on my list to make…

You inspire me.

For the last 185 days, I’ve spent countless hours dreaming up recipes for the cookbook.

And I’ve had an incredible time doing so; cooking, creating and writing about food. It’s my thing. And with no disrespect to my own muse, I’m ready to eat someone else’s food! Your food! You already know that I squirrel away hundreds of recipes- whether torn out from magazines or scribbled down on the back of junk mail- I’ve got them all stuffed into a 3-ring binder. The day has finally come to tackle that beast.

Here are 5 scrumptious recipes that I can’t wait to make.

The gorgeous photo (up top) are ice cubes made with edible flowers.

Jayme, from Holly & Flora made these ice cubes using an assortment of colorful flowers from her very own garden. How pretty! She mentions that using distilled water (instead of tap) will create perfectly clear ice cubes without any specks of white.

Jayme also shows an easy way to preserve beautiful spring radishes…

PS- she’s designing her own chicken coop too (we need to live next door).

Get the recipe: Edible Flower Ice Cubes & Spicy Quick-Pickled Spring Radishes

This colorful stunner comes all the way from South Africa, via Bibby’s Kitchen.

It’s also my husband’s birthplace.

I will happily fire up my oven in the sweltering July heat to make this healthy, roasted vegetable creation. And I will eat tahini from the jar while doing so… Beautiful, Dianne!

Get the recipe: Roast Vegetables with Tahini Yogurt Drizzle

There are a squillion mouthwatering recipes on Heidi’s blog, Foodie Crush.

Settling on just one recipe is like trying to pick out a Christmas outfit; it’s not easy! I chose her grilled halibut topped with juicy tomatoes and creamy avocado because it’s fresh, simple and delicious. I bet if you had any leftovers, they’d be great wrapped up in a whole grain tortilla.

Get the Recipe: Grilled Halibut with Tomato Avocado Salsa.

And for something sweet…

How about these luscious boozy popsicles from Elizabeth? She’s the talent behind Brooklyn Supper which won ‘Most Delicious Food’ at the recent Saveur Blog Awards (congrats!). What I love most about this sweet treat, is that it’s made with fresh ginger and zesty ginger beer.

Excuse me, as I wipe the drool off my keyboard…

Get the Recipe: Dark and Stormy Popsicles

• • • • • • • • • • • • • • •

I’m thinking about featuring ‘On My List to Make’ a regular series on the blog… what do you think?

Comments

I love this idea!! Not only is it a great way to discover new blogs, but I love seeing what stands out to other people on the interwebs. I just saw those popsicles from Brooklyn Supper on Pinterest and was in love! So it was really cool to see that you liked them too :)

Hi Sarah!

Oh, good. So glad you like the idea! I’m always curious to see what inspires others as well, and as you’ve mentioned, it’s a great way to discover new blogs. I love looking at all of the photos together. Thank you, Sarah! :)

That roasted veggie dish looks incredible! I didn’t know your hubs was from South Africa (!!!) how neat! Would love to try more African recipes. Maybe I’ll start with this one here. Hope cookbook creating is going smoothly and that you’re having lots and lots of fun! <3

Hi Jessie!

Doesn’t it look lovely? Those colors! I always eat with my eyes first. Plus… tahini ;)

Yes, my husband is South African! I’ll definitely post some more traditional recipes here, if you’d like. South African cuisine is such an interesting and unique food culture. And thanks for the mention about the book- all is going well. Will be knee deep in book edits soon! xoxo

3. Jennifer says

Likin this idea. Love the edible flowers from Holly and Flora and will definitely check out Foodie Crush’s Halibut recipe. Do you think it would work well with Cod or any other suggestions in case I can’t find Halibut?

And boozy popsicles! Love it. Thanks for sharing your ‘list’

Hi there!

Jayme’s edible flower ice cubes are gorgeous, aren’t they? I couldn’t stop staring at them myself. They would be lovely in a beautiful jug of sangria.

For the grilled fish, Heidi mentions that salmon, swordfish and tuna would be great alternatives. I bet Cod would work too (I often sub cod for halibut when available).

Glad you like the list! I think I’m going to continue the series :)

I’m loving this idea, Emilie! ‘On My List to Make’ – a great way to inspire us to keep cooking and to keep creating. And of course, to keep the sisterhood growing! By the way that Roast Vegetables with Tahini Yogurt Drizzle is to die for!

Hi Jennifer!

Yay! Thanks so much for the feedback. You mentioned sisterhood- that’s so incredibly important. Recipes are meant to be shared and I’m more than happy to support my friends… and cook their food. xoxo

Yes, love this, do it more often! I love to see what inspires other people. Those ice cubes are like beautifuuuuul! All my love Emilie, xo!!

Yes, please.. These are all amazing recipes and photos. Especially that chicken breast dish. I have so much respect for anyone who can make chicken breasts look that good.
    Cheers, my friend!

Hello! I think the dish you’re referring to is the grilled Halibut? The pic with the tomatoes? Either way, I think a chicken version would be delicious too. xoxo

Emilie, I love this series! And thank you so much for including my edible flower cubes and the pickled radishes. I am laughing, as I type this, because I tried making some iced tea just now. I scoured the freezer for plain ol’ ice cubes, and all I had on hand were veggie, herb, and lemon cubes! I hope you are thoroughly enjoying your afternoon and are having an amazing time with your cookbook preparations! :-) XO!

I’m also excited to try Brooklyn Supper’s ice pops. Fresh ginger in Moscow mule pops!??? I’m in!