mustard roasted cauliflower with thyme

mustard roasted cauliflower with thyme | theclevercarrot.com

Here’s a quick one for you today-

This dish was inspired by a Christmas gift, country-style mustard from Holland.

It was not intended for the blog.

But when I posted to Instagram you wanted the recipe.

So, I made it again!

It’s dead simple. Only a few ingredients. And 30 minutes in the oven, not even.

Remove the large stem from the base of the cauliflower. Run your knife around the center core working in a circular motion; pull it out. The cauliflower will easily break into florets. Cut any large florets in half or into quarters.

Slice a red onion into wedges.

For the mustard, you don’t need to source condiments from Holland (and curse me out in the process). Any country-style mustard will do. If you’re not familiar, country-style is a cross between whole grain and Dijon mustard. It contains a vinegar, spices and sometimes a hint of garlic. You can easily find it at any grocery store.

mustard roasted cauliflower with thyme | theclevercarrot.com

Toss the veggies with mustard, olive oil and scatter with thyme sprigs.

Bake @425 F for 25-30 minutes or until golden. Do this in the top third of your oven for best caramelization.

The flavor is everything you’d expect from a good roast; nutty, sweet, toasty, sticky, earthy with a slight tang from the mustard. Your kitchen will smell insane. Serve as a side dish (goes great with steak) or as a vegetarian main course with leafy arugula.

And that’s it.

mustard roasted cauliflower with thyme | theclevercarrot.com

After thought: drizzle a quick mustard vinaigrette over the top for extra flavor. I didn’t do this the first time, only the second time around.

Either way is delicious!

mustard roasted cauliflower with thyme

Cauliflower
  • 1 medium cauliflower
  • 1 large red onion
  • 2 tbsp. country-style mustard
  • 3 tbsp. olive oil
  • salt + pepper, to taste
  • 6-8 thyme sprigs
Vinaigrette (optional)
  • 1 tsp. country-style mustard
  • 1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
  • ¼ c. olive oil
  • salt + pepper, to taste
  1. Preheat the oven to 425 F. Grab a rimmed baking sheet.
  2. To prepare the cauliflower, remove the large stem at the base. Run your knife around around the center core, cutting in a circular motion; pull it out. The cauliflower will easily break into florets. Cut any large florets in half, or into quarters.
  3. Slice the onion in half lengthwise. Remove and discard the paper skins. Cut each half into 5 wedges.
  4. In a large bowl, add the mustard and olive oil. Whisk well to combine.
  5. Add the cauliflower florets and onions to the bowl. Toss gently to make sure everything is coated.
  6. Spread out onto a rimmed baking sheet. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
  7. Strip some of the leaves from the thyme springs and scatter over the top. Add the rest of the sprigs.
  8. Roast in the the top third of the oven for about 25-30 minutes or until golden and caramelized.
  9. Meanwhile, make the vinaigrette. Add the mustard and lemon juice to a bowl. Slowly stream in the olive oil and whisk to emulsify. Season, and set aside until ready to use.
  10. At this point, your kitchen should smell wonderfully fragrant. Check the cauliflower; is it golden? If so, remove it from the oven.
  11. Arrange onto a serving platter and drizzle with vinaigrette, if desired.

mustard roasted cauliflower with thyme | theclevercarrot.com

Comments

Hi Karen! I love roasted cauliflower too- that intense heat really concentrates the flavor making it nutty and sweet. The mustard adds a lovely tang, which is a nice compliment. Enjoy!

You know what’s funny? I’ve never roasted cauliflower with thyme before. It was only until I smelled it in the oven when I has that ‘aha moment.’ What a treat. I do love thyme with onions so I had a feeling it would work :)

Almost a year ago, I stopped blogging for the blog. I just made whatever I was feeling at the moment and stopped second guessing myself. And you know what? I am so much better for it! I bet the recipes that haven’t made it to your blog are wonderful. You are a fabulous chef, Mimi.

