blood orange negroni

blood orange negroni | The Clever Carrot

5 PM is a magical time in our house. I call it rush hour…

When the clock strikes, my darling little boys morph into CRAZED monsters. They scream. They break things. The cats fear for their lives. It’s like they’ve been cast by a spell! If you have little kids, you know exactly what I’m talking about about.

Enter: husband with cocktail.

clementines | The Clever Carrot

One night (after the craziness had settled down), my husband made me a blood orange negroni. I’ve never had one before and to be honest with you, I was kind of bummed. When I think of a negroni, I picture an old man’s drink. My grandpa loves them.

But an old man’s drink it is not!

My negroni was wonderfully light and refreshing. It was made with campari, gin, sweet vermouth, and a splash of blood orange soda (Trader Joe’s strikes again!) He even garnished it with thinly sliced clementines. Très chic.

blood orange negroni | The Clever Carrot

So now I’m a negroni fan. I love the slightly bitter, slightly sweet taste with hints of heavenly orange (I guess Gramps was onto something…) It makes a wonderful aperitif as well. Two can play at this game, rush hour!

*If you can’t find blood orange soda, substitute with fresh orange juice (navels, clementines, or blood oranges will work too). Add club soda and a little agave syrup if you like it sweet.

5.0 from 2 reviews
blood orange negroni

For the drink
  • 1 oz. campari
  • 1 oz. gin
  • 1 oz. sweet vermouth
  • blood orange soda
Garnish
  • clementines, thinly sliced
  1. Combine campari, gin, sweet vermouth, and pour over ice.
  2. Top with blood orange soda and stir well.
  3. Garnish with thinly sliced clementines.
Notes
*If you can't find blood orange soda, substitute with fresh orange juice (navels, clementines, or blood oranges will work too). Add club soda and a little agave syrup if you like it sweet.

Comments

I’m hearing you on the 5 o’clock thing!!! So cheers! And lets drink to bath, books and bedtime!!! Wish I had a trader joe’s around me…blood orange soda…that sounds perfect :)

Yes! Cheers to bath, books & bedtime :) It’s certainly a wild time of day, isn’t it? I wish you had a Trader Joe’s near you too…doesn’t help that I talk about it all of the time either. They really do have the greatest stuff at decent prices. The brand of blood orange soda that I use is ‘Villa Italia’. You might be able to find it in an Italian specialty store or gourmet market.

Ahhh, good old 5 o’clock… All of us mama’s know it well! ;) I’m so excited that you’ll be making your own blood orange soda. My husband likes to make homemade sodas. I’m sure it will be delicious!!

What a delicious drink! I adore the odd negroni after enjoying one in Italy a few years ago! It is so a grandpa drink, but I agree – they’re onto something there!!

Ha ha, right? So it’s not only my Grandpa… :) They’re quite refreshing and the addition of blood orange soda is a nice compliment to the bitterness!

It’s nearly time to go to bed here but your pictures woke me up! I’ve never had a negroni before but you make it sound absolutely delicious… :)

Thank you Rakhee! They’re wonderfully light and refreshing, especially with the blood orange soda. They’re even better when someone else makes them for you- ;)