homemade miso dressing

miso dressing, greens

I’m a big fan of homemade salad dressings.

They’re quite simple and inexpensive to make. In my dream fridge, I’d have an array of homemade dressings all lined up in cute little jars waiting to be used at my leisure. In my real fridge (crammed in between the leftovers), I usually have just one dressing; my good old stand by of olive oil, vinegar and dijon mustard.

Then I discovered miso.

miso dressing jar

Miso dressing is a Japanese style concoction made from buttery, white miso paste. It also contains honey, rice wine vinegar, and sesame oil which gives it that nutty, salty, sweet taste. Need I say more?

My favorite way to eat it is drizzled over avocados. It’s also great in salads with carrots and cucumbers, and is absolutely delicious over grilled tuna. My 3 year old enjoys it with raw broccoli. Yeah that’s right, raw broccoli.

miso dressing, avocado, greens

If you’ve never made your own salad dressing before, this recipe is incredibly easy. Just throw everything in the blender and hit the button. That’s it. It will keep in an air tight jar for about a week (if it even makes it that long). This stuff is highly addictive.

5.0 from 1 reviews
homemade miso dressing

Serves: 1 cup
  • 3 tbsp. white miso*
  • ¼-1/2 garlic clove (depending on how much you like)
  • 1 tbsp. honey
  • 2 tbsp. mirin
  • 2 tbsp. rice wine vinegar
  • ½ tsp. toasted sesame oil
  • ¼ cup vegetable or mild olive oil
  • 2 tbsp. water
*To make this gluten-free, be sure to look for brown-rice based white miso. Gluten-free brands include Eden Foods & South River Miso.
  1. Blitz everything together in a mini food processor or blender. Add additional water if it seems too thick.
  2. Store dressing in an air tight jar in the fridge. It will keep for about a week.

Comments

• theclevercarrot says

Isn’t it delicious? I can eat it on anything…sometimes straight from the jar :)

1. Ruby says

Sounds great. Since I love Miso soup, I will try this. I haven’t seen white miso before. Do you think the red kind would work?

• theclevercarrot says

Hi Ruby!
      I chose white miso for this recipe because of its mild, buttery flavor. Red miso, although delicious in its own right, would be too strong for this salad dressing ( there are several types of miso paste- white, yellow, red and black. The flavor ranges from mild to strong).
      I have used red miso for hearty soups, sauces, and braised Asian dishes.
      PS- You could always experiment with red miso, maybe using a smaller amount. I’ve never tried it before, so let me know how it goes!

I have never tried miso before! Like you, I love salad dressings and there are always at least two jugs in my friedge :)

• theclevercarrot says

Hi Tandy,
      You should definitely give miso a try! There are a couple of different types, but white miso is a good place to start. It’s mild and buttery (and my favorite!). It’s also very good for your health :)

3. Barbara says

These recipes look wonderful and I can’t wait to try those blueberry muffins. Beautiful photos and all around a stunning web site. This is one to watch!

• theclevercarrot says

Thank you! If you have any questions, let me know. Enjoy the recipe :)

I’ve just come across your blog and saw your reference to this in the about us section. OMG YUM! I’ll be making this later today to liven up some previously boring lunch salads. Thanks :)

Hi Mel! Oh, I hope you do end up making this!! It’s good on pretty much everything. I would drink it if I could ;)Thanks for stopping by.