
  7. Remove the puff pastry from its packaging. Place onto your lined sheet pan.
  8. Score a 1-inch border around the edge of dough to create a crust. Brush the crust (not the center square) with the egg wash.
  9. Dollop about 2-3 tablespoons of the apricot jam in the center of the dough. Spread with the back of a spoon to make it even.
  10. Arrange the apple slices on top of the jam, fanning them out as you go. It's ok if it doesn't look perfect. Just make sure the apples are not piled too high on top of each other- they will get mushy. Depending on size, you may not need to use all of the apples. Less is more (eat the rest as snacks).
  11. Sprinkle the apples with the cinnamon and sugar mixture.
  12. Add the butter over the apples.
  13. Bake for about 25-30 minutes, or until golden and crisp.
  14. Cool for at least 10 minutes before slicing, and for the apples to set.
  15. Brush the apples with the remaining apricot glaze for extra shine.

Comments

Yes, yes, yeeeessss!!! (cheering with excitement this early morning!!) I just made something similar.. but I love the slather of apricot jam!! Easy, quick and ready when you are. Can you see this with a dollop of vanilla bean ice cream or bourbon whip? Now… I’ve never tried store bought puff (I know, can you believe?)… because, I’m with you, the ingredients were always off putting (I’ve not seen other brands besides PF – but I’ve not been looking). So I make my own – but quick puff, mostly. I love how rustic and easy this is, Emilie and it’s perfect for Thanksgiving! Delicious! xx

Yay! Thank you! How many hours are you behind EST? T’is the season for apple tarts and pies! I realized I used apricot jam in the recipe prior to this one- it has so many good uses ;) And I can totally see this with a dollop of ice cream or whip. Mmm…

Now, I’ve heard of quick puff but have yet to try it. Going on the list. Sounds very interesting! xx

Hi Katrina! I first learned about apricot glaze for tarts in culinary school; it makes the top all shiny and helps the fruit set in place. I love that it’s not too sweet and does not have an overly pronounced flavor, like strawberry jam or something similar. I always have a jar in my fridge! Great on grilled cheese too ;)

I love this apple tart! yes, rustic and beautiful!! and I agree, when you can, make your own pastry dough! but yes, I don’t mind spending the $10 or whatever it is for the good stuff, Dufour, when I’m in a rush!

You look like a princess baking there. I absolutely love love this. Hey, when there’s puff pastry, why worry right?! This looks amazing. Need to make it. Haven’t made a puff pastry treat in a while.
    Pinning.
    Have a great day girlfriend.

That’s the best thing I heard all day :) And yes! You can totally put your own spin on this recipe, experimenting with different fruit and warming spices. Enjoy and thanks for pinning my friend! xx

I’m right there with you on the puff pastry, Emilie… as much as I love making things from scratch, puff pastry is one of those things that is worth to buy at the store ;) This tart is just lovely and I love that you used apricot jam too :)

Hi Sarah! You know, if traditional puff pastry didn’t require all that repetitive rolling, chilling, turning and folding- it wouldn’t be so bad. Perhaps, one day they’ll be an easier way to achieve similar results, faster. Traci (comment towards the top) mentioned trying a ‘quick’ puff pastry. I’ve seen a few recipes in this style and it’s certainly worth investigating! xx

so incredibly delighted (and volumes of giddy) to have this in my email today — apples are my favorite fruit, period. no contest. they are just the perfect amount of sugar to crisp to tart to beautiful foliage to incredible diversity for me. & coincidentally granny smiths are my favorite. this is an absolutely perfect tart for the holidays, excellent emilie. ♥

That makes me so happy, Danielle! Thank you! So glad you like the posts :)

We had the privilege of going apple picking earlier in the season, and what a delight it was to eat apples straight from the tree. The crunchy sound of biting into the apples was mind blowing- so fresh (and delicious)!!! Have you tried Macoun apples? Those are some of my favorites. They’re tart, sort of sweet, and perfect for baking. But sadly, the season is short… xx

I love making pie dough too!! It was the first thing I ever made from scratch. I find the process therapeutic as well. But there is also something to be said for this creation with minimal steps and delicious results. Puff pastry is much more demanding than most home cooks want to deal with understandably!

Yes! It’s really no hard at all. It’s the same thought process as pureeing a soup (in the food processor). but I do understand that rolling it out can be a pain. But the flavor can’t be beat, that’s for sure! I might have a go at ‘quick puff’ sometime soon. xo

Never made my own puff pastry can you believe it? I mean if you know you know that if a recipe doesn’t require some heavy work in the kitchen I will reject it! But I’ve always been daunted by puff pastry. And feel like a cheat if I use it! These are like the Dutch “appelflaps” or apple hand pies with lots of butter, cinnamon and flaky crust. Love the apricot jam glaze and just again how simple it all is.
    The tart is a beauty Emilie. Pinned my friend… :)
    (on another note, not to sound too creepy or anything, your hair looks gorgeous!)

Totally not creepy, by the way ;) You’re too funny. It’s the one time I actually have my hair down, and not tied up into some ratty mop bun on top of my head. And mmm… appelflaps sound really yummy. For some reason, I picture it being sold by street vendors like crepes… is it a bakery thing? xo

Puff pastry is so challenging to me, too. I love the results, but sometimes, the effort isn’t quite worth it. Thanks for the recommendation of Dufour; I’ll have to look out for it. Your tart is absolutely gorgeous, too! XO

Hi Jayme! Dufour is great, but if you have TJ’s near you, get the pre-rolled sheets! They’re fantastic to work with. xoxo

This looks just like the type of dessert I like to eat- lightly sweetened but fruit based, elegant enough to feel like a treat but free-form enough not to feel fussy. Lovely.

You know, that’s a great question- I’ve yet to stumble upon it. I bet it’s only a matter of time until someone brings GF puff to market. Maybe it will be you… ;)

Hi Loran! Thank you so much! And you can switch up the fruit too, to make it seasonal. Plums in the summer are incredible… xo