homemade fluffy marshmallows {corn syrup free}

homemade fluffy marshmallows {corn syrup free} | The Clever CarrotIt’s a messy job, but totally worth it.

Before I dive into the world of marshmallows, it’s interesting to note that most recipes contain corn syrup and/or raw egg whites (it makes them soft and fluffy). The problem is, I’m not a fan of corn syrup and most people freak out about raw eggs. So, what is one to do?

Use evaporated milk.

homemade fluffy marshmallows {corn syrup free} | The Clever Carrot

Yes, it’s true. I’m not exactly sure what kind of magical powers it might posses… All I know is that evaporated milk makes the fluffiest marshmallows ever, without having to add any of the above ingredients. It’s the best kept secret.

Here’s another tip- your cooking tools are just as important as your ingredients. If you’re short on any of them, the process is going to be a little bit tricky. You will need the following (in this order):

• Patience
  • Clutter free workspace
  • Stand mixer
  • Cooking spray
  • Non-stick 8×8 or 9×13 pan
  • Parchment paper
  • Candy thermometer
  • Rubber spatula
  • Sifter
  • Powdered sugar & cornstarch
  • Sharp knife, pizza wheel or kitchen scissors

And now, kindly prepare yourself for a fleet of snowy white photos with comprehensive instructions at the end of the post (I had to lure you in somehow- this is a long one!) Sunglasses are optional.

homemade fluffy marshmallows {corn syrup free} | The Clever Carrothomemade fluffy marshmallows {corn syrup free} | The Clever Carrothomemade fluffy marshmallows {corn syrup free} | The Clever Carrothomemade fluffy marshmallows {corn syrup free} | The Clever Carrothomemade fluffy marshmallows {corn syrup free} | The Clever Carrothomemade fluffy marshmallows {corn syrup free} | The Clever Carrothomemade fluffy marshmallows {corn syrup free} | The Clever Carrot

All of that for homemade marshmallows?!

Yes! They taste way better than store-bought and you have control over the quality of ingredients. Of course they’re a bit messy, and yes your fingers will get sticky- but the truth is, they’re a lot of fun to make. Once you have this basic recipe down, you can add different flavorings and toppings to make them your own. Follow these tips and you will have beautiful, fluffy marshmallows.

Tips:

• Space is your friend. If your kitchen lacks counter space, move this project to a clean kitchen table. Position your stand mixer near an outlet, and set up all cooking tools and ingredients before you begin.
  • Prepare your pan right away. Marshmallows set very quickly, so be sure to have your pan prepped and ready to go. All pans need to be generously coated in cooking spray and lined with parchment paper. I recommend using something non-stick, but glass or metal will do.
  • Do I really need a candy thermometer? Yes. In order for your marshmallows to set properly, the milk and sugar must be heated to approximately 250 F. Regular thermometers only go up to 220 F. Don’t chance it.
  • Get to know your rubber spatula. This is the one and only tool that will get the fluff out of the bowl. Keep in mind, because marshmallows are very sticky you will not be able to scrape every last bit out of the bowl. You will not have a perfectly smooth finish to the top as well. This is all OK.
  • Powdered sugar & cornstarch… why both? Even though powdered sugar has a small amount of corn starch in it, additional cornstarch acts as a moisture barrier preventing the marshmallows from becoming sticky. Make sure to sift your mixture before coating the marshmallows (you don’t want any clumps!).

***And last but not least- because evaporated milk is a tan color, your mixture will initially be brown. Do not fret- after 10-15 minutes of mixing on high speed, your marshmallows will become a soft, creamy white color. I was skeptical at first, but it’s true.