Laura, this would be fantastic with leafy greens and extra vinaigrette as a main. Maybe with a little brown rice tossed throughout? And dare I say bacon…

roasted cauliflower…. hard to beat it! mustard and thyme sound like the perfect warm undertone. i have a recipe on my blog for roasted cauliflower, rosemary & grapes that i fell head over heals for a few years ago. your recipe will be the next! xo

Ooo, that sounds so delicious Amanda. I love woodsy herbs… You know, I bet you could morph both of our recipes together- the flavors would work! And thank you, now I will be thinking of juicy roasted grapes for the rest of the day ;)

I’m still dreaming of your Romanesco with hot pepper… I think you’ll like the mustard with this, Laney. Even some of your specialty products from the store would pair nicely.

What a lovely Christmas gift. I’m so happy you posted this Emilie after having seen it on IG! I don’t know what happens to cauliflower when roasted but it’s something magical. Enter mustard, thyme and onions and well, I’ll have to cancel my massage appointment in favor of this. Love the shot of the mustard from overhead. So, so stunning! Thank you for this! :D

It certainly was! My husband is from South Africa by way of the Netherlands. He grew up eating a lot of Dutch food. There is a Dutch specialty store in CT, and my aunt (who lives there) sends us all kinds of international products. We have a whole assortment of stuff! The sweets are good too.

Don’t you dare cancel that appointment girl! xo

Oh, that’s fantastic! Thank you so much for the feedback, Traci. Aren’t those sweet onion bits yummy? I’m a sucker for caramelized onions all around. Glad you enjoyed it. xoxo

Hi Aarthi! Thank you! It worked out to my surprise as well. I mentioned to someone (above) that the thyme was a complete afterthought. Who knew?

Ahhh! I didn’t make the connection until just now. Hooray for Holland! And mustard! My husband’s family originated in the Netherlands and then moved to South Africa. He has been dying to go back.

Hi Kristie! It’s a great idea for dinner or a side, and it’s so quick to put together. Just don’t get too close to those onions. I always cry my eyes out ;)

Hi Jen! Welcome! It’s a good combo- the cauliflower and onion. It would work with broccoli too. I think the next time I make this, it’s going to get a dusting of parmesan cheese :)

Welcome Jennifer! Your recipe sounds wonderful! Love buckwheat. There’s just something about roasted cauliflower that really transforms a recipe. Mustard and thyme work really well here, with a hint of sweetness form the onions. I hope you enjoy!

Hi: I just discovered your blog from Pinterest and WOW! I love it. And, as I have been at a loss for new ideas for veggies, this cauliflower is fabulous. Will try it tomorrow night. Your images are great, and I will follow now!
    Libby

Welcome Libby! I hope this blog finds you well. If you have any questions, feel free to get in touch anytime! Enjoy! :)

So beautiful! Cauli is such an underrated vegetable. I’m starting to love it, particularly roasted… haven’t tried mustard yet but I am in love with this recipe. Definitely trying it out as soon as I get my next load of vegetables from the market :) x

So…I made the Cauliflower on Saturday night and it was a huge hit! Very good, and different and there is a wee bit left tonight. Hmmm: it’s pasta night in our house….not really what one might have with roasted cauliflower, but so what! Thanks for the new recipe.!

Ah- Sorry for the late response! Thought I answered this already ;)

Pasta and cauliflower are heaven to me. Great idea! Thanks again for the update, Libby!

6. mendip5000 says

Just eaten this as a side with roasted pork loin (oyster sauce, soy, ginger, sage, powdered mustard) and buttern
    ut squash (fennel, carroway, smoked paprika, almond, rapeseed) and it was the star of the meal according to my family. Thanks Emilie.

Oh my goodness, I wish I was at your dinner table! What a fantastic spread! So glad you and your family enjoyed the cauliflower. Thanks for the feedback :)