stuffed endives with cranberries + roquefort

stuffed endives with cranberries + roquefort| theclevercarrot.com

Say it with me… ‘ahn-deev.’

Never in my life have I called it that! You?

I’m an endive girl.

I’m also a hypocrite.

Last week, I publicly disclosed my appetizer anxiety. I cited memory loss and the inability to create. Yet here I am, exactly 7 days later with another appetizer recipe.

Just like that. As if nothing ever happened.

stuffed endives with cranberries + roquefort| theclevercarrot.com

Endives are a member of the chicory family.

They’re best described as bitter, although I’d argue they’re on the mild side (we’re not talking broccoli rabe). Endives are also related to frissée. You know, that curly green found in mesclun? Cousins.

I use the spears as vessels and chop the rest for the filling.

The filling is made with red and green endives, toasted walnuts, dried cranberries and piquant Roquefort cheese. I use my black-pepper lemon vinaigrette to balance out the flavors. I’m slightly obsessed with its sweet tanginess at the moment. The honey is a nice compliment. You’ll find the overall texture is crisp and refreshing and would pair well with anything on the table.

The great thing about endives is they’re hearty. They hold up nicely, without getting soggy right away.

stuffed endives with cranberries + roquefort| theclevercarrot.com

Ooo! Sunshine on a plate…

stuffed endives with cranberries + roquefort| theclevercarrot.com

Flower power!

stuffed endives with cranberries + roquefort| theclevercarrot.com

This recipe is very retro with a modern update.

In fact, you might even recognize it. I believe it’s raisins and traditional blue cheese that’s the most familiar variation. However, there is plenty of room for flexibility. Goat cheese, dried cherries and hazelnuts would make great substitutions. Or, if you’re preparing this for the holidays, toasted chestnuts would be perfect. PS- this recipe is naturally gluten free.

I enjoyed these ahn-deevs with Madame Editor as a light, Friday night nibble with wine.

Have I finally conquered my kitchen nemesis?

Tips:

• Endives oxidize quickly when chopped. Toss with vinaigrette to prevent browning.
  •  Serve this appetizer on a pretty cake stand for a thoughtful, yet casual presentation.
  • If you prefer, make this recipe as one big salad instead of individually stuffed spears. It’s just as good!

stuffed endives with cranberries + roquefort

Vinaigrette
  • 3 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
  • 1 tsp. honey
  • 1 heaped tbsp. Greek yogurt
  • ¼ c. olive oil
  • salt + pepper, to taste
Endives
  • 3 Belgian endives, 2 green + 1 red
  • ½ c. walnuts
  • ½ c. chopped cranberries
  • 1 wedge Roquefort cheese
  1. In a small pan, toast the walnuts over low heat until fragrant, about 2-4 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board to cool. Roughly chop into bite-sized pieces.
  2. For the vinaigrette, add the first 3 ingredients to a blender. With the machine running, slowly stream in the olive oil to emulsify. Add salt and pepper to taste.
  3. To prepare the endive spears, remove the base from both the red and green endive. Slowly start to peel away the leaves. Trim the base as you go, so that they fall off easily. Reserve the small inner leaves for the filling.
  4. For the filling, slice the remaining green endive in half lengthwise. Cut across into half-moons. Slice the reserved inner leaves.
  5. Add the endives, toasted walnuts and cranberries to a large bowl. Toss with some of the vinaigrette. Season with salt and pepper.
  6. Arrange the endive spears on a decorative platter or cake stand. Fill the base of each spear with a portion of the filling.
  7. To serve, top with crumbled Roquefort cheese. Drizzle extra vinaigrette over the top if desired.

stuffed endives with cranberries + roquefort| theclevercarrot.com

I own you, appetizers.

Comments

I’ve made such claims only to go and do exactly the opposite of what I’ve said too ;) haha but honestly, you’re right that an appetizer like this would really go with anything and is so nice, bright and fresh!
    That goat cheese, hazelnut and dried cherry version would be amazing. You’re doing really well with these app ideas!

Hi Chrisitne! That’s exactly it! I’m slowly realizing that appetizer recipes are festering in my subconscious. And once I start to pay attention the ideas flow freely (well, at least for now anyway). I probably just jinxed myself.

I’m off to go read about your shortbread! I’m excited to see how they turned out. Hopefully not a ‘whole pan’ situation I’m assuming this time? ;)

Personally, I love, LOVE appetizers! I’m definitely an appetizer sort of person. And these look so pretty and seem delicious – and healthy too.

Hello Joyti! I love them too, but for some reason I tend to hit a serious road block in the creation department! Lately things have seemed to clear up a bit. And I like it. These endives are great for entertaining or if you prefer, you can make one giant salad to have all to yourself. Maybe I’ll have to pick your brain for some appetizer ideas?

What is the ahn-deev? I’m with you; endive all the way! Love it too and yours are beautiful and delicious as ever! Honey is a good balance with the bitterness of the endive (mild, I agree).

Funny how inspiration hits.. I’m already stressin about a main dish post for January sometime…! I know it will come…. the waiting is the hardest part.

Thank you, Emilie for another delicious and beautiful recipe! Hope you have a stress free weekend (hope…) !!

Hi Traci!

I don’t nearly use endives enough. They really are mild, and provide a refreshing crunch to salads and dishes like this. I’m going to work them into my cooking while the season is here! My mom marinates sliced endives in a simple French vinaigrette, served chilled. So good.

Don’t stress about posting! I know you don’t want to hear (so cliche) BUT- the inspiration will come. You know it. And when it does, your ideas will flow fast and furious!

Keep calm and carry on, dear friend. xo

I know- this totally has a retro vibe to it. And when I get into holiday mode, I tend to go traditional. Those are the best food memories for me! Enjoy Pam! xo

Really? I thought it was all lobster over there! I had no idea. Oh wait, how about lobster roll stuffed endives… ;)

4. Susanna says

Love your photos, Emilie! What is the brand of that white serving plate that your endive salad is on? It’s very pretty.

Hi Susanna! Thank you so very much. You wouldn’t even believe- it’s a cake stand! It was a gift from my husband and he picked it up at a vintage market (no brand name). I even checked the bottom for you and all it says is made in Italy. I’m sorry I have no more information :(