5.0 from 2 reviews

• stand mixer
  • non-stick 8x8 or 9x13 pan*
  • parchment paper
  • candy thermometer*
  • rubber spatula
  • sifter
  • sharp knife, pizza wheel or kitchen scissors
*I recommend using a non-stick pan, but glass or metal will do. For thick marshmallows, use an 8x8 pan. For thinner marshmallows, use a 9x13 pan.
*In order for your marshmallows to set properly, the milk and sugar must be heated to approximately 250 F. Regular thermometers only go up to 220 F.
  1. Generously coat the bottom and sides of your pan with cooking spray.
  2. Cut the parchment paper to fit the inside of your pan. You should have about 2 inches of overhang on each side. These will be your 'handles' for easy removal.
  3. Pour ½ cup water into the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Add the gelatin and allow to soften, about 10 minutes.
  4. In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, evaporated milk, and ¼ cup water. Whisk over low heat until the sugar has dissolved.
  5. Bring the mixture to a gentle boil. Immediately reduce to a simmer, without stirring, until a candy thermometer registers 247- 250 F, about 10-15 minutes.
  6. Add the hot syrup to the gelatin mixture and beat on low speed until incorporated.*See important note below.
  7. If using a vanilla bean, slice it in half lengthwise with a pairing knife. Scrape out the seeds using the blade of the knife. Add the seeds (or vanilla extract) to the bowl.
  8. Increase the speed to high and beat until thick, fluffy, and tripled in volume, about 10-15 minutes. Your marshmallows will be a glossy, creamy white color.
  9. Using a rubber spatula, quickly scrape out the mixture into the prepared pan. Lightly coat your spatula with cooking spray and smooth out the surface. Marshmallows set very quickly, so you will need to work fast. Do not worry about getting every last bit of marshmallow out of the bowl or making the top perfectly smooth!
  10. Allow the mixture to set, uncovered (not refrigerated) for at least 8 hours- overnight.
  11. After the marshmallows have set, combine the powdered sugar and cornstarch in a large bowl. Whisk thoroughly.
  12. Spoon some of the mixture into a sifter, and sift over the top of the marshmallows and a cutting board.
  13. Using the parchment handles, remove the marshmallows from the pan and place onto your board.
  14. Dust a large chef's knife, pizza wheel, or kitchen scissors with the powdered sugar/cornstarch mixture so that they do not stick to the marshmallows.
  15. Cut the marshmallows into 1-inch squares.
  16. Toss the marshmallows into the mixture to prevent sticking.
  17. Store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
Notes
* Because evaporated milk is a tan color, your mixture will initially be brown. Do not fret- after 10-15 minutes of mixing on high speed, your marshmallows will become a soft, creamy white color.

Comments

Thank you Laura! Replacing the corn syrup with evaporated milk works like a dream. You will never believe how soft and fluffy they are! I hope you enjoy :)

Your kids will LOVE making these! We definitely had a lot of fun with this project. And they are delicious in hot chocolate too! So soft & creamy… and if you can make them with vanilla bean, even better :)

Oh, how funny is that? I guess it’s that time of year ;) If you’ve never made them before, this is a very reliable recipe. Enjoy!

1. Merryl Chantrell says

Thanks for the super easy recipe. I cannot tolerate raw egg whites so this recipe is great.
    Looks yummo too.

You are quite welcome Merryl! I know a lot of people who cannot tolerate raw egg whites as well, so that was one of my motivations behind this recipe. The results are very similar, if not the same. Using evaporated milk is a great tip :)

Beautiful! I adore homemade marshmallows. I was on a real kick with them a few years ago, and I remember that even though I thought I had “cleaned up” , as I walked around my kitchen I saw a fine dust of confectioner’s sugar and cornstarch everywhere! I had to laugh… and then I”d eat another marshmallow. One year, I actually did them on my back patio. No kidding. It turned out to be a really good solution.

I find your use of evaporated milk intriguing. The technique is new to me… I have got to give this method a go. I have always entranced by watching the string of hot syrup as it was absorbed into the egg whites. I love watching as the mixture mushrooms to such a volume that it looks as though it might overflow the mixture bowl.

Congratulations on a beautifully realized recipe and marvelously done post. Brava! Happy Holidays!

How funny- that powdered sugar mixture sure does get all over the place! Great idea to do it outside. I have this really ugly disposable table cloth that I plan on using next time. I’ll just wrap the whole thing up and throw it in the trash ;)
      I think you will really appreciate the use (and ease) of the evaporated milk. It is so amazing how it transforms these marshmallows into soft, puffy deliciousness. What’s even more amazing, is that the mixture starts out brown and then turns completely white. I was shocked!
      We wrapped these up and gave them away as holiday presents. They are a huge hit with grown-ups and kids alike! I hope you enjoy. Happy holidays Adri xx E

Hi! Not sure how I got here but glad I did. I love making marshmallows when I do have the time and patience. I look for an organic corn syrup but had not heard of using evaporated milk. But will for sure try it for my peppermint marshmallows. Thanks. wendy

4. Jennifer says

Do you think you could use this recipe to make Rice Krispies? Perhaps just cook them and obviously skip the cooling step? Thanks for the great recipe!

Hi Jennifer! I don’t see why not… I haven’t done it myself, but it’s worth a shot. Keep in mind, the marshmallows are very, very sticky so it might be a little bit difficult when measuring out the amount you need for your recipe. If you try it, let me know how it turns out. I’m so curious! Thanks :)

5. yasmeen says

Hi…sounds cool…can we make this with homemade evaporated milk. .in the place where I live..I dont get evaporated milk..plz reply at the earliest..thank u

Hi Yasmeen! You know, that’s a very good question… I’m pretty sure you can use your own homemade evaporated milk, however I have not experimented with this (sorry I cannot advise!)
        In order for the marshmallows to set properly, the milk and sugar mixture must reach 250 F. So whether you’re using store-bought or homemade evaporated milk, this step is absolutely crucial. Please let me know how it turns out! Good luck :)

Wow, they definitely hands-down beat any supermarket version of marshmallow! Pillowy squares of soft, sweet heaven! I’ve never eaten a homemade marshmallow but I definitely want to give your recipe a try. Thanks, I’m excited!

Oh my gosh, evaporated milk marshmallows, they sound heavenly! I am so pleased that I have stumbled upon your blog, I love it.

Thank you Kate!!! It’s the best secret ingredient! It makes them super moist & fluffy. Who knew, right? ;)

8. Nina says

Hi I’m hoping to try these ASAP! I’m in the uk and we have condensed milk which is brown and tastes of caramel and we have evaporated milk which is white and we pour cold onto puddings like cream. Which do you think sounds most like the right one? Sorry for being dim! And also have you ever tried using vegetarian gelatine? All those veggies get a raw deal missing out on these and I wouldn’t mind giving it a try! Thanks!

Hi Nina! No need to apologize- For this recipe you will need evaporated milk, not condensed milk. I’m not sure if you have different varieties of evaporated milk, but you are looking for one that is unsweetened. There is plenty of sugar in these marshmallows already! ;) I’ve heard of vegetarian gelatin but have never used it before. If you try it, do let me know! :)

9. Maya says

they looks so yumm and a must try ASAP :) a silly Q here can i use it (skipping the cooling step) as a marshmallow creme? wanna make a marshmallow butter frosting for a cake cant find the creme anywhere here and cant feed babies raw egg as well :( help please

Hi Maya! You know, I’ve never made marshmallow creme before so I’m not really sure if you could just skip the cooling step in this recipe. Common sense tells me no, because these marshmallows set very fast in the pan. You wouldn’t be able to spread it on anything. Have you tired Googling a recipe? That might be a good idea. I’m sorry that I could not be of more help. I hope you find what you are looming for. Good luck! :)

10. Omotayo says

Hi, I’m hoping to try this recipe bt do you know if I can use this to make fondant?

Hi there! I’m not really sure if you could use this recipe for fondant… I don’t believe so. I wish I could be of more help! Let me know how it goes if you try it out :)

You are my savior! I wanted to make marshmallows for my blog anniversary, and I just noticed at 9 pm that I didn’t have any corn syrup. Plus I had a can of evaporated milk, which I don’t normally have, so this recipe fit like a glove (though I had to make half because I didn’t have much gelatin :P)
    So thank you! If everything comes out right, they will be posted on my blog tomorrow :)